1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets in talk with league about DMO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by No Chance, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As the rules are currently written, RFA is #DirtyBusiness per my source.

bigred77 and topfive like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, didn't thought about that

3. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

it was super careless of dmo to retweet that... i mean that guy travis straight up called les and morey crooks

blank heard dmos side of the story and let that guy travis escalate the segment to an absurd level of fiery indignation. on some level im sure it was satisfying for blank given his recent dishonorable discharge.

i know the rockets legitimately want(ed?) dmo back. but just by retweeting that dmo is validating a cynical reaction to the extreme and implying an endorsement of that perspective moderated by someone with a big time grudge

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When it was out that the Rockets and DMo negotiated a new contract, I felt that it was against the spirit, if not the letters, of RFA. If they allowed it, it must be a loophole that was not intended when they set up the rule.

I would be pissed if I were the Nets.

basketballholic and KDavis like this.
  5. elainas

elainas Member

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

And the Oscar goes to...Russell Crowe! He played Donatas Motiejunas in the new movie called "Don't worry, I got your back".

[​IMG]

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I get that you don't feel it was right, but feelings don't make something true or not.

For all we know, the CBA rules regarding RFAs were spelled out exactly as the players wanted them to be. After all, the Rockets renegotiating this particular contract would have given DMo more guaranteed money (if he'd passed the Rockets physical, obviously). Maybe that's why those rules were written that way and it's not a loophole at all.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I, too, would be pissed if I were the Nets only because I should have given DMo/BJ a better offer and an offer that I know Houston wouldn't have matched. In other words, if I were the Nets I would be pissed at myself.

macho GRANDE and topfive like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is all on the Blazers btw, they should've not matched that ridiculous contract the Nets gave to Crappe, and all this would've never happened.

10. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

I don't think he would be saying that if the Rockets medical intel says DMo's back is shot.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both of you seem to assume that I am blaming the Rockets for breaking the "spirit" of the rule. I am NOT. (These DMo threads make people so sensitive. Some argue hard to defend the Rockets. Some do to defend DMo. Relax. Some of us actually want to know the truth without any agenda!)

I still think that it is a loophole, FAVORING THE PLAYERS. DMo holding out to force the Rockets to renegotiate a new contract is clearly not intended by the rule. In fact, both the Nets and the Rockets should be pissed.

topfive and steddinotayto like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I didn't take what you posted as you blaming the Rockets at all. My comment was just to point out that if the Nets were indeed miffed that their offer was thrown in the trash then they should have planned better and put forth an initial offer that couldn't have been matched by Morey. In other words, the Nets only have themselves to blame if they are truly mad about this process and are in conversations with Rockets/Morey and the league about what went on.

Easy likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe the Nets want something in return to be quiet...we should trade them Bobby Brown instead of waiving him, he would still boost their talent at this point, and would also make James and Trevor more happy...

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Oh. Well that's different, then. In that case, I agree. :)

Easy likes this.
  15. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

So the league won't green light the $35M 'new' deal because of how it came about is quite unprecedented?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's what many of us are guessing. And some other team probably lodged the complaint to set it of. Looking at you BKN.

There is quite a wide consensus on this speculation, from a wide range of bbs members.

Zacatecas likes this.
  17. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I don't think the Nets valued DMo enough to have given a more enticing offer. If they had just given DMo something like $20M/2 yrs guaranteed I believe Morey would have declined to match. Over the summer, Brooklyn actually overpaid on offers for both Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson and forced Portland and Miami to overpay on essentially very average role players - which particularly didn't make much sense given how neither team was projected to be a contender.

They completely switched up tactics here by making the deal very match-friendly for Morey - because they didn't believe in DMo nearly as much as the other two RFAs. It's much more likely they're just trying to stir up trouble for Houston by claiming the Rockets conspired with DMo to purposefully not report for his physical on the matched offer to construct a friendlier agreement for both Houston and DMo himself.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

The C position is a worry. At the very least they need a backup who can play better D than Nene. I think Nene is diminishing returns. If they can't work a trade this month then Harrell should be getting all of Nene's minutes to fast track his development.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just speculating, but it could be that the league just wants to make sure everything is done properly, according to the CBA and from a legal aspect, so that this saga doesn't resurface later as a grievance or lawsuit.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bunch of MAYBES in your post, when the only fact is he supported it publicly.

DD