1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we go after Casspi?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Feb 25, 2017.

1. 713KLP

713KLP Member

You'd rather bring in a rookie that can't shoot? MDA would not play him.

2. bongman

bongman Member

There is a reason why Pels cut Casspi. Why would you think we know any better? Additionally, your sentiments matches what the majority here thought when we got Beverley. Gentile is a competitor and has a lot fire in him.

3. dwhite

dwhite Member

Wrong.....he sucks and is not useful when healthy. Always excited when he plays Rockets because I know he chokes on all the big shots, plays no defense, misses 1 out of every 2 free throws religiously (kinda like Brewer always did), and turns the ball over wayyy too much= losses for the teams he plays on. WAKE UP FREAKING HOUSTON!!!!!!

4. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Casspi is nice, but we need a defensive minded center 1st, rather than a backup 3. I think Montrezl and Dekker can hold it down for now. This is why the Rockets obtained additional cap space. If Sanders is out of shape or Bogut is signing with Cavs or Warriors, who do we have left? It looks like we are playing Memphis or OKC in the 1st round. Both have tremendous size advantages. If we are not shooting well, we will struggle to win.

5. dwhite

dwhite Member

Continued......we are one player away from our first serious title run in years and have traded KJ McDaniels for this rare opportunity and you buffoons want that player to be OMRI CASSPI??????

6. 713KLP

713KLP Member

The Pelicans cut him because they are fighting an uphill battle to make the playoffs and Casspi won't be able to contribute for 4-6 weeks. We are not in the same situation as the Pelicans. We are a virtual lock for home court. Gentile, the next Beverley? Pretty unlikely.

We have 2 open roster spots (really 3, because we can cut Brown whenever) to add a defensive-minded C and a combo forward. We need both.

See above. Casspi fits. He would be a 10th man that can shoot, rebound, and finish. Really just insurance if one of our forwards go down. Cough Ryno Cough

#26 713KLP, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  7. Nivos

Nivos Member

So what are the options? Assuming Bogut will sign with the Cavs like the speculations.
    Pelicans cut him because they desperately need help to get into the Playoffs now. Casspi will be a free agent anyway so it's just a rental for a couple of months.
    We need a big body in the paint first, I won't argue that.
    But if Bogut is out of the question then we have 2 spots and 3.5 million for small contracts.
    Our wing rotation also needs depth in case of an injury in the Playoffs.
    I just had a look at all the options, and to be honest, I can't see a better candidate for this system that can fit right in.
    To me it's a low risk low reward move, when Sanders is a high risk high reward move.
    I'll take both options.

713KLP likes this.
  8. 713KLP

713KLP Member

^ This guy gets it. It is not either or. We can add the defensive-minded C we need (Sanders, Bogut) and the combo forward we need (Casspi).

#28 713KLP, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  9. dwhite

dwhite Member

My point is that if Casspi is playing that means someone else like Dekker is sitting and Casspi hurts you more than he helps you at all times because he would be the worst player on the team other than Bobby Brown. Take a risk on Sanders or (gulp) even TJ if nothing else develops.....but we need a "Big" if we want a legit shot to make it out of the West.

10. 713KLP

713KLP Member

Woah, man, Casspi playing does not mean Dekker sits. 10-man rotation. Bev, Harden, Ariza, Anderson, and Capela starting, Gordon, Lou Will, Dekker, one of the centers, and Casspi coming off the bench.

Once again, Casspi is not bad, he fits the system, and we can add him and a big.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Fair enough lol. Didn't say he was good anyway

12. trustme

trustme Member

No. He sucks. And he's injured.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No.

Would rather give Payton 2 or some other d league player(s) a shot.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I say yes. He had a sneaky good season last year.

15. bongman

bongman Member

You talk like somebody who looks at real basketball as though it is a fantasy league . It takes time to learn offensive and defensive sets on any new team not to mention developing chemistry. Then add the additional real game shape, Casspi will not be ready. I would take my chances on a Euroleague MVP any day.

You missed the point about Beverely. Everybody was down on him because he was not shooter . Nobody can be sure of anything but one thing is for sure..an injured player won't be able to contribute.

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I really don't like Casspi after his first run with us, but I would honestly consider picking him up for the vet min.

18. 713KLP

713KLP Member

I guess, if that's how you interpret my post. I realize that chemistry is important and takes time to develop. Casspi will be out 4-6 weeks with a fractured thumb, not a sprained ankle or knee. A fractured thumb should not hamper his ability to practice with the team and learn the sets much at all. Sure, he'll need time to get back into game shape (which would be ~12 minutes per game or less for him when we're fully healthy, in theory), but he should be back before the regular season ends. Casspi fits a need and is proven. Gentile is not.

I did not miss your point about Beverley. The likelihood of Gentile replicating that kind of turnaround is very unlikely. I doubt MDA would play him, honestly. He would be a rookie that in all likelihood can't shoot. We have put a premium on shooting above all. Is Gentile even on our radar for this season? Because I have not seen anything. I have seen people like Jonathan Feigen and BimaThug tweeting about the possibility of bringing in Casspi.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Explore other options first and bring him in as a last resort before playoffs, he was waived before March 1 so no need to rush.

20. bongman

bongman Member

I don't get why you are so sure that a HEALTHY Gentile WHO was an MVP playing big time when all the chips are on the line but so sure and high about an INJURED player who averaged 6pts and 4 rbs on a lousy Kings team.