1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Brewer is leaving the rotation

There isn't a logjam at PF

Dekker moves to Backup SF, and DMo takes his place at PF and some C. MDA is already on record saying Dekker is filling in at PF for DMo, and will play SF primarily. Both Dekker and DMo get some small ball minutes, too. Harrell and Nene never play in the same game anyhow, so Harrell is actually the backup C...but he and Capela or Capela and Nene won't combine for 48 minutes and haven't yet.

There is no logjam at PF, when you realize MDA is grooming Dekker to take all of Brewer's minutes ... and Harrell/'Nene get alternating DNP-CDs, and we are going to play heavy small ball.

Rockets2K, Deuce, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

But it is something that happened a long time ago. How has Dmo won games for us? Please post these moments for us dude.

3. Tha_Dude

Please post the games that Dmo won for us.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If indeed this contract is constructed as being reported, without hidden details, this is an extremely easy match. In fact, it's a better contract than one could have dreamed of. Basically 1 year, and 3 team options. I honestly have trouble believing it's this simple. It's like Morey drew up this contract himself.

If he is damaged beyond repair, cut him loose. But if he returns to form, he is a massive bargain. Even if it's a one year fluke, he will have to repeat it next year or we could cut him loose again.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was instrumental in the only playoff game won last season. I mean, he's not a James Harden type player, but he's more than a solid player who is an absolute steal at 9 mil a year given the current market.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

was

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yes, need front court depth, this deal isn't that much

8. Tha_Dude

Well man, I hope you're right on this. Because I think we're going to match the offer.

Time to smoke another J.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is a cheap deal for a 7 fter even with health concerns. If needed, we can arguably find a trade situation in the long run.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes and he was injury prone or rarely available the other 2 or 3 playoffs.

You can understand both the pro and contra side. What I do not understand is why the pro side is being afraid, you got 80% guys going for him.

It seems almost that people are begging Morey, Les and the FO to bring him back, which a signed petition would do more than this.

He has been solid but as you said not star quality good which otherwise warranted such behavior.

He is going against Rockets players that have been either undrafted or written off by other teams.

Chuck Hayes - undrafted, overlooked by other teams, blue collar worker that went on to make crucial D plays in the playoffs, Defensive Captain of this team, shortest C in the league for years

Luifa Scola - almost written off by the Spurs, given to us, came in as a 27 year old rookie and straight out balled.

Landry - 2nd round - Came in as a super substitute and straight out balled for years, has a journey man career.

Those were legends that came out of nowhere.

Dmo on the other hand was expected to do great things, and he was just an average role player.

#150 daywalker02, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, because then the forum will have more DMo threads, the forum deserves its next replacement and is overdue, let's see recently Lin, DMo, and now... Wiltjer! ! ! Yay?!

I hope if the Rockets do match. . . He plays great though and is a SUPERSTAR! If not he's set and can feed his Family

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

What a stupid agent! D-mo should sign and fire the hell out of his agent who cost him so much.
    What the hell? This could have been a lock like 3 month ago and be in a better position in the end of the season.
    Now the team is clicking and D-mo will just sit there and wait for someone to get injured.
    So idiotic

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Maybe it's a cash grab by DMo. I don't know I'm not DMo. However it's such a low risk signing on a guy that was a pretty solid 7 footer in 2014 at the age of 24 that you can't pass it up.

14. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

The agent is bad, but not stupid. He made sure there's a 5 million signing bonus, so even if Rockets cut DMo at Januray 10th the agent gets his money. It's around 5% last time I checked, so $250.000 minimum. Quarter of a million for shitty ass job BJ Armstrong did, makes me want to be a sports agent myself. Keep gettin dem checks

Nivos likes this.
  15. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

No brainer match. Unless Morey has other plans, this is a great deal and the downside is limited.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes because they could hardly have dreamed up a more team-friendly contract. This is the contract of a guy that doesn't believe in his earning power and that gives me pause but it has so many opt-outs for the team we might as well see if he can still play. If he can, great. If he's a bust, we let him walk. But if he's any good at all he just locked himself up at 9 million a year for his prime years when 7 footers with game are getting twice that and the cap's going up again next year. Ridiculously major fail for BJ. If he still has clients tomorrow, they have only themselves to blame. If D-Mo has any game at all he could have done better by taking the 4.4 this year or the 7-8 they left on the table until they lost the option to trade him and told him to go find an offer and bring it to them. That he sat out all that time to get THIS(?!?!) contract should be an object lesson to all NBA players in how NOT to handle RFA.

He didn't get ANYTHING he wasn't offered by Houston except more team opt-outs.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Yes!!

One major reason- it moves Dekker down to the 3 spot and puts Brewer on the end of the bench.

2nd group would be sick
    Nene/Trez
    Dmo
    Dekker
    Gordon

That's a helluva group!

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Maybe he signed it to get free?!

He was offered a one year deal. He didn't want it. He wanted multiple years. He didn't get them. He gave all the power to The Rockets, if they choose to match, and not just for one year but for four.

Only you could dream up such a ridiculous scenario.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep. That's the 9-Man rotation that MDA is known for. I am confident that's the lineup ... notice Nene and Trez never play in the same game together, so they've been switching games. He might use Brewer on some matches, but this is the 9.

bbs seems so worried about a PF Logjam ... I don't see it at all. It's like a bbs narrative from an anti-DMo crowd to question the matching based upon some type of chemistry issues, when it actually will PUT BREWER ON THE BENCH!!!

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I wouldn't look at a 13-7 record as an indication that everything's fine and dandy, and that we have no use for DMo.

This team could easily be at .500 if the ball bounces a little differently on just a handful of occasions (Dallas, SA, GS games come to mind).

If the terms of the contract are as stated (only $5M initially guaranteed, with a team option every year), then it makes very little sense not to kick the tires.