1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump already saving American jobs - Carrier to keep jobs in the US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Dei

Dei Member

The matter was whether or not the present situation was important. Like you said, if the situation that other companies threatening to leave would entail getting the same response would dictate whether or not the president-elect is really picking winners or losers but like I said, that situation hasn't happened yet.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a great point and considering we don't know the details I'm hesitant to blast or praise this deal. If Trump did rely upon the stick of government contracts without too much carrot of massive subsidies and tax breaks I will give Trump credit but we don't really know what was involved.

Hakeemtheking is right though that in politics perception is almost always more important than the reality and most people don't care how the sausage is made as long as it looks and taste good.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with the govt helping certain industries compete through tax breaks or deregulations that don't hurt consumers nor citizens.

My problem with this is that one company got a deal and the details are not being shared.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not sure if this has been posted. The Young Turks on the pluses and minuses of the deal and how wimpy Obama would never get such a deal. Sorry contented mainstream Dems.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not what i said. if other companies regardless of whether they threaten to leave or not are not getting the same treatment then its not a free market.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White House Trolls Trump on Carrier Jobs Deal

Obama spokesman: Do it ‘804 more times’

The White House first applauded Donald Trump’s deal to keep around 1,000 manufacturing jobs in Indiana, then challenged him to do it 800 more times to match President Barack Obama’s “high standard.”

Trump’s team announced he and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, Indiana’s governor, will appear in Indiana Thursday to formally announce Carrier will keep those jobs at an air conditioning plant rather than move them to Mexico. His aides are eager to make sure the president-elect and Pence get credit for cutting the deal.

At the White House on Wednesday, Press Secretary Josh Earnest said “this is good news and, obviously, we’d welcome that good news.”

Then the trolling began.

“I know that the president-elect has indicated that he deserves credit … for that announcement, and I guess what I would observe is that if he is successful in doing that 804 more times, then he will meet the record of manufacturing jobs that were created in the United States while President Obama was in office,” Earnest said.

“There were 805,000 manufacturing jobs that weren’t just protected or saved, but actually created while President Obama was in office,” he said.

Earnest said his boss “has set a high standard,” jabbing at Trump by saying he can only match the sitting president if he creates manufacturing jobs rather than merely keeping them inside the United States.

“If we go to protecting jobs, there are more than a million jobs in the industrial Midwest that were saved when President Obama made the decision to rescue the American auto industry,” Earnest said, “and the long-term benefits of that fateful decision that was not initially popular has yielded a substantial benefit for the entire country, but certainly for the industrial Midwest.”

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Obama is so jealous. Now he's trying to snipe. just LOL

8. No Worries

^^

Donald Trump is so clueless. Conquering the world, one post-factual tweet at at time. LOL

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's 1k jobs. Perspective. But it's not good, even for 1k job, if the deal is struck because of some favoritism or promise of government contracts to one company.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Happens all the time. Governments, state and local, promote their jurisdictions to companies and even other governments. I would find it hard to believe that the city of Houston or State of Texas have not done something similar along the line of offering tax incentives to companies.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For a single company - state and local level yes. Federal? I'm not aware of many, or even a few. I'm also wondering if offering government contracts to a single company for something in return, if that's the case here, (not tax incentive) is even legal? Sure doesn't seem to be a good idea. Fester an atmosphere of, hey they got something, what about us and down the hole we go.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It also seems like it would create a situation where every company would threaten to move it's production to another country in order to get some taxpayer funded govt. contracts.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If it comes out that indeed some gov contracts were promised, I know as a business person, I would be tempted to try. Business smart right :)

14. dmoneybangbang

Perception has been Trump's biggest strength.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

So... set a precedent that threatening to move jobs overseas will get you tax credits and call it a victory.

4 years of this kind of stuff, eh?

No Worries likes this.
  16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

17. No Worries

1000 manufacture jobs is 0.2% of the total manufacture jobs ... in Indiana.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, what's the status of the other 400 or so workers?

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So Carrier gets $7miilion Dollars in Tax Breaks over 10 years. Is that deal available for their competitors? What happened to the Republican mantra of "letting the market pick the winners?". Indiana tax payers bailing out a company. Sounds familiar?

20. dmoneybangbang

Not a hard task to do when 8 years ago we undergoing on of the worst financial crisis of the modern era.