1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

My main trade targets remain:
    Incoming: 1) Noel/Stauskas/Hollis Thompson (76ers) 2) Rudy Gay/Willie Cauley-Stein 3)Ibaka/Fournier
    Outgoing: Tyler Ennis/Brewer/Chinanu/KJ McDaniels & draft picks/rts to foreign players.....possibly Nene.

Rockets clogged the paint vs WCS until the game was in hand. Then WCS was able to operate. With
    the Rockets he would have plenty of space on the offensive end. I liked how he was talking to his
    teammates on defense directing others. Defense of the PnR near the 3-pt line. I would rather not lose
    Dekker/Ariza/Harrell/Capela. My urgency is not Harden's contract; but the injury history of Bev/Gordon/
    Ryno/Dekker-(last yr). Because of the injury history I would prefer to spread 1st rd picks out if multiple
    1st rd picks sent out. I expect one of Gordon or Ryno to be traded this offseason (unless the Rockets win
    the title this yr) due to suspect said injury histories. My guess is PF Ryan Anderson if Rox could
    get Ibaka this summer.....or sooner. I could throw in Tyson Chandler into the mix.

Edited later: forget Fournier. Just saw his contract

#461 Jatman20, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    D-rock likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

You need to compare their numbers from last season they both played, Chandler is clearly on the decline. His 15 years in association has caught up or will catch up soon. Chandler is NOT the kind of asset that Morey is going to invest/give up his precious resources on. See Nene.

As for 2 young centers I actually agree with you that a vet, albeit not one so long in tooth (under 10 years), would be better complement. However, let's not underestimate value of iron sharpening iron.

#462 D-rock, Dec 18, 2016
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

As for rim protection definition and prowess I will let Grantland do the talking, more informative and entertaining than I could muster. The article was from 2015.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nerlens-noel-the-other-rookie-of-the-year/

Jatman20 likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm baffled by so many claims that Noel's hands and lack of girth make him an offensive liability/defensively limited or that Capela is clearly and definitively the better offensive player. There are even those that claim that Harden or even MDA's space emphasis schemes would not improve Noel's numbers as they obviously have Capela's. But when Noel didn't have to compete for minutes with Embiid and Okafor, creating much more room in the post he put up 30 points on Deandre Jordan and the Clips the last season he played.

Defensively, Noel is a true triple threat: blocked shots, rebounds, steals

The guy just lives above the rim and can run forever, skinny or not. The kind of talent that can dominate game defensively. Rockets do not have big like that, not many teams do. Including Suns.

And finally the aspersions on this kid's character, work ethic, will to win, coachability, etc. have been overstated to the point of hyperbole. But this kind of stuff usually occurs during a players contract year and exacerbated on a perennially losing organization, no clear vision on what to do with 3 lottery picks taken in consecutive drafts at same position. Frustration boils over when you feel unwanted or see your value being depreciated, he's human but more importantly he's still so young.

JoeBarelyCares, ramotadab and ilias like this.
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Just saw Fourneir
    Thanks for the clips of Noel. I was not a fan of Noel until 2 months ago when I heard of the
    Sixers dilemma. I started looking at Nerlens on You Tube. You Tube clips of a player can
    be deceiving. I focused on PnR involving Noel and ignored the 10 foot jump shots. I envisioned
    Noel being asked to do much the same as Capela in the Houston offense with the shooters
    the Rox supply. Capela at a comfortable 24 mins or so Noel the rest....I was sold. I can
    see Chandler doing much the same. Recently the Rox like to give the center the ball at the top of the
    key to pass from there. I guess both could operate from there....maybe Tyson has the advantage on
    passing to backdoor cuts. Many here on this site think only offense like in the case of D-Mo. The defense
    more than likely will determine how far the Rockets go in the playoffs. Really good defense starts with
    how solid your interior defense performs. Noel would be great for our defense while Tyson improves
    our current defensive level.

#465 Jatman20, Dec 18, 2016
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a fan of highlights either, better to watch entire games to see things in context. Noel is an elite defender and his offensive deficiencies are horribly exaggerated, especially for a team like the Rockets. Houston needs an upgrade at rim protection more than they need points from the 5 spot in any event. No way Noel lets KAT or Brook Lopez have career night on him.

