1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket playoff failures, McGrady and Scottie Pippen join forces

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 2, 2017.

?

Which one led the Rockets to a playoff series victory?

1. Not McGrady

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Not Quitten

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I blame him because he had plenty of chances and never got passed the second test. Sure, the regular season is tough, but he had lots of great teammates, two hall of famers, but never won a series. He had Sura, he had Barry, Mutumbo, Mike James, Yao.. what else did he need? Kobe? If he was the elite player that you think he was, he would have won with at least ONE team one year. He wasn't. He never made anyone better.

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Kobe never really made anyone better, either. He just got bailed out by Fisher and elite bigs. With Shaq, Kobe wins 3 titles. Without Shaq? He never made it out of the first round until Gasol and Bynum showed up.

I get why its easy to hate on Pippen, but I don't understand all of the Tmac hate here tbh. Just move on and let it go.

tinman likes this.
  3. don grahamleone

RocketWalta, tinman and Tha_Dude like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty happy that we have a superstar that has proven to be a true MVP candidate and more importantly lead the Rockets to playoff success

Happy Happy Joy Joy

But you McGrady fans should be happy too, you get to see him sit down on TV again. It's like he never left the Rockets

5. Tha_Dude

Horry was putting on his best Mad Max impersonation there. Mad Max is a true legend and he made Horry better.

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Such a versatile player and a playoff legend

7. Tha_Dude

Yep, its too bad we traded him for fat ass.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I appreciated what Charles did for the Rockets. I'll savor that victory against the Sonics every day.
    We were 2 games from the Finals. Can't say that all about that Tmac era.

Back on Horry, he's a better analyst than Tmac, BY FAR.

HORRY IS AWESOME

Patience likes this.
  9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Can we ban tinman from making threads?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

You can't stop the truth because the truth is real

based on your username it appears you will enjoy the Pippen and Tmac duo on ESPN.
    you should be happy I brought this news to you.

over joyed

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I don't give a **** about either. I made this username when I was a kid.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Then you won't be watching ESPN. That's not good for their ratings.

13. Tha_Dude

Yeah, I don't question the thought process behind the move but damn, dude. We traded away two great players just to beat the Sonics for one year.

Horry ended up becoming one of the greatest killers and utility guys in the game, Cassell ended up becoming all-star for the T-Pups. I always think of what might have been had we kept those two and tried to retire them as Rockets. But, I smoke too much so its easy to reminisce.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure but how many SFs in history made the whole team around them that much better?

At least to advance a playoff round when some of his teammates were DeClerque, Gooden, Giricek and Armstrong.

If you think back, there were only 2 Rockets seasons when he was deemed 'really halfway healthy'.

And he had scoliosis which made his work out that much harder. His entire career.

Nevertheless he was a disappointment for sure, I would say, only a borderline Top 8 player in Rockets history.

But still you got to admit he had some great moments in the playoffs' first rounds and he only missed one game or one rebound to advance.

#54 daywalker02, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. don grahamleone

Do you want me to **** up their offense? Cool, done already. Make a pass that leads to an easy basket when easy baskets are at a premium? Done. Need me to space the floor with some outside shooting? Cool. I can slash for easy points if you can hit me while I'm slashing. Done. I don't like how their perimeter offense looks all smooth like, imma mess it up. Done. Olajuwon just missed an opportunity to block a shot, cool, i'll swat it.

Has anyone in the history of the league, ever switched from a college center to an NBA small forward? Yup. One guy did it.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

You weren't thinking that when we knocked off Gary Payton and Sean Kemp.
    We get into this what if scenario, which is what the Tracy McGrady fans do like it was crack cocaine.

The weakness was not Barkley. Dream got older, Clyde got older, and the management just wanted to add old superstars and not think about the future.

17. don grahamleone

Are you building yet another river for me to cry on? Tracy did not have a short career as a top level player. Tracy did have a short career as a second round playoff competitor. He had lots of teammates, but it was always the team's fault, right? Truly great players don't talk about that. They win and then question why the other guy couldn't do it.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Let me tell you how this NBA thing works.
    You have a salary cap, and you normally give your best player the max salary because you believe he can help lead the team and bare the responsibility of winning a championship or at the very least be a contender.
    We lost in the first round every time with McGrady and only played in 20 playoff games. That's not a good rate on return if you pay this guy Max Salary.
    On top of that at the end, he sucked and we had to trade him for lower tier players.

You guys like to romanticize that era, but it wasn't that good compared to other eras in Rockets history.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

This is what is going on, James Harden is doing what Tmac was suppose to do as the highest paid player on the Rockets.

McGrady fans hate Harden. It's the truth.

20. Tha_Dude

No, I was quite happy when we finally beat the Sonics. I guess the series against the Jazz just took air out of my sails a bit.

But, I really wanted to face the Bulls in the finals. I thought we could have beaten them and Hakeem may have been older but he would have picked his game in that series because it would have been a career defining moment for him and he was ALWAYS good against the bulls.

I still think we would have beaten the Bulls.