1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Coon lowers the boom on JB and any Utah Offers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

At the very end of the day though, you have to play by the rules. And right now, D-Mo is questioning the very rules he tried to take advantage of in the first place. The Rockets matched his deal fair-and-square.....he really only has two options: A) Quit b****ing, play hard, and earn the shitload of money you're about to make, or B) Pout, b****, and moan about being treated unfairly all the way to the unemployment line. Right now, he's trying to weasel his way into a non-existent third option by trying to strong-arm the organization.

The reason why we don't agree with D-Mo is because he literally had ALL SUMMER to negotiate the best contract he could find. He signs an incredibly team-friendly deal from Brooklyn, knowing full-well that the incentives that were in there did not have to be matched by the Rockets. He knew EVERYTHING about this up front, and yet he's trying to act like the Rockets are the ones taking advantage of him. It's a shitty thing to do, and a bad look for both him and his dumbass agent.

2. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

That's what I said - he can not, he already tried his best.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is holding out unless we match the incentive terms the Nets offerred. If Morey doesn't offer that, he is not coming. Doubt Nets are interested in doing a sign and trade if we match the incentive terms exactly the way they offerred because they know DMO is not going to report. I am sure Morey has inquired them about the possibility of SnT and they said no. This comes down to if Morey doesn't want offer him those incentive terms and since he doesn't want to play here, just let him walk and be over with it. No more drama. Nothing good can come out b/c this seems going nowhere.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If I were D-mo, I would make sure I am fully aware of what type of offer I am taking to my other employer. Let's pretend that we were restricted free agents in the real world where our employer challenges us to find the best offer. In this case, Dmo finally found what he considered the best offer; however, either he or his agent appeared to not be fully aware of the CBA. The Rockets are playing by the rules and I doubt they are trying to screw Dmo. I feel that Dmo should have made himself aware of the rules or perhaps BJ should be a bit more informed to help his clients out. I know that even though I rely on professional help sometimes, I try to make myself as knowledgeable as possible in regards to what I am dealing with. If I was aware of the rule, I definitely would have made sure that I was okay with the Rockets not matching the bonus part of the contract in case it worked out that way. This is a business and ultimately the Rockets have placed a value on Dmo just as Dmo has done for himself. I don't think it's bad faith for the Rockets not to fully honor the incentives portion of the contract. They are not required to make Dmo aware of the rules during negotiations, that's on Dmo and his dumb agent.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I doubt it. It's looking more and more like BJ wasn't aware of that or at least didn't tell DMO.

MorningZippo likes this.
  6. Nivos

Nivos Member

In my line of work I'm dealing with milioners and bilioners all the time. It's the Morey and BJ types that think it's some kind of a game and trying to complicate stuff.
    When I sign a contract I make sure it's as simple as can be, so I don't even need a lawyer to read it. I have one question- How much goes to my pocket? Don't care about the rest.
    I'm sure D-mo asked that same question and I'm sure his lawyer ****ed up or was dishonest.
    But as to his understanding (from what I'm assuming off course) - he signed a contract for potential of 37 mil. Now they say, hey but in the small letters it's actually only 31. So off course I'll feel cheated. And I won't swallow my pride and shut up about it.
    By the end of the day the best outcome will be if D-mo fire the agent for malpractice and the rockets owning up and add the incentives like doing him a favour and come out strong on both ends.

Easy likes this.
  7. YallMean

YallMean Member

The minute I saw those terms when HP of DD brought them up in the other thread, I knew BJ screwed it up. Frankly, the Nets front office did a job on those fools as well by not warning them that the Rockets didn't have to match the bonuses. It would be nice of us matching those terms for DMO, but Morey does not value him that much and the Nets don't seem to be all interested as well. In the end, BJ and DMO are over-estimating the market.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Look, we understand your point of how the Rockets should "do the right thing" but what you are dismissing is that DMo and his agent placed themselves in this position by signing a bad contract in the first place. The Rockets are not screwing him, he screwed himself.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's you bro; Dmo should have asked the same question. It seems that his idiot agent did not do his due diligence. I definitely think it sucks, but in no way are the Rockets cheating him. BJ is the one that dropped the ball here.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

This is different. This is like not knowing the "contract law" when they signed that offer sheet. Morey could have matched it, but he didn't and he is perfectly allowed to that per CBA rules. The Nets could have warned them too, and they didn't. So BJ is an idiot, more so with that Plato quote.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Firstly, He is not being screwed out of the extra 6mil, those were INCENTIVES that he was very unlikely to reach which means he would have not seen that money anyway. I haven't read everything on the subject in the last 24 hours, so if any of those were fairly likely to happen he might be due a little more, but in any case those are not guaranteed so people shouldn't be acting like he was definitely going to get all of it.

