1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wonder if SAC would be open to this....

Capela
    Dekker
    Anderson
    Brewer
    Rights to Llull
    Rights to Gentile

for

Cousins
    Gay

Harden / Gordon
    Beverley / Gordon
    Ariza / Gay
    DMo / Gay
    Cousins / Harrell

Sets us up really well to go after another player in free agency

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

For what reason would Kings ever want to do this?

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think Capela and Dekker are worth a lot more than people on here give them credit for. A lot more.

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

A lot more? I doubt it. For a top 3 center in the league? Definitely not. Kings FO would have to be lobotomized to agree to that trade IMO.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yule C.....just kidding.

No return is going to be enough for Cousins. You never get equal value for a star.

Capela is the top young center in the league not named Towns or Embiid.

Dekker is the best young wing in the league right now. Seriously...go down the list of top 10 picks and tell me which are better than him. How many are hitting 53% from the floor and 40% from 3? He's been a major surprise, to the point where I'm not even sure I would include him in a trade for Cousins. I might rather hand him the reigns at SF next season and go after Cousins in 2018 free agency. He's that good, and finding good wings is very, very hard.

6. Lightsnowaction

You have to think about Gay leaving and the prospect of Sam Dekker, who is a starter in this league with 3 & D written all over him. Also, Kings wanted Ryno and Capela is a championship caliber starting C and pretty cheap.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I get what you guys are seeing, I just can't see how Kings would pull a trade like that. There are so many other teams that can offer better players in return than Capela and Dekker, both of whom stats are being inflated playing in MDA's system with Harden.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What tf do you mean no use?

So having a veteran defensive center behind a young developing center doesn't make sense to you?

Our main defensive weakness is interior defense, but you don't want to improve it.

Never said trade capela

Got it...

He had what was considered an albatross contact under the old CBA, under the new CBA it's typical role playing center money. Its only that it is into his later years that is a problem but I'm sure Morey could move him before it were a problem.

People need to start understanding that we won't be getting decent veterans for anything less then 10m and quality centers always cost more.

Besides all of this I proposed to trade Brewer and kj with a 1st for Tyson essentially. It's going to cost to dump Brewer and if you want a solid contributor coming back it will cost more, hence the pick but even that's debatable to include.

Replacing Brewer+kj for Tyson = Win

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  9. Play07

Play07 Member

NO DO NOT WANT

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, in fact in a scenario like this i'd like to keep Sam and leave Rudy off the table, for me Dekker is more valuable already considering his age, salary and upside.

While i think you're kinda right here, i also think that you should keep in mind that Boogie is going to expire next season so, especially if traded in the summer, he'll have a say in his next destination, this alone should close the door to some teams if not most.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not that I think Chandler is overpaid, it's that adding him to the roster means no salary cap space. I'd rather have the space to decide what we want to do.

basketballholic likes this.
  12. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

This is probably a moot point now under the new CBA. The Kings have the upper hand by being able to extend his deal to 6 years. That is unless they are sick of his act and want to move him for that reason alone.

13. hakeemthagreat

Having 2 talented players at the same position with similar skillsets is harmful long term. You can't play Chandler and Capela together because they both can't shoot. One of the them has to play and one will have to sit. What's the use of getting Chandler if Capela's getting the majority of the minutes ahead of him (or vice versa). Isn't Nene already a veteran presence behind our developing center?

#693 hakeemthagreat, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why in the Hell do people want Rudy Gay? He has NEVER been a good player. He is a volume shooter. He has never been able to make teams better. That's why he has bounced around. He puts up meaningless stats. Not going to happen.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Incumbent teams have always had the upper hand. An extra year and higher raises didn't keep Dwight in LA, Aldridge in Portland, or Durant in OKC. If a player is committed to leaving, they will.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a rule that states that Rockets fans have to want at least one awful player on another team at all times. In the past it's been Rondo, Rubio, and Josh Smith for example.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Is he better than Brewer?

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Myles Turner > Capela

basketballholic likes this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know this was meant as a rhetorical question, something to stop someone cold in his tracks, nothing left to say, well-you-got-me-on-that-one, almost-not-fair, like-shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.....but I'll take a shot at it:

Yes, Rudy Gay is better than Corey Brewer. o_O

So is most any dude from a YMCA pickup game. Yep, that about covers it.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not sure it is rhetorical.

The point is Gay is not all that great, but our bar is not "great", our bar is asking is he better than Brewer, who is the person he would be replacing. If he is better than Brewer, then he makes the team better, which is why we would want him.