1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Just wait till @DaDakota gets drunk this weekend. He will bump every dmo thread since day 1. I need someone to screenshot that moment when the first page is covered in Lithuanian Sauce.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not yet, but he might.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Except DMo doesn't seem too happy.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't think this is true for 2 reasons ...

#1 . If this was the case I think we would know and I think Morey would be up in arms about it .

#2 from what feigen has intimated , Dmo still could have been kept as an RFA . At that point why not keep him and make him go get an offer sheet ?? To be NICE ? Nah **** that , BJ and DMO have conducted themselves with 0 class through this whole process . **** them .

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Again, you are excusing D-Mo and BJ Armstrong.

I have already addressed your point on front court, so I will not address it again. If you think the Rockets should jeopardize chemistry, cap flexibility, and set a new precedent where RFA can bully their way into getting their demands met, just for a 2nd/3rd string player with an injury issue, then fair enough.

People can have their favorite player, and they will often get upset if the FO does not break their back and the team to keep their favorite player, but at the end of the day people will move on because D-Mo is just not that good to carry that much baggage.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Trade Dekker if it improves the team.

Don't worry about subpar players already gone.

7. heypartner

@The Cat

If league intervened and blocked the new contract for "Loop Hole Reasons", I can't figure out why Morey and BJ/DMo wouldn't have first asked, whether they could rescind FREN and immediately sign a new contract. Maybe they did ask and League said, "Do what you think is right. But we won't pass judgement on something that hasn't happened, yet."

The Cat likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"By Saturday, however, Motiejunas was sent home after the Rockets received the results of a physical"

10. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, it all depends on the final contract Motiejunas ends up with. If it's near equal to or better than the Nets' offer, then, well, BJ has done his job. But as for now, without a contract in hand, it's an incomplete grade.

Things may not be bad long term for the Rockets either. It depends on whether they end up using the cap space for a solid roster upgrade, or (knock on wood) Motiejunas's back doesn't hold up and they dodged a bullet by not signing him.

But NBA owners must not like what just happened because, as others have noted, it sets a bad precedent regarding RFAs.

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dmo shouldn't be happy he's probably hurt worse than the rockets .

#1 even if he didn't fail the physical teams may think there are issues due to both the number of outs the nets gave themselves and because of the timing of this whole ordeal .

#2 his earning potential this year is likely shot . We are less than a month away from the date which teams can prorate contracts , unless some team with cap space suffers a catastrophic injury and was in contention they are not gonna be in a hurry to sign Dmo .

#3 he had MULTIPLE and I repeat MULTIPLE opportunities to make money this year . First there was the QO and frankly he may not make that much this year , second there was our 7+1 , finally the nets which was a for sure 5 but a likely 9.3 and probable 17 if he stayed healthy to March , and with that one even if we matched and didn't give incentives it's still the same story with 8.3 and like 16 .

So yeah he's ****ed himself by not taking dollars on the table / showing up for the first damn physical .

The whole thing that bugs me is that if indeed the league did step in and say we went against the CBA spirit , the HOW THE **** did Dmo and BJ ALSO not violate the spirit by refusing to show up after being matched .

This whole thing is madness and there is definitely some love lost here for Dmo and some disgust gained for BJ . On the surface is appears they got what they want , hopefully they don't and teams refuse to give more than a vet min prove yourself deal

Easy and PeppermintCandy like this.
  12. D'antoni World

I don't think Dmo will be booed. From what I've seen and heard many people actually think the Rockets did him wrong! Let's face it, most fans are uninformed.

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

It has to be more than this. The rockets were willing to match the original required portion of the nets offer. If the league forced them to abandon the new deal, they could have just accepted that. Feign made clear they could have kept him as an RFA, even now. Why would they just give that up? They could just wait to see if any other team gave dmo an offer and reconsidered whether to match the next offer. It would have cost them NOTHING. I agree with those who think that they saw something on the physical which may not be a technical reason for failing him, but was enough to make them realize that they weren't willing to pay $8m this year for two months of dmo when they had serious doubts about whether they would still want him, esp when the others were playing well. They may have wanted to back out but not get sued, so they agreed to drop the rfa in exchange for no lawsuit for potentially harming his rep. Or maybe they said we don't care and we wish you luck. Keep in mind that had they kept him as an rfa, it would cost them nothing this year, and they could have worked a sign and trade with him in the summer. I think they decided that he was not going to be healthy long term.

14. heypartner

fwiw: for the purposes of detailing "Principal Terms" in the Offer Sheet, Incentives based on "Team Performance" have to be spelled out in the offer sheet as likely/unlikely for both the new team and separately for the ROFR team. So that should have been known by all parties as part of the language of the Principal Terms in the Offer Sheet.

flamingdts likes this.
  15. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

"Hey, D-Mo!"
    "No, no D-Mo."
    "No D-Mo? Why no D-Mo?"
    "Because Montrezl Harrell from Louisville is D-Mo, that's why!"

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

DMO will be blacklisted by NBA teams for breaking RFA

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Man I hope this happens

18. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I dont know if do everything by the books.
    If you match an offer, you cant agree news terms later

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

My god man... The ONLY reason we agreed to need terms was because D-Mo and BJ through a hissy fit. We were perfectly fine with matching the Nets offer. The Rockets did not turn D-Mo away from the physical, D-Mo chose NOT to show.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they are part of the problem too and if you were paying any attention I've been highly critical of BJ throughout this process.....but that doesn't mean that Morey didn't screw up. In the end, he lost the player which potentially hurts the team. Nothing else is important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.