1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Dex, bye bye windows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Apr 8, 2017.

1. what

what Member

The battery is charged when you use dex, their is a built in fan. Dex is usb-c, which is fast charging. You can use, on dex, Virtual Machine, Amazon Workspaces and others to run programs that require it, you can get a virtual workspace for as little as 10.00 a month with amazon.

Anything you can do on your phone you can do while using dex: text, make and receive a call, etc.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Despite all the jokes made at what's expense, this is actually a good thread / discussion topic.

In the video, the user is clearly using his computer and phone at the same time; he made a call from a phone to his phone that's Dex'd, and you could answer it from the monitor. If you have programs that don't run on Android, then...don't get the Dex? And the Dex probably charges your phone as it's in the cradle; seems pretty obvious.

Agree with what and the other users that say this will satisfy PC users that don't require the computer much. E-mail/Youtube/Word/Browser is probably about 80% of people out there. The fact that the Dex seems portable is also a huge selling point.

You can also be a gamer and have one of these; it's not like they're mutually exclusive. Hell, I just built a gaming PC this spring, and I wouldn't mind a Dex at the moment.

3. what

what Member

There's something else also don't most Gamers either game with Playstation or Xbox there are some PC gamers out there but even that section of Gaming is even smaller then the overall Gaming Community.

Honestly the people who actually need PCS are getting smaller and smaller by the day

#23 what, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing about the gaming is that even if there are a lot of adults who don't really game on their PC (like me), a great many of those have kids who play at least some games (Minecraft at minimum) on the PC (like me). So while you could argue the percentages of the number of people that would need the processing power to run decent games is small, when you start looking at households I feel like the percentage changes a lot. And generally the need for desktops is driven by household more than individuals, I would guess.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

These pseudo desktops using Android are worthless to professions like engineering that need to use programs like Matlab, Solidworks or some sort of IDE for those CompE/CompSci guys.

THis wouldn't be viable in industry. For personal use, sure? I guess, but I would rather just get a dedicated cheap chromebook if that were the case.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So what study did you pull this number from? The peer-reviewed what journal of completely made up "facts"?

Even using this to remote into a terminal for programming work is useless if I ever need to use an IDE like fchowd said.

It has its uses though. For basic web browsing and if you don't need mobility.

#26 RedRedemption, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I dunno about this. Hitting the deprioritization cap will be pretty quick.

Also, what about if I want to stream to my Chromecast? I won't have an internet enabled WiFi network anymore for my devices to sit on. I suppose you can just cast your phone screen to the chromecast directly. I've never tried using Chromecast without a network.

Aesthetically, looks cool. Looks like Chrome OS (I have the Chromebook Pixel). With the new Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro, the OS now supports the Google Play store. Premium build with a nice touchscreen. I'd rather get that than have to buy a new phone.

If Google can update the Android OS to support the Dex, it might make it more attractive so you can use it with any Android device. But it seems like it's an S8 only thing now, and perhaps future Samsung devices. I already got burned by the Note 7, and am left with a Gear VR I couldn't return along with a couple of cases.

The data needs and casting would still be my main issues. Cool toy though.

No one is looking to these things to code or do any CAD stuff on.

8. what

what Member

That's the big thing. It seems like a niche idea that can be abandoned quickly. I like it because I like having a desktop keyboard and a big monitor options, but most people are using tablets to have a bigger screen.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Samsung is eventually going to separate itself from Android...they're building the infrastructure necessary to become their own powerhouse, without having to rely on google/android. Bixby is an example of Samsung trying to find itself a replacement for Google Assistant.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That narrative has slowly died...Touchwiz is greatly improved and nowhere near the dumpster fire it used to be. It's one of the better skins now, outside of stock android.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Can you multitask on a smart-phone or tablet, ie update a word document and surf google split screen, while playing a streaming video or audio in the background all at the same time? Not from a memory standpoint, but just functionally?

How much of a bandwidth or memory hog is a Citrix based app?

12. fchowd0311

Exactly which is why I disagree with the title of the thread.

13. fchowd0311

They realized the service side of the software market that allows its customers to be the eventual product is where the money maker is. Selling hardware is just not enough today.

Sucks for Samsung because no way will they be able to be better at what Google does(search algorithms and voice recognition) in terms of an assistant.

14. what

what Member

Not even google uses stock android anymore. So, you know, there's that. Also, from the videos I've seen of Samsung 8, touchwiz is very minimalist on that device.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have an S7. TouchWiz still sucks. Samsung has never demonstrated that it can build a platform that is stable and sleek that people enjoy. Go ahead and early adopt something from a company with a poor track record in this department, RIP.

16. EssTooKayTD

You can split screen on some phones these days, and it's ok. Although some apps will state they don't support being in split screen, typically games.

Not sure I get where you are coming from. All Google devices (Nexus/Pixel) are stock android, and is the main draw for those devices.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Sure you can. Android supports split screen mode natively now. That's two apps at once right there. Samsung has supported split screen on Touchwiz/Grace UX for years.

18. what

what Member

The pixel is not stock android, really neither is the nexus. Both run skins. Educate yourself.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm one of the few who hates the stock android UI. It's just very unattractive and not user friendly.

20. EssTooKayTD

Educate myself? Nit-picking a bit aren't we? I think we can agree the perception is that Google devices run a stock or near stock version of the OS, often referred to "stock android." I have no idea what else we can call it.

But getting back to the original point of someone's post. I tried TouchWiz on the Note7, but ended up loading the Google launcher or whatever it's called fairly quickly. BUT, as I mentioned before, the UI for Dex, looks very similar to Chrome OS which may be hints at them going towards a more stock experience on their phone UI as well. Seems silly for them to do Bixby or whatever. Cortana is on top of her OS. Same for Siri and Google Assistant. Bixby is on top of an OS that already has the functionality.