1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rise of the Fossil Fuel Industry - Discussions and Debates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by watashi315, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I've been contemplating on starting a thread on fossil fuel for a few weeks after participating in another thread on coal here. I know a lot of forum members probably work in the oil and gas industry in Houston and are interested in this topic. Now that Trump has nominated Scott Pruitt, a long time ally of the fossil fuel industry to head the EPA, I'm expecting similar announcements for Energy Secretary and other environmental/energy related agencies. With the possible repeal of the Clean Power Plant and similar environmental regulations proposed under Obama, are we going to see a rise in the fossil fuel industry? As an energy professional who works in the federal government and deals with fossil fuel regulations, this could ultimately impact my work and the work of others in the industry.

Feel free to use this thread as an on-going discussion/debate on fossil fuel policies, projects, regulations, and anything else related to this topic.

Dei and cwebbster like this.
  2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am personally hopeful for a rise of Fossil Fuel work. For me, and many others, this is how we make our livings. I have no qualms with destroying barriers that prevent work from happening. Keep in mind, groups like the Sierra Club, etc will still pose issues for permitting, etc regardless of federal legislation being struck down.

#2 cwebbster, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Dei and watashi315 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The earth is going to shake us the hell off of it, due to us polluting the entire thing and having too many people on the planet.

We are making ourselves extinct and leaving our children a massive mess they probably can't clean up.

DD

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It may cut costs from an operational standpoint in terms of periodic inspections and paperwork; but state regulatory boards and plaintiff's lawyers aren't going anywhere soon, and are exploited as much by industry competitors against each other as by environmental groups against the whole sector. Also to the extent that prosperity is shaped by pricing, that's still based on stored inventory, global production, weather, and geopolitics. Trump can only **** up one of those things.

Man likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No we aren't. simple as that, and classic example of the hyperbole that it typical of any discussion on this topic.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The only force threatening our extinction are the people saying there are too many people.

Every mouth is attached to a brain to solve problems.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If this opens up and anything goes in fossil fules . . . . .are we going to be pissed about having to pay for any health related issues that increase because of it?

Rocket River

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Renewable energy, namely solar, will be the solution for to meet cheap and growing energy demands and potentially regional surpluses, and I'll be pissed if subsidies are killed at the expense of more fossil fuel "investment". For one thing, oil majors are sitting on a mountain of cash and don't know what to do with it, and another, there are more externalities and impacts from burning more carbon beyond the social debatability of global warming and more into ocean acidification and urban quality of health and life.

Do they have to attend and finish college in order to have a better chance of solving said problems?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Oh look another genius looking to help the planet.

People don't consume resources, they create them.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My smug indifference emits less CO2 and methane.

Tragedy of the commons doesn't mesh well with our current standards of living.

FWIW, I hope I'm wrong and I like to at least try fit the boy scout prinicple.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I thought it is 99% ...

[​IMG]

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[wayofftopic]

I'll never forget a good friend of mine responding to the news that my dad had lymphoma with "well we have too many people on the planet anyway". I was speechless. He was a raging leftist, yes, but holy **** I would have never expected him to say something like that. That was about 5 years ago and I pretty much stopped speaking to him after that. Truth be told it still pisses me off thinking back on it.

[/wayofftopic]

Anyway I work in energy commodity trading so I am interested in this topic too. But I am not allowed to share anything that's worth sharing so I'll mainly just be reading.

Carry on.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

getting the price of energy down is a sure path to a better world

all of the worst state actors in the world (Iran, Russia, Venezuela, ISIS) are petro-states, totally reliant on a high price of energy

and every industry and employer consumes energy, cheaper energy means more funds available to expand and hire

for the poor, energy is a huge percentage of their living expenses, and cheaper energy gives them more disposable income

What's the downside? A few degrees warmer a hundred years from now? I don't believe that, but even if it was true, the benefit far outweighs the cost.

Faceless unelected bureaucrats at the EPA have no hesitation adding billions in energy costs to Americans. They are a menace. It's insidious because what they do is hard to see.

#13 Commodore, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  14. watashi315

watashi315 Member

You can still participate in the discussion without revealing your employer or divulging insider secrets. Most of the discussions will be kept at a high level and mostly from publicly available information.

15. watashi315

watashi315 Member

However, by appointing Republicans and pro-fossil fuel people to head agencies like Dept. of Transportation, EPA, Dept. of Energy and FERC, Trump can help to expedite and lessen the scrutiny in the evaluation process for pipeline construction. The review and evaluation process for pipelines is as much an art as it is a science. He can and will likely take federal subsidies away from renewable program and research in favor of helping out the coal, gas, and oil industries.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Renewable is the future, if the technology does not come from the US, it will come from Germany, China, Japan, etc. Fossil fuel is finite and will be used up sooner or later.

Man likes this.
  17. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Renewable is the future but there are variables that could impede its adoption in this country. Recent EIA annual data (2015) has shown that renewable has been growing in the U.S. electric generation portfolio, with hydro being the largest (46%) and wind being second (35%). The problem with hydro and wind is that they are unreliable and the amount of electricity generated by wind and hydro can vary year by year due to weather and climate changes. Natural gas is currently the only source of fuel that is 1). low cost 2). low emission and 3). readily available whenever you need it. The gas-electric "marriage" will be here for years to come.

Furthermore there are usually three types of policies aimed to increase renewable: financial incentives in the form of tax credits which is sponsored by the federal government, state renewable portfolio targets, and renewable energy certificate/credits (RECs). All three policies can be greatly altered or abolished by political appointees.

18. Accord99

Accord99 Member

Unlikely, Germany has already hit the wall in terms of renewable installation and wasted much of its resources on solar that's almost useless at Germany's latitude; China's just adding more of everything because it'll need more energy in the future though solar and wind have lousy capacity factors in China and Japan, after a growth spurt due to Fukushima has scaled back because it's way too expensive.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Umm, do you think technology is static? What if there are major break through in battery technology? This alone could make renewable energy worth while (imagine if you can store months or a year worth of solar energy in a battery which can be used to power you home, office, etc)

20. Accord99

Accord99 Member

It's not static, but it unlikely to jump from the batteries of today that may economically store 1 days worth of electricity to one that can store a summer surplus. Especially for batteries which have existed for more than a hundred years and where greater storage capacity is valuable and would be useful for so many application.