1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rubio being shopped

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 17, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is theory. There is another theory by NBA scouts being demonstrated with video study that Rubio is hindering the development of Towns due to his lack of shooting and finishing. Towns is being double teamed too much or defenses are otherwise clogging the lane making it hard for Towns to get any room to drive or operate in the low post. Towns has a tremendous face-up game, but no room. Plus, Rubio is one of the worst PnR PGs.

What does he do to help Towns, other than some theory to say other PGs would be worse.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

and yet...

It's unfair to make Rubio the scapegoat when the "scorer" of the team has the same TS% and PER and btw at least Rubio is a 2 way player Wiggins (and Lavine)aren't and contribute hardly anything besides points.

Vivi and basketballholic like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Whether there is a pg who can shoot or not, Towns WILL be the franchise player and star of the team.
    Whether there is a pg who can shoot or not , teams WILL gameplan for Towns. And they will double and triple team him.
    This has nothing to do with Rubio it's just the natural development that happens in the second year of every star to be. The league has begun adjusting. Now it's up to him to adjust back.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

I think Tyus Jones has potential. That's who they need to go after in a Kyle Lowry/Goran Dragic type move.

basketballholic likes this.
  5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

What if you make it where he doesn't have to shoot 3s all the time. Yes we have a 3 pt heavy offense, but does that mean your backup PG has to shoot a lot of them? Or can he be a set up man to get your good shooters open looks with his passing ability? You use him in PnR and let him drive to the paint (shoot layups or get fouled) or make passes once the defense draws in.

Im not saying we get him, but I'm just looking at his skill set and the way we could use him. Having another playmaker never hurts. Minn has bigs in the paint the keep it clogged up. Wiggins and Lavine make their own offense so Rubio is not used how he would be used here is all im saying.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

INB4 someone mentions Jason Kidd

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What you just posted is 100% true but completely avoids his point. Rubio makes it difficult on Towns because opposing defenses can shade toward Towns even more. That is undeniable. Surely you can understand that having a PG who can run a legit PnR with Towns would instantly elevate their offense. The problem is nobody gives a flip about guarding Rubio.

Also, the PnR aspect is just one point.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He's being forced out of the league along with Rondo and every PG who can't shoot

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

the PnR aspect also has A LOT to do with Thibs. Thibs is the one who has chosen to let his team run all the iso offence (for some reason) and he hasn't let until very recently let Rubio run the offence. It was Thibs who by design made Rubio stand in the corner.

I mean...when people think that a pg who can shoot will stop teams from double teaming Towns ...what kind of pg they have in mind? A pg who is automatic from 3? Like Kyrie , Curry , Lillard? Sure if you put them in place of Rubio the team will be much better and teams will think more about double teaming Towns.

But if you want to replace Rubio with a pg of about the same standing in the pg rankings but with different qualities (an average 3pnt shooter), teams again and again will take the chance and go and double team Towns.
    So I dont' see how it hinders at all Towns' development unless we are talking about replacing him with an elite shooter or superstar.

It would also help if Thibs would change his offensive system but that has been his problem for most of his coaching carreer.

If you want to replace Thibs, and also replace Rubio with Curry or Kyrie then sure Towns will have it much easier.

But the vast majority of middle of the pack pointguards? nah..Not only Towns but also Wiggy and LaVine will find it harder in my opinion.

Vivi and basketballholic like this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We can argue all day, but if you don't want to admit Rubio is part of the problem, that is your right. However, he IS part of the problem.

A better offensive coach than Thibs could probably mask Rubio's weakness somewhat.

Rubio needs a team where everyone else is gifted on offense and playing 4 on 5 isn't such a huge disadvantage.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Isnt Dieng, Wiggins, LaVine and Towns all gifted in offence?
    I think they sure are. Wiggins and LaVine are basically scorers only and Dieng is a good offensive big. Towns ofc a monster.

Plus I'm not talking about Rubio for their FAR future. I'm talking about a placeholder to help the development of their 3 young players.
    A scoring guard that is the majority of pgs in the league? I don't see how it will help at all.

But what I know for sure is that whenever a young team has dissapointed compared to the overexaggerated expectations there always is someone . a vet. who is made the scapegoat. Like Rubio is right now.

