1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

^ Great post Brando

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Man, I'm old old school, but I wouldn't get into any of those schools with 610/Math and 480/Reading and 29 ACT. I'm deaf and dumb. I thought I would have been good enough for Vandy or Texas A&M, but they'd look at me as r****ded. Though I think I could outsmart admissions and cheat/lie my way in.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think it's hilarious the highest little 12 team is a two-loss OU at #14.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU would NOT stay ahead of Washington should everyone win out. Again, as demonstrated by the committee in previous years, the conference championship game is factored in. There is even a quote out there stating it was weighted around 1/5th.

This early into the rankings the committee really cares about two important things - who you have beaten (and where you beat them) and how you actually look on the field.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like how 3 teams they let go are ahead of their 2nd best. But hey, whatever gives Texas the easiest path possible.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Everyone going apoplectic right now needs to calm down. Like Ziggy said, this early in the process all they care about is how you look on the field and who you've played. Upcoming schedule for most of these teams will be the true determining factor. However, one thing is for sure.....they don't respect the Big XII at all. And also, they love them some SEC and B1G.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Was hoping for a Briles, Herman, Sumlin, Levine showdown, but the Committee doesn't seem to give a rats ass about it.

#807 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

LOL at everyone going crazy at A&M being up there. I'm enjoying the SEC-hate nationally, and the combo SEC/A&M hate from all of you Big XII/UH fans. Right now, A&M has a road win against a Top 10 CFP team and the loss was to one of the most dominant college teams ever on the road, in which they had the lead in the 2nd half. No way you can put Washington ahead of them right now having beaten absolutely nobody.

That said, here are some things that are going to happen:

1) Auburn plays Alabama. Either Alabama wins (which likely knocks our top 10 win out of the top 10) or Auburn wins (which makes our one loss not as "good" of a loss). How big of an effect this has, who knows.

2) Michigan plays Ohio State - If Michigan wins, the outcome is pretty clear (OSU is out of it). However, if Ohio State wins, they could win the Big Ten and Michigan could be fighting with A&M for status as the best 1-loss team.

I think the important thing to take from yesterday is that Louisville needs a lot of help (as it should be with back to back ugly wins over non-quality opponents and no one left that is decent to play).

If Washington wins out, I suspect they will be #4. But if they lose, then the Pac Ten is going to be left out in the cold, and you are going to see the #4 team come out of the SEC/Big Ten/ACC as a 1-Loss non-champion. A 1-loss Washington conf champ could get in over 1-loss Louisville, but I think a 1 loss A&M or Mich would get in over them in that instance. A&M still has a lot of hard work to do though, and staying at 1 loss is not going to be easy.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Why is Clemson is ranked above Michigan while Louisville is penalized so strongly?

Clemson's signature wins were all by 7 or less (Auburn, FSU, Louisville) and even the victories over NCST and Troy were only by 6.

Meanwhile, Louisville creamed NCST and FSU

Similarly, Michigan has been sleepwalking through their schedule with signature wins over Penn St, Wisconsin and the Buffs.

I'd rerank: Bammer - Michigan - Clemson - A&M - Louisville - UW - Ohio St
    -------------------

I think it's fair to say that the CFP will be infinitely more enjoyable to watch with both of the most dominant Heisman candidates included (Lamar Jackson and Jabrill Peppers).

#809 shastarocket, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Another little 12 post by 3PO. Shocking, but it really never gets old. Always a big belly laugh.

[​IMG]

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think that's true at all. It shows they don't respect the Pac 12 which is why an undefeated team isn't in the top 4. The best Big 12 team has two losses which is why they are where they are. The only 2 loss teams above OU are from the SEC and Big 10 which is line which is in line with the committee's conference preferences for the top 4. If OU was undefeated then they would be #2-3 in the country.

It's very clear that the committee still does not respect Baylor. Baylor's SOS is 97th in the country. OU is 22nd and Texas is #20.

Here are 2017 Non Conference Games:

Texas
    09/02 -
    Maryland
    09/09 - San Jose State
    09/16 - at USC

Baylor

09/02 - Liberty
    09/09 -
    UTSA
    09/16 - at Duke

OU
    09/02 -
    UTEP
    09/09 - at Ohio State
    09/16 - Tulane

TCU
    09/02 - Jackson State
    09/09 - at
    Arkansas
    09/16 - SMU

Texas Tech

09/02 - Eastern Washington
    09/16 -
    Arizona State
    09/23 - at Houston

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Houston's non conference schedule looks weenie for the next 10 years. We need to get some juggernauts in there unless Texas Tech can get it together. We have 2018 lit up, but that's about it after getting some big hogs the last the 10 years. I'm not a fan of playing Tech either because they are such a wild offense that anything can happen. I'd much rather play the more conservative teams.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What else would you expect from Baylor? Honestly wish 3PO's little 12 (LOL) could just trade them for Houston and cash.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No good P5 program is going to schedule UH. Certainly not to a fair deal.

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

A&M loses right on cue. Committee knew exactly what they were doing by putting them there.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

11/15/2016
    25. Texas A&M
    24. Stanford
    23. Florida
    22. Washington State
    21. Western Michigan
    20. Boise State
    19. Tennessee
    18. Nebraska
    17. Florida State
    16. LSU
    15. Auburn
    14. West Virginia
    13. USC
    12. Utah
    11. Oklahoma State
    10. Colorado
    9. Oklahoma
    8. Penn State
    7. Wisconsin
    6. Washington
    5. Louisville
    4. Clemson
    3. Michigan
    2. Ohio State
    1. Alabama

17. Brando2101

Solid ranking IMO. Glad to see they have Clemson ahead of Louisville unlike the AP poll. Both teams have the same record and Clemson beat Louisville. It's possible OU sneaks into the playoffs if they beat #11 Ok St and #14 West Virginia, Ohio St beats Michigan then Wisconsin and Washington loses to Colorado. You have to wonder how Colorado wouldn't hop over OU if they win the pac 12 but we'll see.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Please give us a 6 team playoff

19. PhiSlammaJamma

It might be nice to have a play in game for non P5 too so that teams like Western Michigan and Houston don't have to go undefeated for 2 seasons just to get a chance, which nobody wants to admit is happening, because supposedly the Committee doesn't work like that, but c'mon, it is.

20. Brando2101

Houston has not gone undefeated for 2 seasons or 1 season for that matter. Lot like anyone would notice considering they can only fill 35,000 seats in a tiny 40k stadium. I'm sorry but it's hard to feel bad for a team whose fans don't care enough to show up to games.

8 game playoff, big 5 champs and 3 wildcards.

#820 Brando2101, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016