1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lou Williams traded to Rockets for Corey Brewer, first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raz, Feb 21, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gordon is getting nearly the same number of calls per game and per 36 minutes as he got in New Orleans.

It is true that he gets passed over for a lot of calls, but that was true in New Orleans too. He has a reputation as a major complainer about non-calls.

D-rock, hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This must be the WAS offer that cyberx and others mentioned.

I project the pick to be 1-8 spots better than ours (currently 3 spots better), with Nicholson having 2 more years of salary than Brewer.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i hate giving up draft picks. but the rockets have proven that they are a lot closer to contending this year than i could have imagined before the season started. Lou Williams is a straight up scorer. When Les hired D'Antoni, signed Gordon and Anderson, and kept vets like Brew, Bev and Ariza, it was obvious that we were in win now mode. I thought we needed to rebuild, but I may have been wrong. This season is worth gambling on. Lou is a value at $7 mil in this market, and we have him next year too. This was a good trade.

4. valorita

valorita Member

Yea, Wiz' is better value.
    Thats where Harden's influence carries intangible worth.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

‪The reason Lou Williams mostly likely will not play is because Morey is working on a bigger 2-4 team trade so nothing is official yet. ‬

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lou is taking his physical right now so I think that means we've already done a trade call with the league.

ISOBall likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Maybe he can play tomorrow after all

ISOBall and DonKnock like this.
  9. dragician

dragician Member

I like it.

hakeem94 and ISOBall like this.
  10. valorita

valorita Member

Pls tweet dmo for his Blank chat.
    Showing up for work. What a novel idea.
    Take nothing for granted.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lou Williams has to find another jersey #.

23 and 3 are taken. The only numbers he's ever worn.

RedNation97 likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo has rights! What he doesn't have is a $7M salary this year.

hakeem94 and Rocket River like this.
  13. touring_low

touring_low Member

Guess I missed the part where Zeeshan posted the Calvin tweet.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I still don't see how this will all work. I'm happy with the trade but we have 4 combo guards going after 96 minutes. That's 24 minutes a piece.
    It would only have to work with Gordon & Harden each playing a little small ball SF. And that only works when you match up against someone you can do that with.

Beard 33 total min (bring his minute burden down a bit)
    Bev 28 total min
    Gordon 28 total min (bring his minute burden down a bit)
    Lou 7 min @ SG/PG no small ball, then 14 minutes of small ball split between a little Beard @ SF & a little of Gordon @SF (21 min total for Lou)

SF
    Ariza 34 minutes
    14 minutes of small ball SF with Beard/Gordon

PF
    30 min Ryan
    18 min Sam

C - who knows, are we done yet? For now Capela/Nene/Harrel

So 2 biggest things we needed - 3&D wingman perimeter defender & a big that improves rebounding and rim protection.

With Corey we had D but no 3. With Lou we greatly improve 3, but take a step back on D...particularly Brew's ability to play the 3 spot, his length, his on ball defense and hustle.

Now we have a bit of a log jam in the 1 & 2 spot, forcing EGo and Beard to play some small ball 3 on the defense side. I'm a little concerned about us taking a step back on chemistry. This might change a lot of the rotations, and possibly the starting line up? Also Corey was a great locker room / chemistry guy. I grade this trade a B+. I still think it's positive. And it helps with how Bev and Gordon are lately swapping turns on the injured list. I applaud Morey for making moves and "heeding the call", acknowledging the mandate that happens when you're 1 or 2 tweaks away from being close to contending to being really close. Anything can happen. You have to go for a "all in", "win now" move when your team is this damn good.

RedNation97 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

heypartner likes this.
  17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

We knew the risks in signing him, with that said 60 or 65 games + is a coup. Let's plan for that. If he was a 70gm + player, he's not 13mil/yr, he's 20mil at least.

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

This is where you are wrong.

I do not think people realize the overall benefit of no Brewer. That alone is a HUGE benefit. It's not a bonus; it in it's own right is a benefit. He took valuable minutes away from Dekker(or even KJ) and literally sucked.

dcfma likes this.
  19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You're missing everything. It's not about how we matchup with them, it's how they matchup with us.

Who are you putting your best defender on? James...I assume that. 2nd best perimeter defender(if you have one capable)-- EG or Lou. 3rd? EG or Lou.

3 players that can create off pick & roll AND shoot in the catch-and-shoot situations.When Bev's in, this is likely against 2nd units, rarely does a 2nd unit have a great back to the basket wing so size is irrelevant when there are 3 guards out there. It also lets us switch everything even better.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

And he lost the ability to audition for a big time role, barring any injury on the Pelicans up front.