1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Probable First Round Opponents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan611, Jan 20, 2017.

?

Which of these 3 opponents would you prefer the Rockets face in the first round?

1. Memphis Grizzlies

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Los Angeles Clippers

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Utah Jazz

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. They're all tough matchups, I can't decide

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Oklahoma City Thunder

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

While nothing is certain, It's looking more and more likely that the Rockets will end up as the 3rd seed in the West. Catching Golden State seems highly unlikely, barring a major injury or two. It wouldn't be a crazy feat if we were to catch San Antonio for 2nd, but to do so we would likely have to finish a full game better than them, given the head to head record. In addition, we all know how the Spurs have shown a consistent ability to really turn up their level of play towards the end of the season. It would likely require the Rockets to play .800 basketball for the remainder of the season just to have a legitimate shot at the 2nd seed. With Chris Paul's injury and the Clippers schedule over the next few weeks, it's very possible that they could slide to as far down as the 6th seed...meaning a potential first round opponent for Houston. There are four teams who are all fighting for the 4-5-6-7 seeds and I don't think any of those three teams are likely to fall outside the top 7. So, of those teams (Grizzlies, Jazz, Clippers, OKC) which one would you want the Rockets to play in the first round and most importantly WHY?

#1 rocketsfan611, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Personally, I see all four as tough. The Clippers and Grizzlies both seem like teams you'd really like to avoid in the first round, if at all possible. Both of those teams could take the Rockets to 7 games, if not win. The Clippers could be at full strength by then and would want revenge in the worst way. The Grizzlies have already proven to be a very challenging opponent and would present some real challenges for the Rockets offensive flow. I think Houston would still be slight favorites in those series, but every game would be very tough. The Thunder would play us fairly close and have legit playoff experience. The Jazz are also a dangerous opponent, but I see them as a slight step below Memphis and LA. Utah's defense, anchored by Rudy Gobert, would really give Harden and the Rockets fits. However, I think in a 7 game series the Rockets would prevail. So my choice, although a tough one, would be Utah.

#2 rocketsfan611, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

My thoughts haven't changed since last time this was polled. I think we can beat anyone except the Spurs and Warriors so I'm not optimizing for ease of matchup. And I think we owe the Jazz a fishing trip after falling to them the last four times we've met.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Where's okc because that's my preference

Hakeemtheking and RedNation like this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

Why aren't the OKC Thunder listed... that's who I prefer..... I think the Jazz and Grizzlies give us major problems with their front court size and the Clippers have a lot of talent if healthy.... OKC has the front court size but other than WB they aren't very talented.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dallas Shitericks

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I added them.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Thunder. Jazz could handle us easily as we are currently constructed. Clippers and Grizzlies would be tossups.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I can't support this thread.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

this thread is about 20 games too early :)

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is what I am hoping for:

GSW
    SAS
    HOU
    UTA
    MEM
    OKC
    LAC
    Who cares?

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Switch SAS and HOU as well as OKC and LAC for home court advantage entering the second round.

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Definitely OKC since they have a guy who constantly makes mistakes in critical situations. Plus, it'll be fun to see how NBA blows it up. MVP vs Runner Up.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. photojoe

photojoe Member

The Western Conference is still pretty insane. Utah, Memphis and LAC (at full strength) would all be a pretty brutal series. And, assuming we won, we would be rewarded with a most likely matchup against SA.

I'm a biased Rockets homer, but I think the Rockets would have a good chance in a series against any of those teams. But if forced to choose, I would choose OKC... And then maybe hope that Westbrook feels sick. Nothing serious. Just enough to keep him from playing for about 4 games.

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

A lot depends on health too.... odds are at least one of the teams 4 - 7 will be dealing with injuries coming into the play-offs...

16. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

My apologies. I just feel like that four team range is nearly set in stone, which hasn't been the case in the past.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Clippers. Only because it would be fun to bounce those guys out in the first round. It just feels good beating the Clippers.

hakeem94, alethios and rocketsfan611 like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think so at all. A ton can happen with 40+ games left. And not to mention being separated by 3-4 games in between those seeds. a multi game losing streak drops a team just as quick

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Memphis would beat us.
    Utah would be a bad matchup and wear us down.
    The Clippers we would beat.
    OKC - we would easily beat.

DD

20. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Three days ago, I would have said that the Clippers were the one team out of those four that had the ability to catch us for the 3rd seed...obviously, I no longer believe that. I also don't see Portland or Sacramento or an outsider like Minnesota moving up past the 8th seed. So my point was that those four teams, while they may move around within seeds 4-7, are near locks to stay in that exact range. The order within that range is debatable.

hakeem94 likes this.