1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets need improvement via trade and if so ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMO (DJ remix), Jan 26, 2017.

?

Should Rockets make a trade that will help short term, but might impact our future

Poll closed Feb 10, 2017.
  1. Yes, let's do this, we can't waste prime years of Harden

78.3%
  2. Na bruh, let's try to get PG or some other star in offseason

8.7%
  3. Bruh, how many same topics about same thing we can discuss?

4.3%
  4. A clearly in disguise DMO topic

8.7%
  1. DMO (DJ remix)

A lot of us can see that we need front court help, should be trade for Chandler? Should we trade our future 1st? Obviously trading Brewer and our other trash won't net us a great rotation player. Should we take on more years and more salary and go all in this year?

2. Rockets4Life13

I hate to say but no team has a real shot at a ring outside of GSW and Cavs. If they dont get injured they are just miles ahead in terms of talent. unfortunately no great player of this era that doesnt play for those teams will get a ring in the next few years - thats why im so disgusted by the durant move.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have to be extreme. As long as Brewer goes out in a package to get Chandler (and obviously, we don't throw in Capela/Dekker/Harrell), then the only significant thing we're losing is exactly the difference between Chandler and Brewer's guaranteed money this summer, which is roughly $5m in cap space.

The other part of it is risk. There are plenty of people we can theoretically acquire that would fill a need, but they will not be on an unfavorable contract (hence will cost us more valubale assets), and what they can give to this team would not be as guaranteed as what Chandler brings.

Chandler:
    - At his age, we understand his physical limitations. If he can give is 20-25 minutes, Capela can give us 20-25 minutes.
    - Offensively, he has already proven that he functions very well in an MDA system. HUGE plus here.
    - He is an established player. There is no chance he joins and he's not what we thought. We know what he will bring, and it is a big positive.
    - Defense defense defense. Not just shotblocking. This guy is a committed, talented, excellent defender as well as rebounder.
    - Speaking of rebounding, 12.3 reb in 28 minutes. That's insanity, and our bench desperately needs a great rebounder.
    - NBA champion, has been to war.
    - His game is an excellent model for Capela and Harrell to learn. Excellent PnR, defense, rebounding.
    - In great shape right now, seems to be more fit than he's been in recent years.
    - Trading for him will open up a roster spot, and we can then sign a big guard which we desperately need.

We need someone like this. He will make this team better, he will not cause a ripple in what we're already doing.

There are not many people we CAN acquire WITHOUT giving up major pieces who you can say WILL predictably contribute to exactly what we want. Our offense is one of the best in the league, our defense has been between 10th and 20th up and down throughout the season. We have 4 of the top 10 3pt shooters in the NBA.

Two things to consider:

- Contract. Like I said in terms of cap space, it's going to cost $5m this summer. In terms of the length of his contract, he has 2 more after this one. What I would hope we could do is make his final season partially guaranteed. Realistically no one is going to waive $12m. If we can make it a $5m buyout that would be awesome, because it would coincide with the need to extend Capela who, at that point, is probably going to end up a beast of a player at the rate he's developing.

- Advanced stats show Chandler is not the defender he used to be. I find the stats to be misleading. Bill Russell's advanced stats would take a nose dive if he were protecting the paint for Chris, Warren and Booker. He is certainly not the defender he was when he was 28, but at the same time I think he would at minimum compete with Ariza and Beverley to be best defender on our team.

- Alternatives. There are plenty out there and one that gets thrown around is Noel. Noel is at this point in his career an unproven commodity, though one that has shown more than just flashes of defensive brilliance. He can be great. But in a trade, he will cost us at least one of Harrell/Dekker/Capela/Ariza/Beverley. Not to mention, we don't know if he will be one of those bigs who can feast off MDA's system - you would only think this if you hadn't seen the athletic bigs who have failed in MDA's system. Finally money. To me, if you acquire Noel, you have to keep him. To keep him, you're going to pay superstar money. I don't know if we should pay Noel superstar money until we get another actual established superstar for the team. I don't want to be paying Anderson and Noel a combined $40m and Harden soon getting $30m+. That's not good asset management imo. Noel is the kind of player I was really really eager to take a chance on last season, but things have changed. Our risk profile has changed. We can't give up established assets for potential assets so callously anymore. There is something worth protecting with this team. Bogut can go F himself, and so can Cuban.

