1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial KJ McDaniels Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Dec 21, 2016.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

It's only a matter of time. This guy is trash. Worse handles and BB IQ on the team. Can't shoot, can't defend on-ball. He's a poor man's Gerald Green. GTFO

#1 RocketsTerps, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    chievous minniefield likes this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Funny that when he's actually gotten regular playing time in the NBA he's shown promise.

But he gets a few garbage minutes here and there and doesn't show well and thats who he is.

#2 xtruroyaltyx, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    malakas, Ramo$e, Fawkward and 3 others like this.
  3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Why did jopat switch to bbhollic someone tell me

arabrocket likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clutchfans loves him so he turns out to be trash.

Easy likes this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

I would take poor man's Gerald Green. The kid is not a finished product.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  6. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

If he could actually defend on-ball and rebound I'm quite sure he'd steal minutes like Dekker did -- a guy who was out all year with a broken back. The only things KJ has shown is he can block from behind and catch Harden lobs / back-cut passes. After 3 years he should be in the rotation. 3 coaches now have concluded KJ doesn't deserve the time.

7. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Can't defend the guy any more than I already have in the past 12 months. Gotta take opportunities when they come up, regardless of how many minutes and he simply hasn't done that over the past month since his minutes were reduced.
    Big contrast to Dekker and Harrell whose minutes have continued to increase as they've both shined.

8. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Exactly. Last years rookies have passed KJ on the depth chart. Ennis arguably is more serviceable. Bobby Brown's best friends are Harden & Ariza. Kyle Wiltjer is the best shooter on the team and Ryan Anderson injury insurance. KJ is officially the 15th man.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There was a time when everybody thought he was better than Brewer.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I never understood why everyone liked him so much to begin with. I've never been very big on him at all. People were(are) enamored with his athleticism, but he has no other tools. I was surprised Morey was so quick to give him a contract.

That Algorithm must be wonky. He didn't account for KJ being in 99th percentile in cornrows..

topfive likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There was time when people thought he was the future of the SF position, essentially saying he was better than Ariza.

#11 DreamShook, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Easy likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dekker is better than kj and harrel is too. No arguing that. But other players being better don't necessarily make you trash. Harden is better than Beverly, but that doesn't make bev trash. So the comparisons don't mean anything because he's not in contention to take minutes from either of those guys.

And btw, Montrez wasn't getting minutes a while ago either. Not until Nene missed some time and he was given a shot. If Dantoni had his way Dmo would probably be the back up 4 and not Dekker.

I believe kj may not show enough in practice because when he's gotten regular minutes he has played well enough to be a spot minute guy.

Kj outplayed Brewer early on. His on court play was better. There's no ifs and or buts about that. He brought more to the table. Brewer still isn't all that but he's not been an abomination like he had been. I'd still like to see kj get those minutes but it's not worth crying over.

Also they could trade kj and I would not care either.

I'm just saying I think it's incorrect to judge a guys perfornance in spot mop up duty vs. times when he had gotten consistent minutes and say the guy that shows up for a couple minutes here and there at the end of games is who he is and to disregard times when he's actually gotten steady play.

But like I said...I think it could be a number of factors keeping him off court from attitude, the coach liking brewers hustle and pace, Brew being a vet, brew having to play to have any value to kj not practicing well...etc....

Anyways. Back to the KJ sucks fest...doesn't really matter any way. Just thought I'd articulate my points.

acsorelle4 and RocketsTerps like this.
  13. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

OP said it well. can't dribble to make plays. Even ariza and Dekker are much better at creating than kj. Can't shoot. He isn't trash when he is in a system where he is only expected to dunk and blocks, but otherwise his flaws are too noticeable. Wonder if he can improve his dribbling substantially.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  14. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Well, that's not saying much. KJ should be better than Brewer. May still achieve that elsewhere. However, at 30 years old Brewer still has a better motor and plays harder than McDaniels.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's terrible and he's still better than Corey Brewer.

RocketsTerps and malakas like this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He played great when he played with decent players. He need regular mins before I will judge him.

17. BackdoorHarden

Why is Corey Brewer still on the team now that his man JBB is gone? I thought JBB and Corey were lovers?

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

be a better fan.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Some people need a role and minutes to get in the flow of the game. Not that he shouldn't be ready whenever he's called on, but thats just him. It's mental, it's hard to keep a grove when one plays two minutes of chaotic garbage time every other 5 games.

It's obvious he plays well off ball, Harden really clicked with him with lobs and wide open corner 3's in the preseason. I feel like if he finds the right home this trade will burn us, really wish he got Brewers mins.​

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. OTMax

OTMax Member

He should at least get some of Brew's minutes before I fully write him off.