1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should American Jews feel threatened?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Nivos, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Nivos

Nivos Member

Jewish Schools have been under a wave of bomb threats throughout the states and Jewish cemeteries have been vandalized in the past few weeks.
    In general, there have been a dramatic uprise in anti-Semite incidents in the US in the past few years.
    Many blame Trump election as a trigger, however the anti-Semite incidents in schools and colleges have been on the rise for several years now.
    I don't want to turn it into a Trump thread, just wondering if you feel that this statement is true, and if so, why and where do you think it's coming from.

Some recent links:
    http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/New-bom...4QzREMjQ0NzI0MzJFMkQxNTY4RTIzMUE3MDQ0ODQzMjY=

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/26/us/jewish-cemetery-vandalism-philadelphia/

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No because president Trump have Jewish grand kids and He said "I am the least anti-Semitic person that you've ever seen in your entire life,"

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That doesn't exactly mean that some of his supporters are not.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4626738,00.html

Threats could motivated by hatred or love!!
    Radical Islamist militants! maybe
    Obsessed Gentiles ! maybe
    Old Nazi looking for a comeback!
    Neo Nazi!
    Slowing reverse/acceleration to immegration! maybe
    Right wing Protestant genital Zionist nuts !
    A propaganda by loyal boat lickers!
    All the above !

#4 Exiled, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Though, there are no valid reasons for this, I'd be curious what the reasoning is behind anti-Semitism in the United States in the 21st century.

What places/groups does this come from? Some possibilities off the top of my head...
    • Christians who are anti-Semetic a la Mel Gibson?
    • Teenage\Young "skinheads" who are just acting dumb and rebellious (i.e., I'm going to draw a swastika in the school bathroom cause I know it will get a reaction)?
    • KKK\White Nationalist Groups....same people that are racists against blacks/hispanics
    • People who are anti-Israel due to conflicts in the middle east?
    Are there any other groups? How big and significant do you think those groups are?

Has Donald Trump done anything specifically that can viewed as anti-Semitic? Or is it more about the things he hasn't said?

What would Donald Trumps reasons be for being anti-Semitic?

Sorry, I've heard and read a lot about the vandalism, but little about the "meat" of what is actually happening. Or does no one really know yet and it's all speculation/editorializing.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's surprising if they are seeing a rise of antisemitism on college campuses given where the DNC is at today. Colleges are great places to find naive pseudo-intellectual little kids so that's always going to be a liberal stronghold as a result. If the fringes of the left move in an antisemitic direction, college campuses will follow. They've been anti-Israeli for years, taking the next step to outright antisemitism (although that word isn't very accurate given what it really means) is probably a natural step from there.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

And to add to the confusion even more, it appears that the GOP and Trump are more "pro-Israel" from a policy perspective, and call out Democrats for not supporting Israel enough. Democrats, on the other hand, are less "pro-Israel" with regards to policy, yet seem to be leading the complaints about the GOP/Trump being anti-Semitic.

It all seems pretty muddled.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Has anyone considered the possibility that these threats come from followers of the same religion that would like to wipe Israel of the map in the Middle East?

9. trustme

trustme Member

Being pro or anti Israel has nothing to do with how you view Jews. I am critical of many Israeli policies towards Palestine (illegal settlements, child imprisonment, etc.), but I have no issues with Jews.

Exiled likes this.
  10. trustme

trustme Member

Something so lopsidedly anti-Muslim would only be expected from you.

Exiled likes this.
  11. trustme

trustme Member

AMS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes, Jews should feel threatened. I don't know if they should fear, but there is obviously more provocation against Jews than I remember in my lifetime. I do think it's kinda weird. I would think that for the modern American white nationalist, the Jew would have 'become white,' like the Irish. Antisemitism seems so anachronistic, even for racists. But then, I don't really hang with those guys, and I don't even know if they consider the Irish white.

There's a difference between being pro-Israel as a foreign policy position, and being anti-antisemitism as a domestic civil rights position. You don't have to like Jews at all to espouse they have their own homeland somewhere on the other side of the planet from you, especially if you consider it a hedge against some other society you feel hostile toward. There isn't anything inherently Jew-loving about being pro-Israel.

Exiled, leroy and No Worries like this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

OMG EVERYBODY SHOULD FEEL THREATENED UNDER TRUMP!!!11eleven

Trump is the most pro-Israel President we've had in a while, has a Jewish daughter, and has several Jews in his Cabinet and other key roles. Give me a break.

cml750 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is this the "I know a black person so I can't be racist" argument?

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The White Supremacist Nazis screaming "Jew S A" at Trump rallies might lead one to believe that the problem is on the other end of the spectrum.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Should American Jews feel threatened?

Are you asking if American Jews have a reason to feel that they are being threatened?

If they feel threatened, they feel threatened.

Should American Jews be concerned with the rise of anti Semitic? I think they should.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

May be something to think about...a bit longer for someone of your intellect...but Jewish centers aren't the only ones under threats. There have been a group of people throughout history that have shown they are willing to commit mass genocide, invade, pillage and enslave others. Knowing what you do about history and the groups facing increased threats what does that tell you?

Two innocent indian men were shot because some guy thought they were muslim. Funny enough, you save your outrage for your agenda here. Shame on you. You are exactly what is wrong with the world, hopefully we can flush shitstains like yourself and raise the next generation better.

Exiled likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When in reality the problem is on the fringes of both ends......the difference is that the fringe left has become mainstream given that you have a Nation of Islam type (something that is actually true, not just allegations of "white nationalism" without supporting evidence) as the runner up to be the DNC head who is now 2nd in command.

There's no question that pretty much all hate groups in America hate Jews......but those hate groups on the left are a LOT more socially acceptable these days and you'll find them being coddled at just about every college campus....."white nationalist" groups on the other hand are almost universally frowned upon by everyone but especially at college campuses. If there'a rise of incidents there, it's pretty clear where it would be coming from.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don't understand how people can be so stupid. Being pro-israel does nothing to protect american jews. My jewish friends can't fathom how stupid neocons are when it comes to this, denounce acts of violence, vandalism and take the appropriate steps to protect people here before making a statement about how pro-israel we are.

Its kind of like how you claim you aren't racist, but go on using the N word and start threads about innocent black men getting "popped."