1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you move Capela for Noel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 17, 2016.

1. anchel

anchel Member

If Noel is available like it seems, would you try the exchange?

Why? Because Noel is supposed to have a higher upside (we can discuss about it); because he's the top candidate among Philly's big men to get out at this deadline, and it is obtainable; and because you don't know Morey if you think he will ignore chances of improvement in the long run just because the team is rolling right now.

#1 anchel, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Why would you?

It's not a good idea to post a thread and provide zero substance. If you want to pose a wild trade, at least provide something to tell us why it would be good or bad.

heypartner likes this.
  3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

random trade idea? do we have a thread for this ?

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

nope. capela is so low maintenance man.

Jatman20, Pen15clubber and D-rock like this.
  6. bongman

bongman Member

Noel might turn out to be one heck of a player one day but not a big fan of his current attitude. No for me.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not an option

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Philly doesn't need another 5, that's their problem right now-too many centers, so unless a third team is involved there is no swapping these 2 players.

The better idea is to bring in Noel to back up Capela, or vice versa. Nene can't play too many minutes effectively so a true back up 5 is needed, this season and for the future.

Noel is available for peanuts right now due to a multitude of reasons beyond his control, trader Morey's time to strike is now. Having both Capela and Noel on team would deepen our rotation without losing athleticism or rim protection at 5.

kjayp and Jatman20 like this.
  9. anchel

anchel Member

Because Noel is supposed to have a higher upside (we can discuss about it); because he's the top candidate among Philly's big men to get out at this deadline, and it is obtainable; and because you don't know Morey if you think he will ignore chances of improvement in the long run just because the team is rolling right now.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with all your points except for the part of trading Capela for Noel directly. That part not realistic or even desirable at this point.

T for 3 likes this.
  11. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

Injury prone no thanks! Like capela better anyways

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Cuban is going to trade his next 10 pics for Noel because picks are stupid

13. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

No, hellno, We are rolling right now. Clint is getting better each day.

14. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Give KJ back, with Onuaku and Tyler Enis! then Call up the Gove pt2

kwakmeister likes this.
  15. bongman

bongman Member

If you think that Morey only looks at just numbers and doesn't value chemistry, then you don't know him at all. After what we went through with Dwight, the last thing we want is another primadonna whining about playing time or something else because he thinks he is the bomb.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No. For many reasons inc, IIRC, CC has additional rookie year contract. Without that? Still - - no. Hmm, Nene? Mebbe.

17. bongman

bongman Member

You want this attitude from a player who has not accomplished anything in the NBA yet thinks so highly of himself?

T for 3 likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Obligatory "Yule C"

19. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

NO!! Don't muck with chemistry!!

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Before the season started, I would have been on board with this. Noel is going to be a great player if he finds the right fit. In this NBA, his defensive qualities are stupendous. If you've ever seen the guy getting switched onto a guard you would understand what I mean.

However, a few things have happened since:

1) Noel whining about playing. I don't like this from a young person. Embiid, Okafor and Saric are competing for minutes along with Noel. I was very disappointed to hear he doesn't have the attitude to just win the minutes. Why assume you will not get enough minutes? He definitely had/has the opportunity to play, that's not an extremely crowded frontline. At the very least, he can reduce Okafor to a useless part of the rotation and there's easily 30+ minutes there to win.

2) If you are Capela's coach/GM, you have to be a real POS to look him in the eye right now where we are and tell him that he is being traded for Noel. If I were Capela, I would be annoyed. He has met or exceeded every expectation of him for 3 consecutive years. As recently as this summer, people were making the idiotic assertion that he's hit his ceiling and we need to deal him before he gets exposed. Capela worked hard on his game and his strength, showed up ready. His PnR game is sharp as ever, his defense is much improved, and even his hook shot is looking more polished. He's pushing through his stamina issues, where he also has improved slightly. Do you trade a 22 year old who has exceeded all your expectations for 3 consecutive years now? At what point do you accept that this kid is better than we thought? Capela has earned minutes and respect. His mentors and bosses owe him more respect for going above and beyond what was expected of him regularly. Whether it should be seen as a business or not, Capela has more than done his part.

3) Capela's chemistry with James Harden. Very very important. These guys get a long on the court and seem to have a great rapport off the court. That's the kind of relationship I can see continuing to motivate Capela to be better and better. Harden is giving him the confidence that he can attack the top C's in the league. It's a pretty rare thing to get someone who is a perfect compliment to your star guy, young, improving constantly, well suited to the modern NBA. Maybe Noel could be better than Capela long term, but will Noel/Harden be better than Capela/Harden long term? I am doubtful of that. Noel will be better defensively, but don't sleep on the fact that as raw as Capela's game is, he is a significantly better offensive player than Noel.

Good thing it's not a trade the Sixers would seek, although I can see it being a 3 team trade where Capela goes elsewhere. Now, if you give me Capela/Noel at C for the next 5-10 years, WOW. That would be incredible for this team. Are we good enough as a team that giving all the backup C minutes to Noel could have a real impact on our ability to contend? That's an important question because when it comes time to pay them both, you will have to wonder how much you're willing to spend on the C rotation.

As we continue to impress (although I know we have recently been playing some Mickey Mouse teams) I am becoming less willing to tinker with this team. If we are going to have HCA in the playoffs, and will have sufficient flexibility to make a play for a MAX player this summer, then I would only make a trade if it is a guaranteed improvement for the next 5 years. Other than that, I don't want to swap role players with anyone. We have great depth and great chemistry and great contracts (other than Ryno and Brewer). Unless we're landing a 5-10 year starter or helping ourselves land one this summer, then I'm inclined to stick with what we have.

Voltik, Sooty, topfive and 7 others like this.