1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I think is that no matter what Osweiler is going to be on the team and I think it's possible that his performance could improve closer to or better than it was in Denver which would be absolutely good enough and better than a lot of other options. We'll see how it plays out but talk about Cutler, Romo, or Jimmy G is pointless given that none of them will be on the Texans next season.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have a hard time taking anybody seriously who actively watched Brock last year get worse and worse with almost each passing game... and still thinks he's going to get better like he was in Denver

(which still wasn't all that great.... so at this point, we're expecting him to become the 'best' he's ever been?)

3. raining threes

You're right it's pointless, because the McNair's are who they are. You're right none of Romo/Cutler/Jimmy G are going to be playing QB for the Texans next year. But don't act like they wouldn't be an upgrade over the abomination that is Os.

Brock at Denver was good enough to get benched. I know that doesn't fit into your narrative though. Tell me who are the QB's you think Brock's better than right now?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, so in your mind, a realistic viewpoint of where the team is at is "desperation" and not "GET ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!SPEND ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY, GIVE UP ALL OF OUR PICKS, JUST GET SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Fair enough.

Also, Osweiler wasn't statistically the worst QB this year....and not considerably worse than Cam Newton was statistically who was the MVP just a year ago.

Will Osweiler turn things around? Who knows, but it's certainly possible.....despite what you think due to QB desperation clouding your mind.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you ever even answer the question?

You said we've seen it before.... who has looked as bad as Osweiler has, and then magically turned it all around?

Thinking that Brock is going to get better is truly desperation...wanting an upgrade from that is not.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lot's of QB's have struggled in early seasons and turned it around Ben Roethlisberger's 3rd season was a total disaster but he's turned out okay.

People were ready to run Alex Smith out of the league after his first 3 seasons but he's rebounded nicely.

I mean, that's just 2 off the top of my head. Hopefully you'll calm down and come back to earth because if you keep this up all off-season, it's going to be a REALLY long one. I mean, we don't even know that Osweiler is going to be the QB, for all we know it could be Savage or a rookie....but by all means, panic.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LOL... neither of them had anywhere close to the season or regression that Brock just had.

Also, just so happens that one had already won a SB, and the other was approaching the playoffs.

Lastly... Brock is in year 5 of being a professional QB. By year 5, Alex Smith was a game away from the SB.

Also, its comical that Alex Smith is some sort of benchmark... as rumors are that KC would upgrade from him while they're firmly within a SB window. Meanwhile, Texans fans are being told to stay the course because Brock freakin Oswelier may improve.

Sure, I'll take Tom Savage over him... but then you're back arguing against Tom Savage in favor of Brock.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All I can say is either make peace with the fact that either Osweiler, Savage, or an unknown rookie is going to be the Texans starting QB next season or hop on a different bandwagon so you can get your front running fix.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't have any delusion about the expectation (it takes two to tango, and all) - but if the Texans don't kick the tires on Tony Romo, they're absolute fools.

Yaosthirdleg and Tha_Dude like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Make peace?

You act like complaining about a certain direction of the team implies that fans are not loyal or possibly desperate.

I can honestly say that if the Texans go in to the season with that triumverant.... it will be a disappointment, and they will likely end up wasting another stellar season from the defense.

11. raining threes

So adding a vet QB is a sign of desperation?

Not adding a vet QB to this team is a sign of hardheadedness. IMHO

Or a case of being once bitten twice shy. Comparing Cam to Brock = Delusional

#411 raining threes, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I act like making unreasonable demands are unreasonable and I act like setting yourself up for failure by expecting things that have no chance of happening is a bad idea....not different than all of those Texans fans derping up these boards demanding the Texans draft Johnny Manziel a few years back. You can either accept what is likely or you can complain about what has almost no chance of happening.

Also, I think it's unreasonable for Texans fans to take a "Super Bowl or the season is a total waste" stance.

Depends on the vet, throwing 14+ million dollars at Tony Romo is absolutely a sign of desperation. A sign of foolish panic.

As to "comparing" the two, look at the numbers. Look where Cam Newton ranked in the league when it comes to QB rating this year and look at where Osweiler ranked. Look at Newton's completion percentage....

13. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think Romo gives the Texans the best chance to compete for a SB ring next year. I agree with you 100% on Cutler, though. He wouldn't be very high on my list and personally would rather just stick with Brock/Savage over Cutler.

I get that you like to be realistic about things and all, man. But realistically you just don't win SB's without a decent QB and the even our division is getting more competitive now. The Titans are starting to get better with Mariota, the Colts still have Luck who is capable, and we're still stuck with a question mark as to who our starting QB will be.

Romo is injury prone, sure. But he's also a guy who moves the needle and if he stays healthy could potentially lead this team to a SB. He's also had a full year of rest so you would think his health is probably as good as it will ever get.

#413 Tha_Dude, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with Romo is that there is a hard cap so you have to choose between bringing back FA's and giving Nuk a new contract or throwing 15-20 mil at a guy who might not make it past the first game healthy given that he struggled to stay healthy behind the best O line in the game. Is that really what we need to be doing? I would argue that would be panicking due to QB desperation. Do the Texans need better QB play? Sure, but that doesn't mean they need to do anything foolish.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they do need to do something to improve the position within this window of superior defense.

Expecting Brock to get significantly better at this point is most definitely foolish.

But sure... you can "hope" he will...

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, I'm telling you what is going to happen, you can keep dreaming of Tony Romo or whatever backup QB the Patriots are trying to pawn off on a sucker but it won't matter. Anyway I guess if you want to whine and cry about it, then at least get it out of your system now so we don't have to hear about it for the next 6 months.

17. raining threes

You know you could restructure Romo. Trade for Jimmy G, and Cutler should come cheap enough that cutting Cush should make all of the guys available and not blow up your cap.

This reminds me of the we don't need Manning we've got a broke foot Schaub crowd.

The McNair's agree with you and are glad fans like you exist.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Peyton Manning was the 2nd best QB on the Broncos the season they finally won something, check the numbers. Anyway, like I've said, we can talk about this forever but given that there's no chance of any of that actually happening it's completely pointless.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right. If the Texans want to fit Tony Romo under their 2017 cap, they'll be able to do it. It is not a deterrent. Any talk of it costing them FAs or Hopkins is bullshit.

20. raining threes

Who started in the SB tells me Kubes disagrees with you. I believe Peton also set NFL records with the Broncos before Kubes offense came into play. Your somekind of Brock fan though, I will give you that.

Go Weeden, LOL