And the last time Rockets had a center who could lead team in rebounds, blocks and steals was during its Championship heyday.

7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

No doubt. I want to retain Ariza/Dekker/Capela. Can you imagine Noel destroying 2nd teams. I could
    design offensive sets involving both Capela and Noel on the court at the same time for brief stints.
    I know D'Antoni could as well. Set 1 guy screening for the ball handler while the other screens for a
    perimeter player for backdoor cuts. Those two guys setting interference all over the court while
    having the versatility to dive to the rim for thunder dunks. I would give two first rd pks as long as I get Stauskas back as well. I'm not keen on RFA. Rox have been burned by Parsons and now
    D-Mo. They would have to take Brewer.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

In your scenario, we're offering players that are 10th, 11th, 12th and 15th in our rotation. And asking for atleast one starter in return (except the magic where its two starters.) Morey isn't that good.

If we want Noel the deal has to be KJ and some picks/rights for Noel, and the 76ers would have to bite. I feel they can maybe get a better offer somewhere else (not much better but better)

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - the center is the defensive player in our system. But they need to be able to 'fit' offensively. That is why Capela has been just so good - the ability to excel in the PnR situation.
    I can see Noel getting to the same point - as Capela on that PnR, he would be a wonderful add to split the minutes at the C spot.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't think KJ would make them bite either, maybe Dekker plus pick/rights to Llull or Gentile. Maybe.

Jatman20 likes this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I agree. I don't think they want KJ. But he would make the salaries match, and then we would hope they want the picks/rights we offer. Onuaku wouldn't work salary wise.
    We want to keep Dekker

dragonwill and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Want to keep Dekker too, but have to give up something of value too. KJ has minimal value unless the pick and rights can be sweetened up somehow.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Dude I know. If you're going to quote me in response at least read my posts. I said its not likely to happen. Maybe Philly would bite on the picks but they can probably get something better elsewhere.
    All good though.
    But yeah either way I would not want to touch any of our rotation (including Dekker) for someone like Noel, so it would have to be just picks and thats not likely.

14. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I also don't know if we should include Dekker. It's too early to tell if Dekker can become a solid starter. To me, he is at least going to be a very solid rotation player.

That's why maybe trading for Chandler or Bogut is easier than trading for Noel. Chandler and Bogut are too old for teams to generally give up a lot for them, but their experience and elite defense still make them extremely valuable as rotation players to handle 24 minutes a game. Maybe a package involving Harrell & KJ & Brewer will be enough.

15. Rockets4Life13

I wouldn't want to give up harrell aswell. When we lack energy on the court and harrell comes into the game you can feel the energy rising. I think he brings a whole lot to the team rhat u can't see by watching box scores. We need harrell, thats why it's so difficult for me to imagine any trade happening.

16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes, again looking for a seller. For the sake of discussion I will focus a trade with the 76ers (they shld be in
    sell mode.....soon). The Sixers have a payroll of $77.5 mil for a reason. That's to take on payroll while adding
    unfavorable contracts. They drafted centers for 10 yrs to trade.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hvob4jt
    I would go with deal plus 1st & 2nd (2) Or 1st (2) & 2nd (1). I would not give a first for just Noel who
    will be a RFA. Stauskas (a former 1st rd 8th pk) and them taking Brewer makes the deal
    happen for me. I'm not sure any team gives a 1st for a RFA with injury history of Noel. The
    pieces I take back also fit the Rox needs. Not sure any other team can do this deal or one
    similar. Tyler Ennis fills a need at PG now that Bayless is out....w/expiring contract. That works
    for Sixers. KJ is a highlight machine that they could trade later. Brewer is a vet presence that
    Embiid/Okafor/Simmons/Covington need. Brewer contract is not an albatross around the neck
    of the Sixers like it is for Houston. $7 mil is tolerable for them but impedes progress in Houston's
    title hope this yr. Stauskas & Thompson could flourish in D'Antoni scheme. Just a suggestion.
    I would go with what we have if Sixers say no.....or want Dekker instead. Too much risk to put
    all the chips to the center of the table. If you could guarantee Harden/Gordon/Ryno/Ariza/Capela don't get a major injury....then yes. Trading Dekker & first rd picks for Noel loses me .*sidenote: Sixers also have contracts that they can buyout. Luwawu & Holmes to make room on their roster if need be. cash consideration may go their way as well. Rox have pulled off stranger deals.....Lin & 1st for Sergio Lishchuk.

