1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Utah offering more money to Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 6, 2016.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So why didn't he sign the jazz offer sheet then?

Either this is BS or DMO really is represented by the worst agent in the history of pro sports.

If I was a GM I wouldn't do business with BJ at all anymore.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Rick Smith, Brock.....DMO?! Say it ain't so!

mikol13 likes this.
  3. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Member

Would love to hear an explanation as to how this is not tampering. How can Utah offer anything AFTER he signed with the Nets?

DudeWah likes this.
  4. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think this is how the process is supposed to work...

To BJ (who may understand being an agent about as well as I do):

See, you get an offer sheet and the Rockets match it. Well then, you're not allowed to go to a different team after that.

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'm confused as to why this matters?

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I was wondering if this had anything to do with this whole "he's not gonna report, we have our rights" bs. Even the worst sports agent knows the rules by which he has to play. All that rhetoric seemed playground bravado.

Unless the j*zz are playing mind games, they should have made their offer in a more timely fashion. This isn't how RFA works. If the j*zz want DMo, let them wait for the summer and cough up their 20-somethingth first round pick....AT THE MONEY the Nets were going to pay.

BJ Armstrong = major league clown.

craguin likes this.
  7. count_dough-ku

Exactly. If Utah has a better offer, then you use the Nets offer as leverage. But you do that BEFORE signing the Nets deal. After that, Utah is out of the picture, and your client is either playing for Brooklyn or Houston.

13 in 33 likes this.
  8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Can we trade the rights to DMO to Utah and then they can renegotiate?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is 100% bad agenting, should have never signed the Nets offer if a bigger one was coming.

I expect the Rox to waive the physical and start fining him.

DD

slothy420 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

ARTICLE 35E OF THE NBA CONSTITUTION STATES THAT IT’S A VIOLATION OF THE LEAGUE’S ANTI-TAMPERING RULE FOR ANY PERSON AFFILIATED WITH AN NBA TEAM TO DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY (I) ENTICE, INDUCE, OR PERSUADE, OR ATTEMPT TO ENTICE, INDUCE OR PERSUADE, ANY PLAYER, COACH, GM OR OTHER PERSON UNDER CONTRACT TO ANY OTHER NBA TEAM TO ENTER INTO NEGOTIATIONS FOR OR RELATING TO THAT PERSON’S SERVICES OR TO NEGOTIATE OR CONTRACT FOR SUCH SERVICES, OR (II) OTHERWISE INTERFERE WITH THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THAT EMPLOYEE AND THE OTHER NBA TEAM.”

11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I wish their was a commissioner or someone to enforce these rules...Oh, wait.

Utah better lose a draft pick.

slothy420, cdrive and DonKnock like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like BJ & D-Mo are two idiots in pod but we already knew that.

You don't get to sign an offer sheet, it gets matched and then "No, well I don't want that offer sheet, we want this higher offer sheet."

BJ: "We have our rights!"

Morey: Yeah, you have the right to go **** yourself.

I'm not releasing you back into (R)FA.

#52 J.R., Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

But i don't understand, why all this should matter if we already matched an offer sheet he signed?

14. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I believe what CyberX is saying, but i would think it would be hard to prove to the commish.

BJ and DMO could just say he doesn't want to play for the Rockets

15. kevC

kevC Member

This might be the most blatant example of tampering I've seen in the NBA.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

17. Nivos

Nivos Member

I am not entertained

18. FTW Rockets FTW

Yeah I hope some tampers with BJ Armstrong too and chokeslams the **** outta this prick

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is incompetence personified

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

I think technically Dmo is not under contract with the Rockets yet. The Rockets matched the Nets offer sheet, which makes him under contract with the Houston Rockets PENDING a physical. Thus, he's in this weird gray area where the Rockets have a contractual right for Dmo to take the physical (within the next two days) but he is not technically subject to the contract because one of the conditions has yet to be fulfilled. Once Dmo has refused to report for 48 hours he will be in breach, but since this is such an unusual situation I'd be shocked if the CBA spells out clear cut remedies for breach of obligation to report for physical pending contract, which would allow the Rockets to be creative in their own interpretation. I'm guessing they take a position that doesn't waive the physical, but doesn't pay Dmo either.

As for Utah, I don't know about CBA, but per US contract law the Rockets would have a claim of intentional interference with contractual right, if Utah did indeed offer more money after the Nets tendered their offer sheet.