1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Refs. make the games "more interesting"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by varughese.arun, Jan 3, 2017.

1. varughese.arun

I have seen the video myself. He did say that. I tried my best to find the video again but to to avail.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here is the video, all of the statements in the quote are there except for that one.

Had he said it, no amount of covering it up would put a lid on the fact that a dozen or more reporters are sitting in that room, recording it and can recount it.

It doesn't even make sense with the quote. The quote has nothing to do with them losing because of external factors, he is talking about his own team's shortcomings in terms of talent, energy.

3. varughese.arun

@Mathloom thank you for posting this video; however, the interview you posted is after Cavs lost to Warriors in the 14-15 season. IF my memory servers me well, I am referring to the 15-16 game 6 post-game interview.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No worries.

It's definitely the 14-15 season Warriors loss interview. That's when they ran out of gas, that's why he's saying what he's saying in the quote. Doesn't make sense he would say it in Game 6 2016, they won that game.

Unless he repeated 95% of his own exact words a year later, which obviously did not happen.

In case you're curious, here are the Game 6 2016 interviews:

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

If you are going to bring up Green and his ejection and suspension from a game during the finals please don't forget that the ******* was straight kicking people in the nuts. He SHOULD have been suspended in the OKC series but the NBA couldn't have the MVP and the Golden team not make the finals.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just continue winning.

7. varughese.arun

I remember watching an 15-16 finals post game interview after the cavs won. lebron was saying that even though they won the game, they didn't play the game as it should have been played, and was not only infringing that the Cavs got luck and won that game; rather, stated out right that it seems the NBA is rigged.

#27 varughese.arun, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. varughese.arun

I am by no means a Curry/GSW fan. I'm a diehard Rockets fan. but... How can any serious fan think those calls against Curry were the correct call?

9. varughese.arun

Tim Donaghy came out and said publicly that he rigged the LAKERS vs. KINGS finals in 2002 was rigged.

If we take a look at that game it is obvious how the Refs altered that game. The Refs continue to do the SAME THING in games today. However we are supposed to believe that those same terrible calls now are a product of simple chance.

In a 2016 interview Donaghy says that 100% of Refs gamble.

How LeBron won his 1st title:

10. bongman

bongman Member

Point shaving is against most states and federal law. Additionally, that goes against the spirit of fair play which disciplinary action and/or fines can be handed according to NBA rules.

11. varughese.arun

Haa... I knew I should not have used point shaving as an example. I am referring to the fact that outcomes are predetermined by league officials for the most part. there is no rule against that.

It is possible for a team to defy the predetermined outcome, but the NBA STACKS the odds against them so that the original narrative is preserved.

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure the NBA narrative was to have the Spurs win 5 championships over the last decade and a half, while dominating the western conference for a majority of that time. Seems like a big money maker for the league.

You need to upgrade your tinfoil hat game, bro.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't think the problems are that bad. Do mistakes happen? Yes. If there's rampant gambling going on by the refs, ya, fix that. But the only real issue I see is the union protecting their guys... but the union also helps make sure these guys can do their jobs without fear. In other words, it sucks but it could be worse.

And why worry about an issue that hasn't happened yet? I know you're worried about losing a game to the refs during the playoffs, but a smart team can get around bad refereeing. Championships are about overcoming.. just believe and enjoy the ride. Including the referees and any mistakes that complicate the road to victory.

14. varughese.arun

I dont have all the answers. Who knows, you could be correct... it could have just been coincidence that when the league was trying to "Globalize" the sport a team who started 5 international players wins multiple titles.

15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Well, in that case the Rockets should have won multiple titles while Yao was here because he had a bigger global following than all other international players combined.

Sorry, dude, but you're not making much sense right now. This thread has been rather funny and entertaining, though. So I give you kudos for that.

roslolian and varughese.arun like this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Balcoholics insider newsletter told me that there will be a team favoured by the referees in the playoffs, and that there will also be a team thay wins the title this year.

Yule C.

17. bongman

bongman Member

If outcome is predetermined, that falls under the umbrella of point shaving. Tim Donaghy the referee spent 11 months in jail for this. If league executives are proven to have done this, they will also suffer the same fate. It is legal to bet on any NBA game so doing anything to change the outcome or score is not just punishable by the NBA but also the law.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Unless of course Morey trades for Rubio and makes him the primary ball handler.

20. Thefabman

Thefabman Member