1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I got my first gaming PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Jan 22, 2017.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Most games are optimized for PCs, not Macs, so they will run better and you will have more library options. Plus unless cross platform is supported, the user base or community of a game will be much larger.

Macs are more sort of life management focused, music, video, etc.

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Great computer, OP. A lot of the Microcenter prebuilts can be tough to beat price wise, even when building your own. I personally enjoy the work and sense of accomplishment that comes from building one but getting a well-priced prebuilt is definitely understandable as building a PC is not for everyone. Enjoy!

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thanks. I just can not decide what to get.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Adding to what lars said, you'll get a much better bang for your buck when buying a Windows PC (hardware-wise).
    You'll never want to buy a Mac for Gaming, it doesn't make any sense when looking at the price/performance ratio and optimization for games.

5. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

21" iMac doesn't even come with a graphics card, so you're not going to be able to play any of the latest games.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

A couple of questions for you nerds.

#1. If i use my PC with an AVR and 4k tv, do i keep the tv input set as "PC" or do i keep it as PC only when browsing, and switch to GAME input when i play a game and "Blu Ray" input when i watch a movie all via my PC? Will i be missing anything for gaming and movies if i keep the input set as ''PC?"

#2. If i purchase a mini displayport to hdmi 4k @60hz adapter, can i use it connected directly to the tv for video and use an HDMI plugged into my Marantz AVR for audio(i want to use the marantz built in DAC for my lossless music). So i guess im asking if i can switch between video sources and audio sources when using multiple HDMI cables?

7. Nigel Thornberry

[​IMG]

RedRedemption and Uprising like this.
  8. cebu

cebu Member

No one can beat my keyboard:
    [​IMG]

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Bump since it kind of relates.

Currently I have a desktop that is setup for moderate gaming on one desk and on another desk I have my work laptop on a stand with wireless keyboard/mouse.

Trying to see how I can set it up so that I can use one monitor for both my laptop and my gaming pc on one desk. I'm thinking a monitor with a USB-C port will do what I need. And I can keep both plugged in and just switch between sources for the one monitor. Anyone try this or any other suggestions? And I've been looking at Dell monitors with USB-C ports especially the Dell P2719HC

Work Laptop -> usb c -> MONITOR <- hdmi <- pc.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Even without a USB C port you can probably do it with a switch (I'm sure its compatible with any input type, its a switch and will only allow one passthrough at a time). When I went to UT all the computers in the labs used an input switch since every computer had a Windows and Linux box attached to them.

marky :) likes this.
  11. marky :)

I was going to go that route but the desk I'm going to use is not that big. I'm trying to limit the amount of clutter with wires as much as a I can.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Would be about the same wouldn't it? You'd need two cables feeding the laptop and the PC, the only addition would be the switch.

marky :) likes this.
  13. marky :)

True. Maybe I can find a way to mount the switch under the desk with velcro or something.