1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VICE SPORTS] Royce White has Revived His Career

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kruze10, Jan 23, 2017.

1. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Another gem:

"Just because the NBA hasn't allowed me to this point to prove that I can play on the same court as LeBron and be productive, or Draymond Green or Kevin Durant or whoever, has no bearing on whether or not it's true or I can."

malakas likes this.
  2. hvic

hvic Member

Delusional

3. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Wait, he's playing in Canada? That's the most interesting part of the whole story... it means he drove all the way to Canada. Hell of a road trip.

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The only truth to his statement is that Draymond Green actually tried playing

I say the same thing to myself all the time!!! The difference is I can actually be with the fact that i haven't tried to be an NBA player.

roslolian and malakas like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He looked too slow and unathletic four years ago in the D League. He was going to be a bust just based on basketball, much less everything else.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

He was honest and open about his anxiety disorder and mental health, it was a risk DM was willing to take for different reasons . The only available treatment he could possibly have is a combination of antihistamine and xanax which would have impaired him physically and mentally,even his uncanny tweets can be contributed to his foggy thoughts ,lack of concentration and severe depression caused by his medication

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

"Everything needs a narrative arc. So the narrative on me is that I must be rusty," White says. "But you look at 14 (points), nine (rebounds), and six (assists), is that rust? And if that's rust, then what am I like without it? Am I bronze with rust, or am I a diamond with scuffs? We should discuss that."

"There will be all kinds of talk about, 'Oh well if he plays well in Canada, it's the NBL in Canada, so what does that really mean?'" White predicts. "Just like when I was playing well in the D-League, 'Well you're supposed to do that in the D-League.'

"The truth is that talent exists independently of words, and I'm one of the best basketball players on the planet. No amount of words can change that, no opinions can change that, no circumstance can change that."

Wtf bruh, this is as if one of the ex-NBA guys that are lighting in up in China would say "look, I scored 40+ pts, I'm as good as Durant and Curry".
    This guys has to be the most delusional athlete I've ever seen, incredible.

roslolian and malakas like this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

Actually, I disagree. He had quite enough talent to become at the very least a solid role player in the NBA. He just lacked the mental qualities of becoming a (basketball) professional.

Man, what a waste of talent.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

How was he honest? Check out his predrsft vids he said flying wouold not be a problem because he takes treatment, has medication and has been flying everywhere in college. Then when he got drafted he wanted a tour bus, and even with that he wouldnt come to practices because the NBA doesnt have special treatment for his condition. Wtf this guy is a sleazeball if I were the Rox I would have sued the pants off jim to warn future scammers away

JeffB and Yung-T like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i miss his drive right then no-look pass left move that he does ever so perfectly

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Doesn't even deserve a thread. Waste of bandwith

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wish him luck as well, but he doesn't really get paid. See this random article about pay in the NBL -- their salary cap is $150,000 for an entire roster. In fact, players are paid a stipend and not a salary. So, it's even debatable that he's playing professional basketball. Not knocking the NBL. I see some other former NBA players play there. The level of competition is probably pretty good. But if you're delivering pizza on nights off to pay the bills, it's hard to say you play professionally and you have a basketball career. That's like saying you're a professional actor because you do community theatre or you're a professional politician because you joined a political action group.

Anyway, he's a huge blowhard, but I don't wish him ill. I hope he does well and earns his way back into a professional league and hopefully learns a little humility along the way.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wasn't he in London the last time we saw him in Clutchfans?

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I guess talent exists independent of empiricism too. That's convenient.

krmclaughlin likes this.
  15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Royce may have had a comparable offensive game to that of Draymond just in how versatile he was -- he had a fantastic passing ability -- but that's about the end of the comparisons for me.

Royce was never willing to put the work in -- never. He was always a problem. McHale couldn't wait to dump him off to the D-League. He would run a drill and a sprint and b**** about doing it, saying 'I don't know why I'm doing this since they don't play me anyway'. And that's not even including the major problem of just abandoning the team or needing to be bussed from location to location.

His quotes here confirm it even more to me -- he just isn't willing to do the work. He believes he's an NBA superstar player NOW and isn't willing to humble himself and better himself to earn time. He's there for the paychecks.

Shroopy2, MrButtocks, Yung-T and 7 others like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Clutch I think there are a lot of wasted talents that just don't want to do the work and are willing to be humbled. It is a shame. That's why I always love those players that "embrace" going down to the Vipers to work hard and improve their game. They look at it as an opportunity instead of some demotion.

Give me a bunch of high motor guys any day!

Yung-T, Easy, JeffB and 1 other person like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Be alarm or #BeWell
    good riddance, imposter

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Legally ,he can gets more from welfare or with a hand size larger than Kawhi ,he can pursue a career in p*rn industry which pays more than pizza delivery. Let's hope he invested some of his money and stay out of trouble (it woud be an over achievement already)
    He didn't need to disclose his status. Mental Health is not a part of physical exams. DM might thoughts Royce would change his mind when he see the team's private jet. When you hear someone saying : I've obsessive compulsive disorder,GAD and history of trouble with the law ,make sure you're prepared for epic episodes if that person is not in a sedative condition

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't we use to have a guy like that? ;)