1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sources: Utah offering more money to Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 6, 2016.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't it the opposite? If you don't give Morey medical information, he will use the lack of it against you in the future?

That was the case with Carl Landry.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Dunno about that. Would have done a better job than most of you here that expected him to sign the QO or the $7 million guarantee deal.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Not only could it be more expensive for Houston but a rival team like Utah could potentially offer DMO
    a poison pill contract (i.e. Mavs and Chandler Parsons scenario) forcing the rockets to let him walk for nothing.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

because $7M guaranteed is less than $5M guaranteed? because signing the QO would have allowed him to make at least twice as much in years 2, 3, and 4 versus the paltry $7.75 per he's locked into now at best? are you currently drunk?

5. basketballholic

No. You are apparently.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

replying to your own post? inebriated indeed..

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This could also signal that Favors injury is serious and Utah need to add front court depth in the interim.

Another good reason to not let him walk

jevjnd and Vivi like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yup, i also kinda remember someone saying that Favors injury mught be worse than they thought at first...maybe Zach Lowe said this?

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It does not if BJ says to do this or not or whatever
    Ultimately .. . the blame is all on DMO

Rocket River

jevjnd likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A VERY HARD LINE

I would not even wave the physical .. . Unless I'm mistake he cannot do anything until then

Rocket River

AroundTheWorld and jevjnd like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

I'm of the opinion that BJ Armstrong can't be as stupid as the situation is making him appear. He just can't. I'm waiting for the trump card they are holding. Because he just didn't drop the ball as bad as it appears. There has to be more to the story.

However....

Then again he's going against a certified genius in Morey, and BJ Armstrong may have outwitted himself into Moreys Deathstar tractor beam.

Situation doesn't make sense.

Oh and you can't blame Morey for being a hard ass. Just look at how Parson played him like a fiddle, when Morey gave him his trust.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW! If The Rockets want to be petty. . . . they could Make him a RFA at 11:59 on March 1st
    Then anyone that makes him an offer on March 2nd would not have him on their Playoff Roster
    Unless I'm mistaken

Rocket River

OmegaSupreme and c1utchfan925 like this.
  13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Good the Rockets have it within their power to do so then if they are so inclined. Dmo and his agent should have found a better offer out there and signed that instead of getting this contract, saying all the right things (Dmo quoted for saying he would play for either the Nets OR the Rockets) but then back out of his contract. This team would be more improved with a healthy Dmo in the rotation but the REAL VICTIM here is Bobby Brown. I mean how will he feel being in limbo? Will he still be loyal to the Rockets? Only time will tell.. ;)

If the Rockets don't void his contract so that he's back to being a restricted free agent then Utah shouldn't be able to give him an offer right? By doing so (or not doing so) this does put the Rockets in a bind because they'll be limited on how much their actual cap is in regards to trades this year (we all know we're getting someone new, just a matter of time..). I doubt the Rockets will do that just so their more flexible for incoming trades.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Don't let the j*zz have him. Make them suffer the loss of Favors

jevjnd and DonKnock like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's great lol ; this is a nonissue . In fact it almost works against Dmo . If the goal was to leave the rockets and get a higher offer from another team ; maybe a holdout works if Morey doesn't think there will be another higher offer out there .

But if the goal is to leave and become an RFA again , letting DM know there was a higher offer is like telling him to keep Dmo on the current contract now

Something doesn't add up or BJ is just a huge moron

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Sorry for the double post . Let me explain further . If Morey knows a team values DMO more than his current contract then Morey has all of the incentive to hold on to him and trade him to Utah for something .

Especially since from everything Dmo has shown so far he doesn't wanna play here . Besides his empty words that is

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Or Morey can waive the physical and poof, DMo is a Rocket. Then fine dat ass until he shows for practice

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The only thing that makes sense to me now, is that DMo knows he can't pass the physical.

So what they are trying to do is to hold out past the deadline, get Morey to waive the physical in order to start fining him, and once the physical is waived "miraculously end his holdout".

Richie_Rich and vince like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

But if he can't pass our physical he still gets to sign with the NEts and gets 5 million guaranteed. Also there is a chance the nets medical staff can keep him healthy and he can earn his 9 mil or whatever for the first year

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with waiving and fining in general but there are downsides for the team . I'm fairly sure there is a max amount a team can fine a player ; and any large fine will probably have to be dealt with by the players union . That's more trouble than it's worth.

Plus let's assume the scenario that he isn't healthy and the amount we can fine him is less than 5 mil up to January when we would cut him . We would lose money that way .