12. heypartner

True, but coaches should burn the double teams and cheating into the lane. Thibsncant do that because Rubio can't hurt the defenses that are clogging the lane for Towns. The video study of Towns this year shows more than just double teaming,,,teams are cheating off Rubio way more than normal, which they can't do with nearly every other PG in the league.

What you say here is true about Stars being tested in year Two, but it says nothing about why you feel Rubio is the one to help Towns development and burn theses defenses. I mean, it is happening on Rubio's watch. Rubio has never made the playoffs and has never even got Minny to .500, even with Love. He might be a winner in theory, but he hasn't proved it in Wins. At some point the excuses for Rubio losing should end, and fingers should be pointed at his own lack of development.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Regarding Rubio going to the Spurs, rememeber what happened with Rasho and Beno. Pop has mellowed a bit since then but it may not be pretty.

Danny Green and Patty Mills revived their careers in San Antonio but they have the one skill Pops requires from perimeter players: They can shoot the 3-ball.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

15. malakas

malakas Member

I sure don't think that Rubio is perfect and the one who they should include in their future core.
    Why I think that Rubio helps in this particular case?
    He has an extremely low usage first of all. 13.5 this year only. Only twice in his carrer he had more than 20 which is in itself very low for a pg.
    Now why is that importnat? Becuase in the Minny team that is full of players who are only finishers, who can't create for themselves the usage of the pg has to be very low.
    A scoring guard will have a much worse vision and take many more possesions away from their Wings and Towns.

Secondly is the D. When you have too many young players that noone has any clue to play any team defence you absolutely need some vets in there who know what they are doing in D. Rubio is signaling to LaVine and Wiggins where to be.
    Now let's put a pg of his caliber who shoots better than Rubio but has about the same trade value or even a little better.
    Reggie Jackson. He will score and the teams will have to not sag off too much off of him but...D? horrible.and he will take posessions away from the youngs.

If Minny could have George Hill sure they should. But they can't.
    Instead of a better 3pnt shooting, I prefer in development a) low usage and perfect playmaing b) good team defender.

And btw I dont' care at all at this point that Rubio may not make an open shot and they lose a pointless game.
    What I , and they should care more about is development.
    And compared to a scoring guard, I believe that Rubio helps much more in that regard.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In all fairness, this could have happened to anyone but it brings up another point I've made about Rubio:

If he was a ferocious defender like Kawhi, Avery Bradley , (smaller version of) Draymon Green, that you could turn loose on the other teams best perimeter scorer every night, it would make him a lot more useful.

da_juice likes this.
  17. heypartner

You might be the only person who says Towns and Wiggins cannot create their own shots. Did I misunderstand that sentence? If you really believe that, them I'm here to tell you they can, but Rubio clogging the lane is getting in their way, so maybe that's why it appears to you they can't

Watch those defenses when Towns gets the ball in similar ways Anthony Davis does. And look at how much more room Davis has than Towns. This is not always double teams, it is cheating help defense just zoning Towns and Wiggins drives.

And regarding you making Thibs the scapegoat, Thibs is not so surprisingly trying to implement some Horns action, and Fist Up sets, and also utilizing Wiggins/Towns one strong side together,,,or Lavine/Towns. imo, that is very reasonable and probably every coach does the same thing with Towns. In those sets, unless Harden is your PG :cool: your PG goes weak side, if not the corner.

And Thibs doesn't do that all the time. Plenty of sets Rubio is strong side with the ball...plenty.

18. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Don't want. Never have. Don't do it Morey.
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but think I'd rather keep Brewer (vomited a little in my mouth when typing that). :oops:

19. malakas

malakas Member

LOL sigh..that what happens when you post when you should sleep. I meant create for others. Sure they are good at iso. I am waiting to see coz Towns has some nice little passing for a big but the wings cant' create for others.

Ehm sorry are you seriously saying that New Orelans that has some of the worse shooters has better spacing than Minny and it's due to Rubio/??
    How about you have to absolutely respect AD's midrange while Towns 3pnt and outside shot is very bad so far. Or rather..it still doesn't warrant respect.

Idon't make Thibs scapegoat at all. He is a coach that is offensively severely challenged. It iswhat it is with him.

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a friend who is a Wolves fan, loves Rubio. Him and other fans like what they saw from Rubio when Lavine was out of the starting lineup and playing with Rush at the 3. I can't disagree with that from what I saw in the recent Rockets game, Rubio played well with that starting unit.

malakas likes this.