Second, the Rockets are not in the wrong for not matching the incentives, the CBA rules are the same for all, and any agent worth anything knows how business is done in the NBA. This the same way any team that is matching a offer sheet does it(especially since this is not a star player in question, like it or not but the NBA is a star driven league), and if the agent did not understand and inform his client of the terms then he is the one at fault when things don't work out the way they expected.

Period.

Jatman20 likes this.
  12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

My understanding is the Nets reported giving a physical to D-Mo and said they are "comfortable"
    with his condition....enough to present an offer sheet. As part of my conspiracy theory I
    questioned the Nets intent. Rockets know D-MO's medical history better than anyone.
    D-Mo refusing a physical with Roxx doesn't rid my suspensions. Maybe D-Mo is afraid the
    Rockets expose the Nets-D-Mo collusion or having the Rockets label him unfit "unjustly".

*Sidenote: by collusion I don't really mean collusion. I believe the Rockets gave permission
    to Armstrong/Wasserman Group to seek out a deal (or don't need to give permission as RFA).
    But a "suspect" physical. In the Coon piece I believe the Rockets were entitled to any and
    all medical records or tests. D-Mo and his agent are refusing for reasons of their own.

#152 Jatman20, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Armstrong/Wasserman Group should have instructed D-Mo of the possibilities upon
    signing the Nets offer sheet. They are clearly the goats here. Many of the incentives
    probably require D-Mo to get starter minutes. Which he would have received with the
    Nets.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

And other players will be watching and taking notice. If I were BJ, I would immediately fire BJ and hire - Fegan, or another agent.

DD

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I would fire myself if I were BJ too. :)

Jayzers_100 and Jatman20 like this.
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

People shdn't take me too seriously. I like to mess with those who are always so serious.

Someone wrote me that Ryno gets $20 million. Why trade for a guy that pushes him to
    the second team when D-Mo is right there? Why pay D-Mo $4 mil + $2 mil (bonus) if
    the incentives call for Capela or Ryno to be pushed to 2nd team.....lose current minutes?
    Disrupt chemistry for a guy fighting to meet those incentive goals? Will just the bonus
    of $2 mil added if he plays in 45 games of the final approx 60 games remaining be sufficient?

#156 Jatman20, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

OT: I have read some of your posts. Why don't you use the full sentence length available to post instead of cutting your sentences half way through? That way you would take up less space and probably easier to read.

18. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I am exceedingly confident that the "milioners" and "bilioners" that you deal with did not get to where they are by gifting others 6 million dollars due to them misunderstanding the contract they signed.

19. Nivos

Nivos Member

I'm not dismissive of D-mo and especially BJ part of the whole fiasco.
    I was calling for D-mo to fire his agent after not reporting to training camp, and even more after the season started.
    This was just horrible understanding of the situation.
    He could've and should've take the original deal after not being able to find a better one. Thinking about team success, gel with the guys and be a big part of a winning team. Then get the big bucks next year.
    Terrence Jones bet on himself with a less better position (well he didn't really have much choice) and I'm sure he'll get the big bucks next year.
    What happened since then is what got to this mess, treating it like it's some kind of a chess game between the agent and Morey. I knew both D-mo and the team will get hurt going that way.
    At this point the reputation of the agent is destroyed, D-mo can still fix his rep if he fires the agent and give all he has for the team and the team should be the bigger part of the deal and give him what he thought he signed on with Brooklin not knowing he will get screwed by the agent and the fine details of contract complications.
    It can still be fixed but it will take a lot of good will and trust between D-mo and the team, which I don't know how much of it is left by now

Rashmon likes this.
  20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Are you a millennial?