1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Signs Order to Restrict Refugees from 7 Countries But Not Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Jan 25, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd check to see what wire transfers happened between Iraq and Washington DC recently...

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On first blush, the new travel band doesn't look as offensive as the original travel ban. I still think it's an empty gesture that inconveniences people for no reason, but they at least fixed the worst problems of the original.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is a textbook example of lowering the bar.
    At least Trump didn't lie about anything today, as far as we know. Another great day in presidential history.

Yung-T and Chilly_Pete like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

5. JuanValdez

Don't forget about the address he gave the other day which will probably go down in history as the greatest speech ever made by a US president because he managed to read from the teleprompter without indulging in any irrelevant asides to attack the credibility of the media.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

7. NewRoxFan

Why? Does it justify banning a religious group?

8. NewRoxFan

Seems to me that if the goal was to get other countries to increase or improve their vetting processes then the administration would have been better off working directly with other governments to do so instead of punishing individuals and families.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

10. JuanValdez

And they'll figure out what's going on in the next 120 days? It's been about 120 days since the election. What have these guys been doing?

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Tillerson said the Iraqis were brave soldiers helping the U.S. I think he means to say they were wrong to ban Iraq the first time. Hope you're not f%#$ing up again this time, Trumpeteers!

12. NewRoxFan

Well, I reckon in the three weeks between Muslim Ban v1.0 and v2.0 the Iraqis became brave and improved their vetting process.

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://immigrantdoctors.org/

What do immigrant doctors bring to America?

14 million doctors' appointments are provided each year by physicians from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — the six countries targeted by the recent Executive Order. They are spread out across America, providing vital services throughout the Rust Belt and Appalachia, especially in Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, Indiana and Kentucky.

These doctors provide their services to millions of Americans, offering:
    • 1.2 million appointments per year in Michigan
    • 880,000 appointments per year in Ohio
    • 700,000 appointments per year in Pennsylvania
    • 210,000 appointments per year in West Virginia

The five cities with the highest share of doctors from targeted countries are:
    1. Detroit, Michigan
    2. Toledo, Ohio
    3. Los Angeles, California
    4. Cleveland, Ohio
    5. Dayton, Ohio
    In many of the places where these doctors work, longtime residents have seen jobs leave and life get harder. Their hospitals are often faced with a shortage of medical residents and doctors, and rely on immigrants to fill critical vacancies.

Doctors from the six affected countries provide 2.3 million appointments each year in areas with doctor shortages.

Patients across America are relying on their doctors from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. These professionals provide critical services to Americans by helping them bring their pregnancies to term, managing their diabetes, or performing the surgeries they need.

Limiting visas for citizens of these countries makes it harder for these doctors to live and work in the United States. No one should have to choose between seeing their family and the place they've made home.

The ban also shuts out the next generation of doctors who want to come and serve communities in America.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If I recall my history teachings, the Statue of Liberty was given to the US by France, not Somalia.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

If I may bring up something that has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.

B-Bob and joshuaao like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Your recollection of history teaching is correct! It was given by France. And the American poet Emma Lazarus' sonnet was added to the base:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! As long as they aren't Muslims, of course!"

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hahahaha! P-shaw. We're going to cut all that arts funding b/c America does not need to be funding poetry. We may even take down that plaque and hammer up one of POTUS's most awesome tweets instead. Yeah!

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I wonder if he had Western "refuse" in mind. Besides, Emma Lazanobodygivesa**** isn't exactly the arbiter of the US's immigration and national security policy priorities.

Canada also is a country I would not mind living in. Somalia is a country I would never want to live in - as are Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Iran, Yemen, and Syria...Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Cambodia, etc, etc.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very appropriate response.