1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

When did this happen?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm actually pretty bummed that the young guys Rockets drafted are no longer here. TJ, DMO and Chandler were supposed to be future contributors.

Don't trade Dekker Morey.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

T-Jones got effed by a bunch of freak injuries that derailed his upwards trending career. D-Mo has just been one bizarre though briefly entertaining ride. Parsons is just broken.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It happened before the Nets gave him the offer sheet.

topfive likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...the-rights-to-Donatas-Motiejunas-10799510.php

They had agreed to a four-year contract with Motiejunas last week after initially matching his offer sheet with the Brooklyn Nets, but had been unable to complete the deal after Motiejunas took his physical on Saturday.

The Rockets' efforts to sign Motiejunas had been difficult throughout, with the sides far apart through the offseason and into the season. The Rockets' offer eventually guaranteed $8 million in the first season, but was non-guaranteed after this season.

Motiejunas signed an offer sheet with the Nets worth as much as $37 million over four years, with $35 million in base salary and incentives likely to be earned. The Rockets matched the base salary and Motiejunas refused to report for his physical. The sides agreed last Thursday to a new deal, with incentive bonuses similar to the Nets' offer, but allowing the Rockets to make a decision on the non-guaranteed remainder of the contract each July.

By Saturday, however, Motiejunas was sent home after the Rockets received the results of a physical, effectively ending his time in Houston.​

Houstunna and Vivi like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Except including the incentives is not something teams do. We do not know what the incentives are, and incentives could be “likely” or “unlikely” for different teams.

To me it just seems like you are excusing D-Mo and BJ Armstrong for their behaviour, which according to basically everyone in this league has been nothing but bizarre and unprofessional. It’s a bit silly to be blaming the Rockets FO on this when the person that has been acting out of the ordinary is D-Mo and the agent, and you are blaming the FO for not giving in?

What’s next after the FO caves in, D-Mo threatens to not show up for practice unless he gets 20 minutes play time per game? D-Mo threatens to not play hard unless he gets 10 post attempts per game?

BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How did Dmo not reporting for the physical after the match ALSO NOT violate the spirit of RFA.. And don't gimme the **** about we matched the minimum .It was fully within the team's rights and there was precedence for it.

Dmo also lost big in this ordeal ( probably ) sure the rockets also lost , but Dmo might have lost more , we will see depending on what contract he gets .

I bet he's going to have his earning potential hurt quite a bit .

1. We are in mid December , there are no teams that are so hurting for Dmo that they aren't just gonna wait for the Jan 10th deadline and pro-rate the first year ...

2. Even Brooklyn was super cautious about the back and gave themselves multiple outs and multiple years of control .

3. Any contract Dmo gets from now on is either going to be a 1 year prove yourself low $ deal .... OR A similar deal to the rockets last offer , but will be prorated and will lock him up at <10 million a year for multiple years with the team's having outs ..

He could have had 4.4 mil , he could have had 7 mil guaranteed + 8 with incentives , he could have had 5 mil guaranteed and 9.3 for the first year + another 9 if he stayed healthy by March ... If he just showed up to the first damn physical .

Even with his agent publicly trashing the rockets front office on Twitter we STILL offered him 8 million guaranteed .

Frankly I hope he gets no where near that and is locked into a shitty contract .

**** him and his agents behavior , **** them for dragging this out so long that when we finally do reach a solution the league gets involved and we decide it's worth it just to drop him .

He could have been part of something special this year .

DD , I respect you as a fan , but Dmo and his agent did the rockets dirty and outside of a bombshell being dropped that the rockets were unethical I lost a lot of love for DMO and I hope we never pay a BJ client . In fact I hope we try to meddle with BJ's small clientele as much as possible

LonghornFan likes this.
  8. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

To Bobby brown..... I will alway, love youuuuuuuu

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

It still doesn't say he failed that physical, though, and DMo claims he didn't, that there were no physical hangups.

To me, the timing of the day DMo took that physical is telling. I think that when the team notified the league office that DMo had taken the physical and the contract was officially in effect, the league said, "Um... hold up a minute. This whole 'new contract' thing is kinda sketchy. Don't let him join the team until we can look into this more thoroughly."

10. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I dont think the Rockets have the cap space to sign him now. (Not that they would anyway at this point) As an RFA they could match and cap didnt matter. As an UFA they would have to fit him under the cap. This is the reason I was glad they matched. They werent likely to find a UFA that can do what DMo does for what little cap room they have.

topfive likes this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I wonder if the new CBA had a hand in this.

No longer being able to rescind the QO hurts our position of keeping him a RFA.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is just too crazy . When you think about it DMO must NOT have known that something bad would come up in the physical . Because if he was at all concerned about the back he should have shown up to the first physical . That way at least he would have the NETS as a backup plan .

Any team trying to sign him now is going to be influenced by this ... Just look at how many outs the nets gave themselves in the contract .

Regardless , since it's so close to Jan 10th i would also think that teams wait until they can prorate his contract before they sign him .

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Sux it ended this way. DMo is going to be booed loudly if he ever plays at Toyota center for another team.

And if Bholic was right about a Utah offer, the boos will be defending at Toyota center.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No matter who you want to blame, Morey lost out on the free agent at least in part to his actions. Maybe you think that's fine due you your personal player evaluation of DMo, and that's fine I guess, but the team very likely will end up needing that depth at some point this season and they'll have no way to get it now. Playing hardball is fine, but in this case, it cost the team.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Well... if you fire enough rounds towards the broadside of the barn, statistically speaking, at least one bullet should hit. :p

Zacatecas likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it absolutely did. The news that the CBA talks were falling apart happened at almost exactly the same time the NBA "stepped in" in this ordeal, and the reports of a new deal being agreed to in principle happened at just about the same time as this situation got resolved. I don't think that's a coincidence.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So B.J. won

Rocket River

CometsWin likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was his back. The physical clearly was the initial hold-up over the weekend and they said they were waiting for the results. MDA also was expecting Dmo. Dmo was expecting to be a Houston rocket.

Then Houston stops Dmo and tells him to go home because it's waiting on some test results? You think that was the league???

No way, the Rockets got the league involved because the Rockets clearly wanted out. They wanted a "resolution" not "a way to get Dmo into a Rockets uniform".

It was the Rockets who wanted to get out of this. That's why DMO was pissed and his buddy complaining about the Rockets, not the league.

The League wasn't telling the Rockets to do x,y, or z. The League was telling the Rockets how they could get out of this mess once they realized he was done as an NBA player.

Dmo is a walking time-bomb. His back must be structurally flawed and he's taking a huge risk playing basketball. It must be that severe that the Rockets don't want to touch it.

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Watch DMo go to the Mavs.

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Depends on if any teams still want to deal with D-Mo. His rep might have taken a pretty bad beating with all this drama.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.