1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas Raiders

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The NFL has enough smaller cities to worry about for future stability.... Oakland, Nashville, Jacksonville, even New Orleans will once again be in jeopardy if the Super Dome renovations don't hold up.

They need more sure things.... and San Antonio is far from it. Vegas will always be able to host a weekly event.... it may not have the same diehard feel, but the stadium will always be full and the value from advertisers, luxury suites, and future Super Bowls will be too much to pass up (if the owners approve it).

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Vegas is a slam dunk for the Raiders and probably the best franchise relocation the NFL will ever make. I hate it for Oakland, but it's a cheap and easy trip for them, and that whole region (LA included) is basically Raider Nation anyway. Vegas and the Raiders were meant for each other!

Bennie Anders and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2 teams LA will give a crap about now

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They need 24 out of 32 owners to approve the deal. I don't think there is a good reason you would have 9 owners vote against it. It looks like the public funding will come from a hotel tax so the people of Las Vegas aren't going to be paying off the bond. Good deal.

You'll definitely see a lot of fans travel to Vegas to see their team. I know I would. You also have a metroplex of 2 million people with no other pro sports team other than a hockey team that'll start play this year. It's possible there could be a NBA team in Vegas by the time the Raiders move in but there is enough people to fill that stadium 10-13 times a year.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Plus the other domino fell, the Chargers left San Diego. Now LA has 2 Teams.

The Raiders will go to Vegas, leaving Oakland with just the As since the Warriors are moving to San Francisco.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I dont have a problem with SD and Oakland moving. They were playing in 50+ year old stadiums with no hope of really getting public money to help build new ones. The fans rejected public financing, so the teams have the right to move.

Also, SD put money toward the Padres and Oakland is has plan for the A's. However, the football teams get nothing?

tinman likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When Vegas hosts the Superbowl it's going to be epic.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . . the fix is in . . . the Raiders win a Superbowl real soon

Rocket River

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The most offensive thing about this move is Mark Davis' shitty hair piece. You'd think with that kind of money, he'd be able to get a better rug for his head.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's just a bowl cut, and that he's going for the common man look purposely. He also has so much money that he could not care about that terrible hair and still pull women.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They could use that hotel tax to pay for something else...

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is strange to me. If the Texans moved to Vegas, they wouldn't be "my" team anymore.

14. Brando2101

Cities don't raise that tax without doing something to increase hotel demand to compensate for the higher rates. I'm sorry but no city is going to raise hotel taxes to pay for schools. In Austin, the debate is whether to use a hotel tax to pay for a convention center expansion or co-financing a new basketball/events arena with UT.

That's not what I meant. Fans of the teams that are playing the Raiders in Las Vegas will travel to Vegas to watch their team play. The regular rotation has the Texans visiting the Raiders in 2022 although it's possible they could get a game there in 2021.

#74 Brando2101, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    ima_drummer2k likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Just because they don't doesn't mean the couldn't...

I was just in Vegas and was surprised how low their hotel tax was. Where I live it is 15% +$5. We don't have a convention center. We don't have a sports team (minor or major).

Reality is hotels don't really need to be compensated unless there is a similar area with much lower taxes.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

they would not called the Texans

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Looks like they won’t be the Oakland Raiders much longer.

Albert Breer of The MMQB has been reporting the story for the past couple days, and he will have significant details in his column Thursday. I asked him to give me the headlines, seeing that it’s likely those will leak out Wednesday. Breer’s report:

The Raiders aren’t packing for Vegas yet, but there may be no stopping them now. The league has made workable one potential road block for owner Mark Davis’ team, setting a range of $325 million to $375 million for the franchise’s relocation fee, sources tell The MMQB. That's relatively affordable compared to the $650 million the Rams and Chargers each paid to relocate to Los Angeles.

The expectation now is that a vote on the move will be taken at next week’s annual meeting—a good indication the league feels it has the requisite three-quarters of the league’s 32 owners to approve the move to Las Vegas. The NFL’s stadium finance committee met last week, and clearly the NFL is bullish on a funding plan that is now being backed by Bank of America, and has its foundation in a record $750 million in public money. As one owner explained about the viability of the project, “I think in 10 to 15 years, you’ll see the Raiders doing better than at least one of the L.A. teams and potentially both L.A. teams.”

There is some concern over the idea of moving from the nation’s sixth-largest market—and a growing, diverse and economically vibrant one—to its 40th-biggest market. And there are lingering questions about the lease in Oakland and whether the Raiders would need to use a potential temporary facility, UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium, before the new stadium would be ready in 2020. But no legitimate, stay-in-Oakland option is on the table. So by this time next week, there’s a very good chance that the NFL’s renegade brand will be on the move again.

tinman likes this.
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$750 million in public money for a stadium in Las Vegas. What a joke.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I could be wrong but think he meant fans will travel to Vegas to see their team take on the Raiders. I know I would.

20. Brando2101

Beat me to it! As I said, there was no way the Raiders would stay in Oakland while a new stadium was being built. I think it's interesting that they are relying so much on a bank. Better hope the economy doesn't crash. It's too bad the Texans aren't guaranteed to play in Vegas until 2022. It is possible they could play there in 2021 and 2022 based on the 2020 season final standings but it's not likely. I would absolutely buy tickets and make a trip out of it as would a ton of NFL fans.

I don't have as much a problem with it since it's for a new team and a facility that they don't have. I think it's different than having to pay for a new stadium in your own city for a team that is already there. Las Vegas would be paying for about %35 of the total cost of the venue and team relocation. It's being financed by hotel taxes which means tourists will pay for practically all of it and they will get a token Super Bowl for building a new stadium and I'm guessing they will go into the Super Bowl rotation. It also gives them more opportunity for college football events as well as high end concerts. The Las Vegas college football bowl would be able to sit 2.5 times the amount of people they can currently hold. That would allow them to increase the payout and maybe move up the tier to get better teams.

This seems like a great public investment that's made better by the fact that no sales or property taxes will go up. It's basicly a tourist financied stadium. I mean, I've seen way worse public investments. The new Rangers stadium comes to mind and the new Atlanta football and baseball stadiums. I think there are exceptions like replacing the astrodome which was very old and didn't have a great fan experience. So few seats were in between the goal lines in football and in baseball it was just dark and no real personality(don't kill me). Minute Maids theming and very detailed and stylaized architecture makes a huge difference as is the way the concourses are designed so you can still see the field. It's also amazing when the roof is opened those 8 games a year.

#80 Brando2101, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017