1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[for the fwiw bin] Did Refs miss an 8-second violation to end the game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 6, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hmmm, that's not the way it's called in NCAA and HS.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

I know! So weird...

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I'm more concerned about the phantom call on the Kawhi three when the Rockets were up 6 late in the game and had momentum.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The more egregious miss is the David Lee foul on harden that held his arm up for kawhi to block the shot, or nene getting fouled on the put back attempt

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The NEVER call a foul late like this, we should stop complaining about it, and start designing plays around it.

Durvasa brought up the point that Harden never does that little step back 15 footer - that is a great shot late.

DD

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Every source I read says that it has to be possessed by a player in the front court for it to work

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. justtxyank

Yes we should stop going for layups because the refs don't call it a foul. Brilliant

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

How about not blow a 16 point lead so we won't have be complaining about these things.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

they called a ft lane violation man a ft lane violation happens every time. they could call it any time they wanted.

to me it's not hard to say OK the magic number is 2.6. they have to clear the ball on the final possession of the game so maybe we should make sure they do since its a big call and can determine the outcome of the game.

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Same. Every source except Ronnie Nunn who if memory serves is an ex NBA official. Pretty sure he would know...

I guess the NBA just has to be different.

11. TheresTheDagger

Man...THIS also. It wasn't even on a player on the key. They called it on Gordon. I can't remember if I've ever seen that call before when it involved a player behind the FT shooter.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

HP, can you freeze it where the ball is Not across ? IE it still might be an 8 second violation.

DD

13. justtxyank

Just read official NBA rule book...

is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think the 15 footer is absolutely something to look at but not over the layup. It was a great play choice by Harden and he didn't play for contact but played to finish, because your right that they don't call that at the end. What they do call is multiple fouls on a rebound/putback attempt. But they didn't so maybe not lol

DonKnock likes this.
  15. NickKent

NickKent Member

He's a former NBA official, genius.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That's not saying much

JVL713 likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i mean sure be snide it doesn't bother me but I was clearly asking out of curiosity because I didn't know.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The Rockets average 26.1 free-throw attempts per game and they received 17 today

also average 15 turnovers a game but they got 11 tonight so they took care of the ball and got more shots.

the spurs got their average 23

DonKnock likes this.
  19. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Ronnie Nunn is a former NBA referee for nineteen seasons and served for five years as the league's Director of Officials. More recently he was host of Making the Call With Ronnie Nunnon NBA TV. He officiated 1,134 regular season, 73 playoff, four NBA Finals games, and the 1996 NBA All-Star Game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Nunn

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It crosses at 2.7

Do you have a link to that? The only wording I see is not clear, which is why the Basketball Breaddown dudes asked Nunn for clarification on Twitter. Where did you find something that actually says breaking the plane of midcourt line?

Section VIII—Eight-Second Rule
    A team shall not be in continuous possession of a ball which is in its backcourt for more than 8 consecutive seconds.

Page 36 here: http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf
    I'm fine with whatever Nunn says. But there are several arguing with him, so that's because he can't cite definitive text in the Rule Book, but rather he says it's just the way it is in the NBA.

DonKnock likes this.