1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not only that, but the optimist part of me says that the Texans may have been taking a purposeful Aaron rodgers-type path with Savage. Treating him with kid gloves.

Remember how little college football Savage actually played. Also, remember when he was coming out , some scouts said he could be taken in the second round and was sneaking up boards due to people comparing him to Tom Brady (can't remember why).

Most people don't remember how little college football Savage played. I don't think there was ever a chance he played extensively in his first two years, barring an emergency.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are multiple articles and sources saying OBrien wanted him plus reports that Obrien has final or significant say over the 53 man roster.

There is one dude tweeting that he was "force fed" Brock (La Caforna's source is probably OBrien). Of course this only came after Brock started to suck.

3. Mr. Clutch

The QB carouseling has definitely been strange. I mean Hoyer wasn't good, but he was clearly better than Mallet. So was Fitzpatrick. And Fitz and Hoyer and Savage are better than Brock. Yet he always tends to start the worst guy.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My word of mouth is coming from a guy who plays on the team lol.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If B'OB is so pro-Savage, then WHY did he/they put him on SEASON-ending IR for a short term injury? NFL QB's dont get medical redshirts like college. Got to have him taking as many practice reps as you can.

Since its B'OB who makes final decisions on roster, its not like he couldnt keep Savage around even if he sucked. But if thats your guy, wouldnt you want your guy available? (Not that you have an answer, just its odd if its confirmed that Savage is that highly regarded)

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, I knew ahead of time that this board got taken over by low football IQ posters. Is it supposed to matter to me that a group of people who don't know what they are talking about sit around and agree with each other that I'm wrong? LOL, you could find 100 people with no credibility to agree with you and I'd still laugh. Ad populum nonsense doesn't get you very far with me kiddo, I'd have hoped you would learn that by now.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure he wasn't ready coming out of college and BOB's system is pretty hard to pick up so he doesn't like playing anyone that hasn't been in it or something similar. With Osweiler he really didn't have a choice due to the situation, but there's a reason why BOB kept picking up vets who either had been in the system before or who were extremely smart like Fitz.

Now that Savage has been in the system for a few years, it has clearly paid off. His command of the system is a huge advantage that he wouldn't have had in previous seasons. Why ruin him by playing him early?

8. Mr. Clutch

So BOB realized early on that his own scouting of Brock was wrong. That wouldn't surprise me. The guy was slinging INTs all throughout preaseason.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Or, it wasnt BOB's guy and the team gets to hear the real coach, and not what he tells the media.. therefore, tmac's friend on the team would be a more reliable source.

Edit: I'll be honest, the only inside source I have with the team is a friend of Obrien's but we only ever talk players, I would never ask him about BOB because I know he would just back him. I know that makes it look more like I am backing BOB but honestly we don't talk about him at all.. Just players like Teddy Bridgewater and how he was not on their draft boards at all.

10. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough, the only thing that bugs me is this meme that B'OB didn't want Brock. It just seems so unbelievable to me given the news articles written at the time. OBrien obviously can do well, Hoyer and Fitz had career years with him and Savage looked very solid. And Rick and McNair deserve blame too.

Why didn't they have Teddy on their draft boards?

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm changing back to No.

I know it's never gonna happen but Rick Smith is the one I want gone. If they miss out on the playoffs, if they win a chip. Rick Smith needs to be gone.

I would like to add that I am fkn sick to my own death of Bill O'Brien's chirpy attitude in press conferences. And the shade he throws, the coach speak saying words that don't mean anything...all of it. Get a grip man, for real. It was a great change of pace from Kubiak but dude, you aren't Belichick. I would honestly love to get to ask him a question where he gives one of his "well I just think that football is a game where 11 guys lineup against 11 guys and they try to move an oblong, leatherbound, inflated ball towards a goal line" answers and just be like, uhhhh coach, no offense but that didn't answer ****.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because he's not a good football player. Would the Texans really be better off if they drafted that bust over Savage?

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Didn't think he could make all the throws, and size.. although, after seeing Brock, size means s**t

14. tmacfor35

All I'm saying is that per preseason BOB wanted to start Savage from the get go but was put in a rock and a hard place. BOB was not spearheading the Brock signing. It was Smith and McNair. Was it no surprise that throughout camp you heard how Savage was the best of the three?

If Bob had went with Savage from the get go and it not worked out after the money that was given to Os, what would have happened? Fired.

BOB will most likely get an extension if he can get them in the playoffs with Savage. He doesn't have that much control and if you read in to his quotes he has been transparent about it subtly.

15. tmacfor35

The throws to Fuller(one handed) and Hopkins(9 yard gain left sideline) would had not been thrown or picked had Os thrown them.

That's the difference in QB play.

The throwing motion is much more efficient with Savage.

Night and day.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you're quoting your possible false sources to debunk other false sources?

I'd say there's more sources/smoke out there that BOB wasn't the driving force behind getting Brock, but once he was on board he had no choice but to support it. That's a vastly different stance than saying that BOB wanted him.

Frankly, if he's as stubborn as you suggest he is... and truly wanted/covted Brock... why would he have made the switch at all?

houstonstime likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Ok thanks. If true, then this organization is truly dysfunctional.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You can look at that both ways.... they still liked him enough to keep him on IR and not cut him outright, but they felt strongly that between Hoyer/Mallett... at least one of them would be able to survive the season.

Its only after Mallett crashed/burned and flamed out from a professional standpoint, that the team had no recourse... and had to go with Yates/Weeden due to Hoyer's injury and Savage being on IR.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody has debated that.

What front office member anywhere survives a 2-14 season?

20. Mr. Clutch

Well I've seen more sources and articles talking about how OBrien has say on the roster and wanted Brock. Only one saying otherwise is LaCaforna, and it's anonymous sources vs actual quotes from people.

Why would he have made the switch? Well it took until week 15 and it at that point he may be hurting his career by keeping Brock rather than admitting the mistake of a bad signing.