1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

As long as Wisconsin wins this week against an unranked opponent then the Big 10 will get their champion into the playoffs. Wisconsin should be able to jump 2 spots to #4 if they beat Oh St/Michigan even though they had already lost to both Michigan and Ohio St earlier this year.

I think OU makes the playoffs if:
    1) They beat #10 Ok St next week
    2) Ohio St defeats Michigan, Wisconsin
    3) Clemson loses to South Carolina or ACC Atlantic division winner
    4) Washington defeats Colorado

That would look like"
    1) Alabama
    2) Ohio St
    3) Washington
    4) Oklahoma
    5) Michigan
    6) Penn State
    7) Clemson

#842 Brando2101, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. Brando2101

This is going to be ugly. This is what we know in my opinion

1) Alabama is in the playoffs with a win or loss vs Florida St
    2) Clemson is in the playoffs with a win vs Virginia Tech
    3) Washington is in with a win vs Colorado

What is going to happen with the big 10? Penn St beat Ohio St and is going to the big 10 conference championship. If Penn St wins next week against Wisconsin then they'll finish with the same number of wins as Ohio St but they'll have 2 loses instead of 1. They did beat Ohio St but they lost to Michigan. It would seem like they should go ahead of Ohio St but that would mean Ohio St sits at #2 in the rankings and drops to #5 without another loss? You could say that's the price you pay for not winning your conference. Here is a summary of where things will land:

Ohio St 10-1 (W-Michigan, L-Penn ST)
    Michigan 10-1 (W-Penn St, L-Ohio St)
    Big 10 Champion: Penn St 11-2 (W-Ohio St, L-Michigan) or Wisconsin 11-2 (L-Ohio St, L-Michigan)

This could be the 1st big controversy that pushes toward an 8 team playoff. Assuming the favorites win next week, you would be looking at:
    1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) Washington
    4) Penn St
    5) Ohio St
    6) OU
    7) Michigan
    8) Louisville

I don't see a way that OU can make it. Even with a win against a #11ish Ok St. They can pass Michigan but won't pass Ohio St or the Big 10 winner. They won't pass the PAC 12 winner since they'll both be ranked ahead of OU. They won't pass Alabama even if Alabama loses. They could pass Clemson if the latter loses and finish #5.

#843 Brando2101, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Brando2101

So if Alabama wins next week, every other of the 13 SEC teams will have at least 4 losses. That's pretty crazy. I think the CFP rankings will match the AP this week for 1-8.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Think I'm okay with Ohio State in there as they're probably one of the best four teams but something about the Big Ten champion being left out.

[​IMG]

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Wow, I didn't expect Houston to be still in.

Still a quality loss for Oklahoma.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think that last spot is pretty much down to Washington, Penn St., and Wisconsin. Washington likely gets in though if they beat Colorado.

8. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I still think Michigan should get in before Penn State or Wisconsin. But I know it won't happen. You can make a strong argument for Michigan above Washington as well.

9. ItsMyFault

You can. I think the only realistic chance for Michigan though is if Clemson and Washington both lose. You'd likely see them in if those two things were to happen.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If Michigan and OSU get in over the Big 10 champion, then what's the point of conferences anyway?

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup. Basically shows that it is one giant pageant show.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Exactly. It would be 3 Big Ten teams + Alabama. Winner of Penn State / Wisconsin leapfrogs Michigan.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oklahoma State at 10. They suck. Is Colorado actually good? Haven't seen them play in about 5 years.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't think anyone knows really. They beat both Utah and Washington State who were ranked at the time (both #22) but the only other ranked team they played was Michigan and they got destroyed.

15. ItsMyFault

Honestly that game was close until Michigan pulled away late in the 3rd Q. The score isn't really indicative of how well Colorado played. They probably just got out-talented in the end on the road. It was a great game before Michigan pulled away.

Their biggest weakness seems to be lack of scoring. That might be what will hurt them against a team like Washington.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Our secondary is tremendous, one of the best in the country, the defense as a whole is very good.

The biggest weakness is special teams. They haven't even been attempting 25+ yard field goals in the altitude in Boulder for weeks because they have no kicker. Punter is equally as bad, another reason they lost @ Michigan. Also give up big returns to opponents.

They didn't get destroyed at Michigan, They were WINNING late in the game until their quarterback was knocked out.

They also have a win @ Stanford and a tight loss @ USC

17. Nook

Nook Member

You keep posting this same utter bullshit about attendance even though it has been proven wrong over and over and over.

The University of Houston averaged 39,500 in attendance on campus this year.... their single off campus game at Reliant drew over 70,000.

If you just don't like the University of Houston or their fans, so be it.... but stop spouting off BS when you know it is false.

If you want to make sideway jabs about "no one would notice"..... the real question is why does UT have the same number of titles at Georgia Tech in the last 45 years (1) when UT has the richest booster contributions in the nation, exceptional facilities, is in an exceptional recruiting location and is largely considered a top 5 potential football hot bed. It is hard to feel bad for a fan base that has so many institutional advantages and still under achieves.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

you obviously haven't been to any of the UH games in the last 2 years or if you have are pretty blind

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I haven't actually met anyone who has been to a UH game, but I did see video of a nasty brawl involving students and security so I guess it's possible.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I guess you're referring to the game last year when security tackled fans rushing into the field