1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need new friends

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

living a solitary life right now. My old friends let me down. If you guys know have any suggestions i could do to be around people (volunteering, home improvement workshops, etc.) let me know. Otherwise, living like this will drive me to madness.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Friends are overrated. Clutchfans and Netflix are far superior.

On a serious note I think it's a challenge finding friends once out of school and in the working world. Volunteering on the weekends is a good start. There are also websites for local meet ups for groups that run, hike, play board games etc.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have a van.

let me know

Nook likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Easiest way would probably be to find a hobby and then join a club. Seeing how you're a Rockets breh, joining a basketball club or occasionally playing in a gym would be a good start.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  5. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I've been in the same boat. Old friends let me down. I've been trying to make new friends through co-workers and mutual friends. What bothers me is how there is no such thing as best friends forever, you will constantly lose old friends and make new ones

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Friends by Whodini

(*Friends
    How many of us have them?
    Friends
    Ones we can depend on
    Friends
    How many of us have them?
    Friends
    Before we go any further, lets be
    Friends*

Is a word we use everyday
    Most the time we use it in the wrong way
    Now you can look the word up, again and again
    But the dictionary doesn't know the meaning of friends

And if you ask me, you know, I couldn't be much help
    Because A friend is somebody you judge for yourself
    Some are ok, and they treat you real cool
    But some mistake kindness for being a fool
    .......)

Hang in there @Outlier, be patient!!

[​IMG]

Hanging out at the "Hall of Justice"....;)

mikol13 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have known my best friend since we were both 8 years old - around 50 years. I have known my second best friend since the 6th grade - 45+ years.

HR Dept likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This. They are rare, but sure exist.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I've know my BFF since we were 10 for over 30 yrs. I married, had a kid and divorced his cousin so we're family now, I'm going up to Spring to watch the game w.him today. I feel lucky just to have 1 real and true friend who's been through it all with me, good and the bad.

BamBam likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Step 1: Change your moniker.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think "Mean" -- the opposite of Outlier -- will work, either. And he probably won't go for "Stereotype" ... as that's probably why he chose Outlier to begin with. Same with "Trendsetter" "The Norm" or "Average Joe"

Too bad something friendly and disarming like "Hey Pardner" wasn't available.

Two Sandwiches and Plowman like this.
  12. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

First, you need to make a positive change internally. Or else your next set of friends will let you down too.

Pretty sure your friends didn't let you down 100% - leaving you 0% of the blame.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what to tell you. That's a rough situation. Like others I've been friends met of my friends since K - 8, a few others in HS, and few others in college. So I'm not the best at making new friends now. I will never have all of that history with any person I meet now.

That being said I think the key is in "making history". Find a hobby where you work with people collaboratively, and hopefully have a challenge. It's a good way to bond. That being said, such a hobby isn't easy to find if you don't have it already. Long-form Improv is one hobby that can require a lot of hard work, and is very social. Don't just go to class, go to improv shows, get to know performers, join practice groups etc. With that, there is a huge time requirement and it may have no interest to you at all.

Improv is not everyone's cup of tea, but try and find some type of hobby that requires a lot of collaboration and is somewhat social and challenging. A parks and rec type of sports team does require collaboration, but often it's just people who meet up once a week for the game and isn't as intensive to build the history.

Either way, it can't be forced. Something where the social part of it comes naturally would help. It's a rough situation with which to deal. Hopefully it will work out for you.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

... Super Hans?

Jugdish likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I use to charge Mclovins to hang out with me. I can teach you how to be alpha for a low low price.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have been told you can meet all sorts of neat and interesting people with unique talents and skills on Adult Friend Finder.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Go to a church, maybe in a nice suburb or college town to hedge against the snake handling or John Birch quotient. I imagine that and a lot of the other things to which message boards attribute genocide and intolerance, like political fundraisers, chambers of commerce and Crossfit, are actually pretty decent venues for socializing at the local level.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

a friend like James Harden would be something nice, ask Bobby Brown.
    Friendship can be a time consuming in this era, focus on "shared interests" instead and within these circles you can meet your social needs

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The old friends must have sucked.

What do you understand by "letting you down". Serious matter?

Try to forgive and find new friends nonetheless.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just display qualities you would want in your new friends. People flock to those like them...simple as it is. Don't be needy