1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Using the John Lopez "rule": 26 wonderlic---27 starts---60% completion
    (Don't have their wonderlics but based on the other two...)

Mitchell Trubisky ?/13/67.5%
    Deshaun Watson ?/35/67.4%
    Pat Mahomes ?/29/63.6%
    Nathan Peterman ?/25/60.0%
    DeShone Kizer ?/23/60.8%

Brad Kaaya ?/39/60.6%
    Davis Webb ?/25/61.5%
    Chad Kelly ?/22/63.9%

Josh Dobbs ?/35/61.5%
    C.J. Beathard ?/28/58.1%
    Cooper Rush ?/40/62.4%
    Alek Torgersen ?/28/65.1%
    Zach Terrell ?/40/67.1%
    Antonio Pipkin ?/?/64.7%
    Wes Lunt ?/26/58.2%
    Mitch Leidner ?/40/56.4%

Nick Mullens ?/35/62.3%
    Gunner Kiel ?/26/60.6%
    Trevor Knight ?/26/55.5%

Sefo Liufau ?/40/62.8%
    Jerod Evans ?/14/63.5%
    Seth Russell ?/17/56.9%

And Bill Parcells' 'rules'...

1. Be a three-year starter
    2. Be a senior in college
    3. Graduate from college
    4. Start 30 games
    5. Win 23 games
    6. Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
    7. Tally a completion rate of 60 percent or higher

How the "big four" did:

Watson: Meets five of seven rules
    Kizer: Meets two of seven rules
    Trubisky: Meets two of seven rules
    Mahomes: Meets two of seven rules

But I suppose you can make an argument against any/all these guys...

Trubisky - only 13 starts? Couldn't beat out Marquise Williams who's not even in the NFL? (He had a cup of coffee in the summer with GB/Minnesota)
    Watson - Same thing as Teddy, small frame? Arm strength and/or accuracy questions?
    Mahomes/Webb - Air Raid QBs? Wish in one hand, crap in the other. If I'm an owner, GM, coach, why should I believe these two are gonna break the trend of Air Raid QBs being bad in the NFL? It's not good. It's early but Jared Goff, not helping the stigma. But Mahomes & Webb are totally gonna be different.

And Is Bill O'Brien even gonna be around next year (or in the long haul)? Do I even want Bill O'Brien "training" these QBs? His "very complex/complicated" offense? Apparently the one only Bill Belichick/Tom Brady can run? And if you don't have Brady ... ?

And when they say you'll have to build it around your QB to fit him (someone like a D.Watson), that's not Bill O'Brien. Pat Mahomes? They don't even have a playbook at Texas Tech.

So I don't even know if I want any of these QBs around Billy or if Billy will even be here a year from now. Give me "QB guru" Kubiak over "QB guru" O'Brien.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think he can fit those and the stuff I put on the board earlier about him suggests he's got an insane work ethic, high football IQ, and understanding of different systems. He went from a mid round guy to a potential first rounder because of it

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Could you do the Parcells rules for all the QBs you have listed and not just the big 4 please?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see any reason to dislike him significantly more than any of the other alleged top QB prospects. I still think it's a crapshoot with any of them because none of them are even close to a finished product.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yup scheme, coaching, and offensive weapons and line are going to be the keys

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cal ran an air raid as well, aptly naming it the Bear Raid. Their coach was part of the Leach coaching tree.

Like Mahomes, coming from an air raid is the biggest concern for me. Goff's rookie performance, although not entirely his fault, didn't help.

7. Fantasma Negro

So did this guy

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

One of the reasons I like Watson the most of the bunch is because he needs the least development. I don't trust this coaching staff to develop QBs anymore.

CallMeTheDream and J.R. like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah. Also interesting is that Tom Brady once (kind of) lost his job to Drew Henson.

How'd that work out?

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

And Carson Wentz split time with Brock Jensen

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those are all great qualities, but why the red flags over accuracy and decision making? I am no expert on any of the college prospects, so enjoy reading these posts to gain a better understanding of who we might be looking for to fill our roster needs. We've had so many quarterbacks who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with accuracy, so anyone with those types of concerns does make me nervous. But, I'm really excited over the thought of us finally putting a QB as a priority in the draft, and possibly drafting one first round. I look back at all the QB's we passed up in the past 4 years who were available for us to grab, and it is sickening. We are so desperate for someone to lead this team and not disappoint us week after week.

12. CallMeTheDream

As we're getting closer to the draft, I'm starting to think Watson is the only safe first round pick. While he's still a gamble because that's how bad this class is, look at his track record. I've kind of fallen off the Trubisky train and never even entertained the thought of Mahomes. If we can't get Watson at 25 we need to stick to the plan of getting a RT. Then you get a safety in the second, TE third, RB fourth, LB fifth, and go with Chad Kelly in the 6th. From here just draft for depth such as CB and OL

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

They didn't do so well with desperation last season.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Isn't that the truth!!! At least we won't be paying that kind of money for a draft pick, and hopefully our pick ends up better than anyone we have traded for since Schaub left. The possibility of that is really exciting to me.

Nimo likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

So you are saying Watson or no QB pick until the 6th? I will be devastated if we don't pick a QB first round. I don't really care what people say about the draft class. I want the best guy we can get in the first round and hope he is better than Savage and Weeden. Better yet, I hope he ends up being better than any QB in our franchise history. I'd rather take a chance than just go with people's opinions, because we all know that often it's the ones nobody expected to be great who ended up surprising everyone. I liked what I saw in Mahomes at Pro Day, but am no expert on making a judgement on any of the prospects. I just hope our scouts and management do some serious study and analyzing these guys, and pick the guy who can do what so many have not been able to. Mahomes intrigues me, simply because of the Brett Favre type comparisons with his ability to throw a rocket of a ball down the field. If he can do that without making as many mistakes as Brock did, then we would have something to be excited about with our speedy receivers.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Brock also lost his job to Savage...

17. Two Sandwiches

I'm getting dizzy. Incomplete, circular logic.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Christian hackenberg

20. Two Sandwiches

Webb, to me, and Mahomes, to an extent, are OB quarterbacks. That's why they're the two I want.

zeeshan2 likes this.