1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 3/8/2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 7, 2017.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

To Nook, better defense can lead to more turnovers,layups which can ease the pressure on the 3 point shooters. Better rebounding can also lead to more attempts.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I mentioned this on Twitter, but it feels like LouWill is a bit out of synch and not in a flow. I think he is thinking too much about the MDA 3/layup approach instead of just "scoring." I saw a number of times where he would beat his man, and could easily pull up for a midrange jumper. He is good at that and did that all the time with the Lakers. He just needs to "score" and get in a rhythm.

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

he's been taking some horrible looking two point attempts.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Madmax bring Madmax, lol.

Joe Fan likes this.
  7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Rockets could of still won that game if they cut the 3 point shot, and cut Ariza playing at the 4, and cut Gordon at Small Forward. Last night's loss was all due to the 3 point shot not hitting, and bad starting line up. They need stop relying too much on the 3 pointers because it won't work all the time. I did underestimated the Jazz. But the Rockets coaching staff beat themselves last night.

#1027 thedude077, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. goldoil

goldoil Member

Well, we need more physicality up front.

So I think that going after some type of big front court player would be an improvement of what they have now.

I just love how you had to disagree with everything I said.

You're one of those overly optimistic fans who hate it when anyone says anything bad about the Rockets.

You have too much faith in their three-point shooting as if that will be their saving grace in the playoffs.

They won't do anything in the playoffs, playing the way they are.

They have been struggling the entire season against half-court teams.

Those 3-pointers that you love aren't going to be falling all the time in the playoffs, when the game gets more physical and you have to go up against teams who have great perimeter defense.

Please, they won't make it out of the 2nd round, unless an upset happens involving the Warriors or the Spurs.

#1028 goldoil, Mar 9, 2017
  9. goldoil

goldoil Member

Their losses to the Heat and Spurs prove that they struggle against half court teams with physical front courts.

And the wins against the Grizzlies are good and everything but they are not the Spurs and the Warriors.

Add that to the losses against the Atlanta Hawks who are stronger than the Rockets up front.

Remember when they blew the 20-point lead with like 8 minutes left?

You have to be joking if you think the Rockets will make it past the Spurs and Warriors with the team they have now, unless injuries plague those teams, which I hope doesn't.

10. goldoil

goldoil Member

Whether many of you like it or not, the Rockets won't be contenders with the roster they have, nor with the style of play that they possess.

Sorry, you have to have some kind of inside/slashing/mid-range game to win an NBA championship.

I don't mind them shooting 3-pointers but they shoot too many imo.

Maybe within the next 2 seasons, the Rockets can make the correct changes to their lineup and become contenders.

They are exciting to watch.

Unfortunately, excitement isn't enough to win an NBA championship.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I agree. They rely too much on the 3 point shots. That's not going to win championships. What will they do when the 3 point shots won't hit? Absolutely nothing. If Mike D'Antoni doesn't change the playing style, they are done.

goldoil likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I made it clear what I thought in the previous post. I don't see either team destroying Houston this year. If they were I would agree with your for sure attitude about having no chance whatsoever. Those loses don't prove any more that we don't already know. In fact they've been up double digits in there games and even gotten victories against the likes of GS and SA this year. They're obviously doing something right. It's a matter of sustaining it and cleaning up some areas

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

You sound like Barkley. Once upon a time you can't win a championship shooting jumpers and need a big guy you dump in down to get you buckets inside. GS and Clev just proved otherwise

14. BackdoorHarden

Don't tell Chuck that! Chuck still doesn't realize the Warriors won a championship and the Cavs, a jump shooting team other than LBJ won a NBA championship. And if the Cavs or Warriors win a championship this year, it's going to be because of their Jump shooting.

Why didn't Thunders win a championship last year? No jump shooting.

15. BackdoorHarden

The top 5 teams in the NBA, 4 of them happens to be the Top 4 in NBA 3's shooting. Only Spurs not in top 4.

Rockets,

Cavs,

Boston

Warriors

But Suprs are #1 in FG% 3's.

Top 3's FG%

Spurs

Cavs

Warriors

Anyway you look at it, you have to be able to shoot the 3's

16. goldoil

goldoil Member

The Cavs and Warriors have a much better inside game than the Rockets.

No team in the league relies on the three-pointer more than the Rockets as evidenced by the fact that they make and attempt more threes than any other team.

You need a change of pace, I'm not saying you shouldn't shoot threes.

Just don't rely on the three too much of the time.

I still stand by my opinion that the Rockets won't be contenders until they stop relying on the three-pointer so much.

#1036 goldoil, Mar 9, 2017
  17. goldoil

goldoil Member

I don't think anybody is saying that you shouldn't shoot threes.

The NBA is different now and three point shooting is an integral part of NBA offenses.

Saying that, there is a difference is shooting the three well and just jacking up threes too much of the time, which the Rockets do too much.

I see the Rockets oftentimes drive in the paint and kick it out to the three point line, even when they have a good shot in the paint.

Even the Suns with Nash and Stoudemire had an inside game that the Rockets wish they had, despite the fact that they shot a lot of threes.

Anyways, if you want the Rockets to get better and to be true contenders, then they will need to stop relying on the three point shot so much and develop some kind of inside toughness.

You guys will see, once the Rockets are knocked out.

#1037 goldoil, Mar 9, 2017
  18. goldoil

goldoil Member

I love the hell out of the three-point ball and if I were an NBA guard, I would make that a main element of my game but as much as I wish that my Rockets were possible contenders, they are not.

Saying that, I think the Rockets are on the right track and that they can only improve from here on out.

But they will have to make some necessary changes to their roster.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

The cavs and warriors are just as comparable to the rockets as far as inside game. None of there bigs are game changers inside.

You play accordingly with your personnel and philosophy. This season the rockets have an actual identity for once and it should be well known what all that entails.

Whether people like it or not doesn't really matter. It has shown to have positive results and isn't changing 60 games into the season. What they can do is clean up the areas that have cost them some of these w's especially being up double digits

20. BackdoorHarden

Exactly. Warriors had 0 inside post game when they won Championship

Cavs won only because of Irving drive and outside shooting and Lebron found his 3 point shot in the Finals after not being able to shoot the entire season.

Warriors and Cavs only won because of the 3's. Warriors couldn't hit any 3's, Cavs did. That's the difference.

All these team will live and die by the 3's . Warriors, Celtic, Spurs, Rockets, Cavs. That's the Game today. 3 > 2.

The math is simple. 33.4% FG from 3's is > 50% FG from 2.

DO THE MATH - Signed MIT MOREY