1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please explain how the league got involved and why? There is no other reason that the league would get involved in this matter, unless they stepped in.

The only other possibility would be the Rockets got scared, and wanted to rescind their original matching of the offer so he could go to Brooklyn and the league said no.

Other than that, the league stepped in for what exactly?

I firmly believe that the league stepped in because the Rockets and BJ exploited a loop hole that was not intended and the NBA stepped in - you can chose not to believe that, doesn't bother me one bit.

DD

2. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If the league were punishing the rockets, they would have forced them to make dmo an UFA. By accounts they had the option to keep him an RFA, which would have been at NO cost to them. Just status quo. That's not a real punishment bc no one had made an offer to dmo, and they could wait to see what the next offer was for free. But they decided they didn't even want dmo as an RFA.

Also if nets did nothing wrong and rockets were, then why punish the nets? A punishment would have been -

1. Rockets entering into new contracts invalid and therefore rockets must either accept dmo or have him go to nets

2. Rockets entering into new contract invalid so therefore rockets must make him an UFA and lose rights.

Instead, the rockets kept the option of making him RFA. Basically, the nets and Dmo were the ones truly punished, unless something changes.

Your theory while feasible does not work if the rockets truly could have made dmo a free agent. Because dmo's next contract will be lower and the nets can't even sign him, the two most punished are dmo and the nets. I think the rockets saw something and tried to figure out if they could give him to the nets (with the nets maybe wanting the same results) and the NBA said you can't bc you already matched the offer. Now either accept him, make him an RFA or waive his rights. The rockets probably didn't want to hurt his value any more (so they don't get sued) and rather than run the risk just decided the he'll with it - do whateveryl you want.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Things are getting chippy in this thread.

4. DaDakota

Not really, just a bunch of fun speculation - and people arguing about it, not much to see......really.

I don't believe it was the Rockets choice, nor did they have an option, I believe the league stepped in and dictated what would be happening.

Dmo an UFA, and Brooklyn can't sign him.....basically telling the Rockets and DMo...that their circumvention of the rules and how it was supposed to work would not fly.

That is how it went down, IMO.

DD

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'll be dadgummed if I know WHY the League stepped in; nor, what the League degtermined. However, IF the ROX had broken the CBA LAW there would have been a REJECTION of the contract at the OUTSET of matching. P-E-R-I-O-D! This 'after-the-fact' with NO EXPLANATION takes what has happened out of WHAT YOU or BBH or ME or, apparently, even BIMA, the almost-all-knowing KNOWS. Thus and so, why do 'we' make these didactic statements of fact as if 'we' know of what we speak?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I like this Calvin quote, "Harrell's efforts could make things harder for the front office to add a center. . .Of course this would be a moot point if the Rockets had just signed . . . Donatas Motiejunas. The long contractual issues in the early portions of the season forced the Rockets to renounce his rights. The reasons why are muddled depending on with whom you speak."

7. DaDakota

As a Rockets employee that sounds a bit fishy, no?

The league was signing a new CBA, they wanted that to be the News cycle, not DMo. What is shocking is how little actual journalism has been applied to ferret out the goods.

DD

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am pretty sure Calvin Watkins is an ESPN employee. Not a Rockets employee.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you have a link to this quote? (Not a challenge, just curious)
    It's interesting how Calvin didn't mention the health issue as the cause of the Rockets renouncing DMo. He said it's the long contractual issues.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Easy likes this.
  11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

DD won't take a knee even when he's wrong. I do like his passion for the team but he literally misses on all hispicks

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks to Haymitch for supplying the link (my bad). Agreed that DD's passion is aces, but never, in my recollection at least, has more unsubstantiated words posed as facts been uttered on a single GARM subject as the post-DMo matching. Someone does know the facts, probably a few someones, and perhaps they have been compelled to secrecy by fear of facing the stern wrath of a 'retired' Czar Stern?

13. DaDakota

Ah, I thought you meant Calvin Murphy....so that makes it even more interesting, would like to hear what all sides have said.

Exactly what is going on...which is why our GM, who is a known talker is not saying anything, this is from the league office, and not Stern, but Silver.

DD

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yeppers, and the silence ain't gold; it's turning us into (wait for it) conspiracy theorists. Arrrgggghhhh!

15. valorita

valorita Member

After the Lakers post workout comments and lack of interest around the league overall I can conclude that either of two explanations:

1) DMo really does have some questionable heatlh issues

2) Negotiatong/leveraging the above vs the log term security that DMo's party wants is not worth integrating a new player and getting them into game shape

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

can donatas actually re-sign with us? let's say he passes his physical this time. or is there a rule that once you renounce a player's rights, he can't sign with the team that renounced his rights for a year?

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We cut Bobby Brown then resigned him one week later

The only team that can't sign him is the Nets.

Codman and hakeem94 like this.
  18. DaDakota

As far as we know.

DD

19. elainas

elainas Member

Terence Jones and DMo reunion ?.. Poor TJ if lose his minutes to DMo again

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. elainas

elainas Member

How much does DMo hated DM to get to this level