#476 Jatman20, Dec 18, 2016
    kwakmeister likes this.
  17. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Blah I'm so torn about Noel, especially with Capela down.

* It is utmost important to make sure we are making the right move and not making a move out of desperation to preserve the win streak. Period *

He is young enough to where I don't mind throwing in a first round pick and considering him the profit for cashing the 1st in. Add whatever makes both sides happy- and as many of you want as well I would like to keep Capela, Ariza, Anderson, Beverley, Gordon, and Dekker. That seems to be the core, plus Harden and Nene is a bro. So moveable assets to me are *Harrell, Brewer, KJ, Wiltjer, Brown, Chinanu and Ennis. Also the rights to Llull and Gentile. I'd rather not give up Gentile though, personally.

*in THIS particular case, because his minutes would get swapped to the incoming player. Otherwise Harrell has a wonderful motor and I enjoy him and would like to keep him.

However consider that Noel is a good player just in a bad situation. We shouldn't expect our lesser players to equal a rotational player. I would love for that to be the case but it's just realistically not.

I also don't honestly know what Noel's market value is. I think I do want him though, even if he has a questionable personality as of late. I mean he is literally the biggest casualty to 'trust the process'. He inherited a terrible team and he's not a ball dominant player, he can't bring the team out of the rut they've been in.

Bottom line, I do what I can to not give up the core I mentioned and I give up picks instead. Offer picks and young guns. How many? Morey can figure it out. Does Philly even want more picks? I don't know. I can't throw out an equal trade, it's really hard to do that. I would like to see Capela and Noel eventually in the front court together just for fun. Twin towers was a good time for me. I enjoy seeing big ball, small ball is lame as hell even if it's the way the NBA has moved.

Both Capela and Noel are 22, I like having youth on the team that we can use.

Sorry I can't propose an even trade, but I think Noel would prove to be more than just a bandaid to the situation with Clint Capela currently shaken up. We don't have to preserve the win streak, it's more important to solidify our team going forward.

Jatman20 likes this.
  18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I doubt the Sixers want guys that contribute right now. They mainly want picks. Time is
    not of the essence for the Sixers. Picks, money, foreign stash guys, guys they can flip later.
    Brewer expiring contract is very flip able this summer.

kwakmeister likes this.
  19. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I know what you mean. I am also torn on trading Harrell. But he and Capela are just not enough to defend the really physical big men however they try. That's why I think it is a move that the Rockets should make if they can solidify their big men line up. There is no way Capela or Harrell will be able to improve so much until they bulk up further, and that won't happen until next season.

Yeah, Capela and Noel in the roster would be nice, and I think at least one of them will work out really well long term. Noel can play backup. Twin tower won't work. I rather have 4 3 point shooters on the floor any time. I rather want a more experienced elite defending C to increase our chance at beating the contenders.

kwakmeister likes this.
  20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I agree with you. No bandaid situation. Capela is probably at a comfortable 24 mins. Noel as well
    would be wise to play near or around 24 mins. Everything the Rox ask of Capela.....Noel do the same.
    D'Antoni & the Rox system could make a lot of money for Noel/Stauskas/Hollis Thompson. Rockets
    would become my favorite to win it all (barring injuries). Like you I'm not sure of the price tag. Looking
    at a Sixers site discussing Noel trade. Their fans are down and many are saying they would be lucky
    to get a second rounder for Noel. Injuries, limited offensive skills (fine in Houston), RFA upcoming.
    I wish some reports would be leaked as to what their asking price is. Often higher than what the fans
    believe.

kwakmeister likes this.