1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Some of you need a break from the Texans. A serious break.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They had QB issues prior to BOB... and they'll likely have QB issues after BOB.

Funny how you believe one narrative... and completely exclude the other. Chances are, the truth is somewhere in the middle... with BOB signing off on trying to get an upgrade at QB, but not necessarily going gaga over Brock (and why would he?).

But, there's the fact that Savage was deemed IR'able last year... when in fact he probably could have contributed... and that was a group decision made by the coach/GM.

Alright... I'll let you get back to your crusade...

houstonstime and Joshfast like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Actually I agree McNair and Rick are also problems with McNair ultimately responsible for the weird front office setup

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, your boy Kubiak helped start this. He brought in Rick Smith to help insulate himself from extra responsibility and criticism (and to essentially be just a cap manager). It was the New Enlgand/Belicheck model, as for years he brought in patsy GM's to have a title (when he was really calling the shots).

Little did Kubiak know that Rick Smith would end up throwing him under the bus and somehow survive a 2-14 season without getting fired.

Now, Smith is as entrenched in the organization as the owner. He's still essentially a liaison, but by default, he's closer to the owner than any potential coach or other front office member... and his opinion ends up mattering more than it should.

The Brock signing, if you wade through all the media jargon (including BOB's lies... which you know he lies... and you've called him out on it... yet you go about quoting everything he said about Brock as "truth").... does speak more towards this being more of a Rick Smith/McNair hatched idea that did seem to make sense on paper, rather than BOB saying "I want him... go get him for me!"

I'm honestly surprised he stuck with him as long as he did. If the first Indy game doesn't somehow go their way, Brock probably wouldn't have survived the bye week. Definitely shouldn't have survived after San Diego... a bad defensive team that somehow won on the road by keeping the Texans off the board.

conquistador#11 and houstonstime like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

I don't disagree with what you said about the arrangement under Kubiak. That's what I think happened too

Under O'Brien I guess it's possible but I think he's still at the stage where he's picking his own guys. Especially given his quotes on the matter

Rick may be starting up the bus though

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It wouldn't make sense for Rick to have the same amount of power now than what he had 10 years ago when he was hired as a first time GM. Would he take a promotion to VP of football operations without wanting an increase in decision making?

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I keep going back to the 2014 draft. I really wanted them to draft Teddy Bridgewater. He checked all the boxes for what you looked for in a QB except two items: size. He was short and lacked a rocket arm. I honestly believe that BoB looked at Osweiler and saw a taller version of Tom Brady. And that's why they signed him to that contract - because visions of Brady were dancing around in their heads. I don't believe that they looked for the warning flags about him at all mostly because they just didn't want to see them. Which brings us to the current mess. I don't think Savage is the answer at all - if he was, they would have never have shelled out $37M guaranteed when they had their guy on the roster for $300K. It's one thing to look good against a 2-12 Jacksonville team that's going nowhere. It's another thing altogether to do it in the playoffs which I have to assume is where Savage will be starting (that's IF they manage to beat Cincy & the Titans). Sooner or later, Savage will get exposed and then they'll be back at square one - again.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least we dodged that bust.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now, now - don't be hatin' on the brother. He was light years better than Osweiler and Minny was doing just fine with him at QB. It really was unfortunate what happened to him. What's also unfortunate is how the Texans are now stuck with a salary cap mess of their own making with Osweiler. Oh well: stupid is as stupid is...

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know about that, Teddy's first season was 12 games and he had 14 TDs and 12 interceptions, Brock's first 12 games had 14 TD's and 13 interceptions.....so really they are fairly close.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, Teddy is done and If Savage keeps doing well so is Brock. I'm sure some will freak out that Osweiler is under contract for one more season, but....does that really matter? In the end both were busts.

11. Major

Major Member

Why would you randomly use the first season of their careers to evaluate how close they are when they each have more recent data to evaluate? And why use only TD/INT ratios when there are endless other stats to use?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not random at all, you use a first season to compare to a first season. Of course the difference is that for whatever reason there was an odd religion built up around one of them so the fact that he was playing poorly doesn't matter.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

doesn't know what random means lol

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

They were wrong about Osweiler being the answer. They could be just as wrong about Savage not being the answer. They may just be really bad at evaluating QB talent.

15. Mr. Clutch

If we make the playoffs with Savage he wont get fired.

He drafted and developed Savage after all

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's probably true, but then you have to wonder about his ability to judge talent, if he thought Osweiller was so much better than Savage that he was worth paying more than 10 times as much money. It just worries me that there was something he didn't like about Savage enough to never give him much of a chance. I definitely LOVE the move, but can't help be nervous about the next 2 games.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He also thought Hoyer and Mallet were good QB's... but he did get the best years out of them, as well as Fitzy. Honestly the only QB he hasnt done well with despite being a terrible QB was Brock.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I mentioned this months ago and Jason La Canfora did on game day. BOB didn't pick Osweiler. He was force fed him. He's preferred Savage from day one.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Exposed once again, I like how you use Teddy's first season when he was 22 years old against Brock's first season when he's 26 because it fits your argument.

Yet, when you were trying to compare Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney the first thing that always came out of your mouth was that Clowney was 2 years younger therefore you have to compare Mack/Clowney's seasons when they were the same age. It has been a bad 2 days for you. Getting exposed all over the place.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I never know the real truth in those 5th hand stories. I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, or better yet, his wife. Too bad I don't know her. I'm sure she knows the truth.

#840 deb4rockets, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016