1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Northwest Mall - the saddest mall in the world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The first date I ever went on was at Willowbrook Mall back in 1997. In fact, that same girl gave me my first handy at the movie theater like 2 weeks after that. That place will always have a special place in my heart.....I still get a semi-chub every time I drive past it. Ok, that last part was a lie, but everything else is true.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Haven't been back to Baytown full-time going on twenty years, I believe San Jacinto Mall has been or will be demolished soon for remodeling as two of the major anchors were Service Merchandise and Ward's and were never replaced. Apparently Baytown itself has been growing both due to refining expansion but also as Houston proper gets more saturated; that's created a lot more strip malls and major retail on Garth whereas the mall used to be the only choice.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Houston's malls mostly suck. Galleria is still top notch, but there's a huge drop-off afterwards.

What is Houston's 2nd best mall?

NorthWest is easily the worst.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Memorial City is an easy number 2 for me. Katy Mills was pretty nice but its been awhile since ive been.

The Galleria is the best in Texas probably of the best in the country. The vast majority of malls ive seen are pretty interchangable.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I bet there are some decent malls in California. I remember going to Norwalk and Huntington when my dad moved out there with Bechtel, just the energy out there was something else.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I grew up close to Willowbrook years ago (we lived in Prestonwood), how is it today? I want to say I left around 93 for Austin.

I still visit Houston regularly, but haven't headed out that way in 5 years or so. Probably haven't been to Willowbrook mall in 10 years.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Last time I went to mall of the mainland all they had were kiosks that sold weaves and the movie theatre.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I thought the Baytown mall was just a sears with a bunch of open space behind it?

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's awesome now and they are still expanding. Tuesday's you can get 1/2 priced bottles of wine and happy hour sushi at the Japanese restaurant!

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Just basing on attendance, probably baybrook. It's parking lot gets close 100% full during Christmas and has just had a huge expansion.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The energy is "vibe".

Cali's malls are mostly great. The Galleria is #1, and LA owns 2-10. I remember Downey and San Bernadino being the worst over there, but still better than 90% of here. Memorial City, Katy Mills, First Colony are decent, but not great. Ontario Mills in Cali is 2-story. So many one-stories here.

Galleria is getting a better setup. Galleria III, Saks, and old Macy's were torn down and a new Saks now borders Sage St. The area from Galleria II extends (two strories) to the new Saks with new stores being added.

It's good to hear more local malls are renovating.

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I like Willowbrook. It's been remodeled almost every 10 years and it's more "decent" every time. Last time I went it was under major reconstruction and they added a 2 story Dicks Sporting next to the food court. They weren't finished last I was there.

Don't live close to Willowbrook anymore, but still would be my go to if I lived close by

EDIT: They also have an H&M which I think was the first one in Houston along with the one in Baybrook Mall

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The recent updates to the Galleria are really nice.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was at Willowbrook a few years ago to meet some family for lunch and it was still pretty hopping. Had to park far away and we went into the mall to get a cookie for my kids. It's still very nice and as I said, it was really crowded.

I think one thing that helps with Willowbrook is that it's totally surrounded by restaurants and shops, etc. Keeps the area from ever looking run down or dead like it looks around NW Mall.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Being old and all now, I think malls suck in general. But, Galleria has a special place in my heart as exceptionally objectionable. I loathe that place. If that's the best mall in the city or -- shudder -- the country, I fear for our future.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's a weird thing to say.

KingCheetah likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Mr. Motiejunas

Willowbrook is decent during the week, but the urbanization of Willowbrook is very apparent on the weekends.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, man... that thread might be locked but the legend continues. That was a mess of a thread

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh....I still like the Galleria. Especially around Christmas. It always puts me in the spirit.

The ice rink is one of the best people-watching spots in the entire city.

CCity Zero likes this.