1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Westbrook guaranteed to win the MVP. OKC already clinched 5th seed and coming for the 4th seed. They've been winning non-stop lately and all the Westbrook lovers are idiots so they think he plays with a d-league supporting cast while averaging triple-dbl.

3. jayfree

jayfree Member

?
    [​IMG]

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden just needs to have another Cavs like performance against OKC in a win when we play them on national TV coming up. That game officially knocked Lebron out of consideration for actually winning the award. I'm looking forward to Harden knocking out another contestant.

against Kawhi: 39 and 12
    against Lebron: 38 points and a triple double
    against Russ: thinking he might need a 30-40 point triple double and the win to cement himself as the MVP

DonKnock, Stormy1234 and jayfree like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden has an advantage over the other candidates because he will be in most voter's top two. Some will value wins too much which would make Lenord 1st and Harden second. Some will value indivudal stats too much and place Westbrook first and Harden second. And then there is the third type of voter that will always vote LeBron. Second place voting for those people are up in the air. Harden will win because he'll be most consistently in the top two in voting.

#1185 fchowd0311, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Habby52

Habby52 Member

I think if Harden gets 21 triple doubles, and Westbrook doesn't get 40 and doesn't pass Oscar Robertson, Harden should be able to win the MVP award. Harden would have had a triple trouble in 25% of the seasons games, and a FAR better record than the thunder with Hardens triple doubles being more impressive than Westbrook's.

That said, if the Clippers keep losing and the Thunder get the 5 or maybe even 4 seed, there's no way on earth Westbrook doesn't get MVP. His schedule is not tough either, so its likely. The Rockets HAVE TO beat OKC next Sunday. And Harden has to go off in that game.

DonKnock and Stormy1234 like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The triple double is what the NBA does to market to fairweather fans.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This story will prompt assholes to vote him 5th on the ballot.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Harden has put it all out there these last two games...offensive end defensive end you name it. Watching him go for that block he fell down and that early steal showed me how eager he was. Its hard to sustain that but he has won a great deal of my respect. He has turned on the jets at the right time and wants this MVP and post season success badly.

DonKnock, ISOBall, Houstunna and 5 others like this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Sucky Smith, who writes the race to the MVP on nba.com and hasn't held back about why WB should win (baseless claims ---nothing to back it up) had this article today. Subtly hinting towards something. Gee.. I wonder who this clearly supports. Just b.c Durant left we need to crown WB?

Wicked numbers and jaw-dropping performances alone won’t do it.

Unrelenting consistency and undeniable impact bolster the case, but they don’t necessarily seal the deal.

The chase for the Kia MVP is always a complex matrix of components, but perhaps none is more important than the narrative surrounding a player’s campaign.

James Harden knows this well, having put together a worthy effort two seasons ago when he led the Houston Rockets to the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference only to lose out to Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors in the first of his back-to-back MVP seasons.

[​IMG]0:59
    Dig into the numbers and more from this week's Race to the MVP column.

Harden had the the requisite statistical ammunition working for him. But Curry had the stats and the better narrative (the didn’t-see-him-coming factor was strong). Harden won the peer vote later that summer when he was the inaugural National Basketball Players Association’s MVP pick for the 2014-15 season, after Curry bagged the Larry O’Brien Trophy.

Harden believes he has a stronger case this time around, even if his former Oklahoma City Thunder teammate Russell Westbrook has a more intriguing narrative with the load he’s shouldering after Kevin Durant’s departure via free agency for Golden State.

“I do, 100 percent,” he said after collecting his 17th triple-double of the season in a rout of the Los Angeles Lakers. “Two years ago the Warriors were in first place and Steph had sat out the fourth quarters of some games and what not. This year it’s almost the same way. My numbers are comparable to almost anybody in this league and then we’re third in the West when basically everybody basically counted us out. And we’re just winning. We’re having fun and no other All-Stars on my team or guys that have ever been All-Stars on my team. I don’t want to get all in depth with that. But we’re having fun and we’re winning and that’s all that matters.”

If only it were that simple.

The underlying story for both Harden and Westbrook will no doubt play a role in who ultimately walks away with the hardware this season.

They’ve both put together stunning seasons, surprising even, in this year of the triple-double. Harden has reinvented himself as a point guard in his first year in coach Mike D’Antoni’s system and leads the league in assists (11.3 per game) and also being among the top three scorers in the league.

Westbrook’s putting together a season for the ages, leading the league in scoring (31.7) and ranking third in assists (10.4), while having already surpassed Wilt Chamberlain for the second-most triple-doubles in a season and chasing Oscar Robertson’s record of 41 in a season.

He picked up his fourth straight triple-double and 34th of the season Thursday night in Toronto (24 points, 16 assists and 10 rebounds) in a win over the Raptors.

It’ll be difficult for the voters to overlook what Westbrook’s doing, even with the monster season Harden has produced for a Rockets team that is a legitimate contender in the Western Conference.

For what it’s worth, Curry has already endorsed Harden.

“You kind of have to reward the better team, I would think, record wise,” Curry told Dan Patrick earlier this week. “That’s just kind of going in the history of the award. So I think James will edge him out just off that.”

Westbrook, of course, could care less about the opinion of the two-time MVP or anyone else.

“I don’t care; don’t matter what he say,” Westbrook told reporters of Curry’s comments. “Who’s he?”

Again, it’s all about the narrative.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/...tives-james-harden-russell-westbrook-mvp-race

b****ass author. Harden playing out of his mind, makes it a tie with Westbrook, but puts him below Westbrook.
    U can tell who the fker wants to win, u see he puts Westbrook on top of Harden. Not alphabetically first/last. tied for first but westbrook has to be on top.

DonKnock and Houstunna like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Sekou Smith's of the world are why i find it hard to believe he'll win. Too many antiquated media members who don't understand what they're fully talking about. Believe otherwise when I see it.

mario_v likes this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they are 6th

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Sekou has always been like that, he will switch Harden from number 1 even after 1 loss

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

deserved own thread :)

#1195 jayfree, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Harden is showing he is MVP by leaving it all out there. Playing heavy minutes, always coming back after he is kncoked to the ground, no complaints, putting up massive numbers that result in W's and yet these ****ers just look for the triple double

nevermind the fact that Harden has 19 of them himself and many ore bigger triple doubles and 7 more wins than WB

I would be disgusted if WB were to win it

DonKnock and BigM like this.
  17. Wylo

Wylo Member

I don't know who is responsible for our horrendous perimeter defense lately, but Harden and other wing players need to play better D from the 3PT line, or else we're gonna keep struggling against sub-par competition and hand over the MVP trophy to Westbrick.

#1197 Wylo, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Jeff Biglydick

Don't ask me about the defense, It is not my fault. Ask Jeff - Mike AntoniO

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

These morons on sports reporters slobbed all over Westbrook. Apparently he's playing with scrubs since Durant left and he should be given MVP just for keeping that team afloat. That's a ****ing real comment. Westbrook lost another MVP candidate and his team still can make the playoffs!!!! Unbelievable.

He also comes to play every single night. Every night guys. Nobody else in this discussion plays every night am I right?

It's amazing how easily they gloss over Harden. Curry and Harden were neck and neck for MVP and GS had the best record so it wasn't tough losing that race. This should not even be close in favor of Harden.

DonKnock and mario_v like this.
  20. macan

macan Member

Media just hate humble low-key player like Harden or Leonard. They like sxxking on Curry and westbrook kinda fancy bunch. LaVar Ball could get a MVP before harden ffs. let's get a ring to shup them up!