I think we can beat the Warriors with Chandler and signing a good 4th guard who can hit 3's, defend, and efficient with keeping/dishing the ball. I really believe that.

#3 Mathloom, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Didn't know Durant had an account on here! Well played bro, hope you're enjoying chapter 2.

:D

5. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

It's gonna be pretty hard to get Chandler considering that the Suns organization has openly said that they do not want to move him and if they did it would take a lot to get him. Would love him on this team but, the price may be too high.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nah, that's just PR, of course they would say that just like Hawks claim they don't want to move Millsap. They're just not happy with what they were being offered, but the deadline is looming.

I've heard Chandler doesn't want to move and that could be an obstacle. But the Suns want to move him, there's no reason to have a player who has 2-3 years in him on that contract at a time when they're nowhere near competing. These guys are starting Chriss and Warren, it's clear they are going for youth movement, and if they want a vet around they can get one on a minimum signing.

The only reason I want him is because he'd be cheap in trade. In the same way that we will have to pay someone to take Brewer, but to a lesser extent, Suns will have to pay someone or accept 0 return to trade Chandler.

7. threepointshot3

Look I like Clint, but he just cant rebound the ball especially on the defensive glass. Right now the kid is still learning the ropes on how to gain advantage by using his body on boxing out and learning how to position himself.He is still a few years away. Nene is way to old and Trez is a power forward playing out of position.

Morey needs to get a legit rim protector who can defend against the rim runs plus own the defensive glass. Last night it was really evident how inept our bigs are at cleaning the defensive glass. Lost count how many extra possessions and second chance points the Celtics had because of their offensive rebounding..

#7 threepointshot3, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love the DMo option. deserves its own thread. :cool:

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yes.

Trade Brewer, Hash Brown, Tyler Anus and KJ MCDonald for Anthony Davis. Pelicans can have their Rockets scrubs + role players reunion.
    Trade Capela for Thong Maker
    Trade Dekker and Chow Key for Rubio to move Harden off the ball
    Cut Greasy Keith Jones

10. SamThaGreat

SamThaGreat Member

Where is cybrex??

OldYelllowDog likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the real question is . . . where have YOU been? two posts in 4+ years has to be some kind of record ;)

houstonstime, Remlap, malakas and 2 others like this.
  12. SamThaGreat

SamThaGreat Member

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is probably true but that doesn't mean you don't take your best shot.

Mathloom and J Sizzle like this.
  14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We need to trade kj mcdaniels, bobby brown, a protected 1st, an expiring contract and cash considerations for steph curry.

We need more firepower from 3 and he would be a perfect fit

houstonstime and J.R. like this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Right?!?!

The other end of the spectrum from DD and BobbytheHolic.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I will die on the "KJ should at least get a chance" hill. That's a trade I would make. Let KJ play over Brewer and see what happens. Worst case scenario is the team remains exactly the same because he's not going to be worse.

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Don't we have enough of these threads?

18. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Not sure if serious....

D-rock likes this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Thats a lot of assets for the warriors to turn down.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

We need 2 defensive minded players who can box out, get defensive rebound and are physical. We need that because Harden, Ryno & Capela along with an aging Ariza and inconsistent Beverley provide very little defense, muscle, hustle and rebounding. Bev, Ariza, Ryno, Harden, Nene & Gordon are untouchable I reckon, so if we can get preferably a SF and a PF/C, I'd be very happy.

A decent veteran PG and SG who can shoot the 3 - probably FA - would also be necessary since this short rotation does not cut it, Gordon and Beverley both injury prone as well. I'd actually be willing to give up on Ariza / Bev for a guy like Millsap, but I know many including Morey will never agree to it. I do think Morey would be willing to part with Capela and Dekker for the right player. I hope after the deadline our roster looks something like this:

Beverley - veteran PG
    Harden - Gordon - veteran 3pt SG
    Ariza - defensive minded SF
    Ryno - Harrell
    Veteran PF/C - Nene