1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TEXANS TRADE BROCK OSWEILER TO CLEVELAND BROWNS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Osweiler is super wealthy, so I don't feel bad for him. But, he's had a bad day.

He got traded to CLEVELAND. Oh, and about a thousand people on national TV have said nothing but how much he SUCKS. I don't remember anyone getting trashed this much by the national press and fans everywhere.

But, he is really bad at football.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think he's having a great day. He's garbage and being paid like he's great.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

+1

This is really an unprecedented amount of professional embarrassment for a pro athlete, and it's the offseason.

Uprising likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who says they would have traded him to us?
    I mean . .. if i can get the same deal with the BROWNS or the TEXANS . .. I pick the browns
    The browns are not a threat. . . Texans with a competent QB is . . ..

Rocket River

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree.
    I hate this . . .. RICK GETS ALL THE BLAME . . and O'BRIEN GETS ALL THE FAME attitude
    Be balance. . . . .I'm not Rick biggest fan but you cannot call every bad deal his. . .then when a good deal some around give everyone else the credit.

he either does the job . . . or he doesn't

Rocket River

Fulgore and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL!!

Rocket River

raining threes and DunKingDanny like this.
  7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

where did you hear that? last i heard the Pats want the browns #1 overall pick and their #1 next year for Jimmy Garpopaolouw

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

IMO Rick doesn't want to make any decisions

He just gets the guys the head coach wants

When it doesn't work, the head coach gets fired, not him

Which is likely to happen to Bill O'Brien if the offense is last again

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bingo. Hear so many times that JJ, Hop, Duane etc wasn't his pick but Sam Montgomery, nix, and strong were all Rick.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Busy day at work...just now chiming in....

all I've got to say is....WOW. Nearly unprecedented trade for the NFL. Crazy.

11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

McNair was a big driving force behind getting Osweiler in my opinion. He desperately wanted that ever-elusive franchise QB and giving up a bonanza of picks to trade up in the draft wasn't up his or anyone else's alley. Osweiler only cost money and they had the cap space to take a shot. Whether you like Rick or not, he just did what his boss wanted him to do. I doubt O'Brien or Rick were truly enamored with Brock. They just went along with their owner and talked themselves into it because the draft move would be too expensive pick wise and they had the cap room to take a shot on a young FA QB with supposed upside who had adequately started multiple games for a playoff team. He also had the Elway stamp of approval. I'm sure it made McNair feel good in a way too due to the fact that he was taking a supposed franchise QB from Kubiak after having to watch Wade and him win a Super Bowl.

The big question that I always wonder about when it pertains to the Texans and the QB position is what happened in the 2014 draft? By all accounts, O'Brien loved Jimmy G and Braddock says the team even thought about trading back into the first to snag him. Then they take XSF and let NE get Garoppolo a few picks before their pick at the beginning of the third. Were they just completely blindsided by Belichick? Is this part of why O'Brien and Smith have a bit of an icy relationship? Did Rick say we can get him with the first pick in the third and XSF is a first rounder on our board so let's wait on Jimmy G?

12. Buck Turgidson

I think it's admirable for the org to just jettison the guy. I'm pleasantly surprised.

How much money does this give them to spend?

I just got here, apologies if I'm asking a stupid question.

DonnyMost and kaleidosky like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Saves them $10 million on the cap this year. They now have about $31 million in cap room.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

me all day at work..

Uprising likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To me, the savings are nominal... they just had to get him off this team. The fact that they will have more money, along with an extra pick this year, is pure gravy.

Most of the time, the front office/coaching staff are tied to their QB acquisition... whether its a high draft pick or a free agent signing. In this case, thanks to the early abort, they all may be the first ever contingent to survive a terrible/failed QB signing... and actually get an opportunity to develop a new one (with hopefully one veteran presence to guide the new one).

16. Buck Turgidson

Thanks dude.

Enough to resign Bouye and a free agent OT? (plus other spare parts, like a QB) I hope?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bouye is gone and free agent OT's cost a fortune.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bouye is gone already

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Bouye got paid a crap ton by the jags and will get 44M the first 3 years of the contract. Not worth it; we get a 3rd round comp for it.

OTs are way too expensive; kalil and Okung got way too much money

deb4rockets and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  20. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Bouye got 5 years 67 million dollars with 26 mill guaranteed from the Jags. Texans will most likely get a 2018 3rd round comp pick for losing him. Check out what guys like Matt Kalil and Whitworth are getting to get an idea of the money being spent on offensive tackles. It's bananas.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/