1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Yeah, I got the update as well. The VR headset is on sale so I figured why not.

2. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Is the 2015 Nexus 6P worth a buy at about 330usd? Hate that I'm caught needing a phone at this time of the year.
    Was using the Nexus 5 as my primary phone and the 4 secondary. The Nexus 4 can't handle all the apps I need to have on without lagging down.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Get a prepaid phone until the S8/S8+ comes out or get a Pixel.

#43 ubigred, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    ramotadab likes this.
  4. Victorious

Victorious Member

heads up, if you have oculus or daydream compatible phone, NextVR is showing the NBA all-star weekend live in VR for FREE!

http://www.nextvr.com/nbaallstar

fba34 likes this.
  5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

KingCheetah and ramotadab like this.
  6. fba34

Bought a brand new Nexus 6P. Seller was trying to clear them out. Couldn't justify buying a Pixel, and what I really wanted, the 5X was just a bit less than the price of the 6P.
    Damn thing is huge. Didn't realize its about the size of the Pixel XL. All I remembered from the reviews in 2015 was that its smaller than the Nexus 6.

After the Nexus 4 and 5, it kind of bugs me that the top bezel is not proportional to the bottom bezel. Love the front speakers and the fingerprint reader is a changer. Thought I'd try the Google Launcher for a week or so but after a few hours I slapped Nova on it.

7. Nas

Nas Member

In the same boat, want to get the pixel but can't justify the cost. Miss my nexus 5. Can I ask where you got the 6p from?

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

ramotadab and ubigred like this.
  9. Dave2000

went against it, figured I'd wait for the S8, if I'm not satisfied or if the price out of this world, I'll go with the OnePlus 3T

I only tried the LeEco phone, returned the ZTE without even opening it, I've been Team Nexus since other than Nexus 6, check yo sources :)

ramotadab likes this.
  10. fba34

Got it from an online shop from a seller who imported from the states. Nexus 5x sold out everywhere months ago, but the 6P is still around. He had 4 left last week when I ordered but all sold out when I check just before this post. I have a bad habit of checking the prices even after already buying stuff. But this time I lucked out :)

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm on Team Cheap Chinese Phone Loaded with Spyware

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

haha s8 is even better

13. fba34

I saw somewhere the S8 will be the most expensive phone to date. $800 if not mistaken.
    I could be wrong and it could still be unsubstantiated rumor.

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Dave2000

With all the unlimited plans out there with the big 4, anybody jumped on them?

I have no reason to jump ship since I have a 3 line/$90 6GB/line with MetroPCS. It includes the free music streaming, and I only got to close to 5GB when I used my DirectTV Now more than usual.

MetroPCS jumped on the Unlimited option at $50/month but 480 video streaming and no teathering. They have a family plan offer for same unlimited plan at $40/line.

I've been happy with the service, and got better where apparently they turned on or added booster near Toyota Center since the Super Bowl was in town. Have great signal during games now regardless of attendance.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I have T-Mobile and have had their unlimited plan since 2012. Currently pay $105 a month for 4 lines. I have no problems with my service other than bad reception in some spots, but it hasn't been bad enough for me to jump ship. Pretty satisfied

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Report: iPhone model will have curved screen, cost $1,000

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...iphone-have-curved-screen-cost-1000/98516188/

I know this is probably for the Plus model, but come on. There has to be something else rather than a curved screen and/or 256 GB of built in space to pay this for a freaking phone that'll last approx 2 yrs.

Unless it has some outlandish new technology, should phones really be going up in price just for a curved screen? Have people who've owned a Samsung Galaxy Edge really gotten some extraordinary life benefit from the curved screen to be willing to pay the premium?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The new LG G6 will have virtually the same specs but will not have a replaceable battery -- it will be waterproof though. Looks like April or later for the launch so i'd expect big discounts on the V20 soon.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g6-release-date-price-specs-features-738704/

LG G6 details.

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

RCS is coming soon!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

and usb type c and oled. those are bigger than the curved screen imo. they'll finally get the true blacks (that's racist) that android users have had for the past few years. usb c rumor world be a win for all.

curved edges mimicking samsung for a 10th anniversary device is a slap in their own faces.