1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't over react- Rockets will be better in the long run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Dec 20, 2016.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm disappointed in the news of Capela but overall I think this injury could be a very good thing to happen to the Rockets this year. Montrezl and Dekker have been showing signs of being full blown contributors for this team and this will give them much time to prove their worth as a major cog. We may lose a few games we normally would have won with Capela starting but in the long run and playoff time we will be a much stronger team with more options to work with.

The last thing the Rockets need to do is over react and trade. If a decent FA pickup comes along out of nowhere then fine (especially to protect injuries to Nene or if another player goes down). But anything more than that is unnecessary. We may lose to the Spurs tonight but if we play well, make it close, and perhaps even pull out the victory then we may be in line to watch a very special team this year.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make a good point, but what about the teams with big centers? I don't see Harrell stopping many dunks on a 7 footer, and Nene is limited on minutes. I love Harrell's energy, but his height doesn't make him a true center, and even Clint seemed too small to defend some of those guys. If either Nene or Harrell gets hurt we need a veteran center, because everyone seems to think our rookie isn't developed enough. I don't know, but this might be a great time to give it a try, and get him some minutes if he is even close. Me personally, I'd like a taller center while Clint is gone, but don't want to give up good players to get one, so I'd rather do without.

In all honesty, we would probably couldn't get anyone decent without giving up someone we could really use when Clint gets back, and into the playoffs. I definitely don't want to see us trade Gordon or any of our starters. I'd hate to see us trade Wiltjer, Dekker, or Harrell, and any of the other bench players probably wouldn't satisfy anyone looking for a trade. We are also going to miss Clint's ability to run the floor and get the alley oops, as well as his rebounding. Clint is also really good at opening the floor up for the 3's with his quick move inside to draw pressure after setting pics for Harden.

3. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

It is going to all depend on how long Nene can play during this stretch. DMo would be nice to have right now, tho. We are on a big roll right now, would hate to see that decline - especially since San Antonio is doing so well.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Draymond Green is even shorter than trezll but can neutralize any center in nba

Hui, roslolian and deb4rockets like this.
  5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

yea because they allow him to play illegal defense

Hui, RasaqBoi and Remlap like this.
  6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

forget opposing bigs. Let them score 2s while we rain treyys... heyyyyy! :cool:

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

They did that and almost lost to the Nets

Remlap and Ndz like this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yes. If only he had also broken the other fibula.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its part of the game.

Grizzlies lost Conley / Parsons
    Clippers lost Griffin
    Spurs lost Parker
    Utah lost hill
    OKC lost Oladipo

We lost Capella / Beverley, just keep fighting.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  10. Ndz

Ndz Member

Inevitably more minutes will fall on the other starters as the lineups go smaller. Hopefully Houston can weather the injury, and develop Dekker and Harrell into something bigger and possible trade chips, grab a star, then sign a few vets and head championshipward!

11. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Historically when a Rocket gets injured the player to replace him shines (ie Brooks and Lowry). Its a small sample size but hopefully Harrell starts to get it all together. If Harrell can turn into the Center version of Beverly, we might be ok.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Well here's a highlight of Brook Lopez dozing the lane en route to the Nets scoring75 2nd half points when we played them last

[​IMG]

deb4rockets and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  14. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Hello 10+ minutes a game of Anderson as the stretch 5...

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Trez is grabbing 3.3 rebounds in 13.5 minutes. He's not a bad rebounder. He's just not very good or excellent like Capela.

Nene I feel like we've under utilized him. He has been far more of a passer in his recent career, he's barely getting a chance to do anything but take shots late in the clock here. His defense will look FAR better with the starters. Maybe even take some more 3's.

We'll be fine. 28 minutes for Nene, 20 for Harrell at C. Onuaku as insurance.

That leaves 18 minutes behind Anderson at PF, which Harrell/Dekker/Ariza/Anderson will compete over.

I agree with OP, no need to panic at all.

This is a GREAT time to stop playing Brewer and start playing KJ. KJ gives us some more blocks/rebounds and we need to inflate his value a bit in case a trade comes up. I've given up hope in Brewer's value changing anymore, he's been atrocious for too long, let's give KJ a shot to change his trade value.

16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Don't tell Dramond Green he's too small to play C. My point is that anyone who puts in the energy and effort do defend and rebound can compete against anyone no matter their height, Green has proven that and Chuck Hayes before him. Harrell needs to come in and play his role like he has been all season. He needs to fundamentally box out, rebound, take charges, and stay on his feet because he's not blocking many shots. Just need him to run the floor and make the opposite defender play catchup.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Warriors continue to stay healthy every year.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify :cool:

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Well the shitty part is 2 of our other bigs are injury prone

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would you say that? That's messed up to wish that on anyone.