1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 8, 2016.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly!!!!! We play almost all the best teams in the NFL. How many teams play NE, Kansas City, Denver, AND Oakland. The only team we haven't played with 7 wins is Dallas. Speaking of Dallas, an AFC team with 4 wins is giving them a struggle. That just goes to show the AFC is a tougher league.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Steelers are much better than 4-4. They are just bad on the road. Completely different team at home. The AFC overall is pretty bad.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't think the AFC is as bad as the NFC, but time will tell. Regardless, we have to win our division to make the playoffs, with all the high records in the AFC, so I'm just glad we came away with another win.

4. Malaya

Malaya Member

We had success on side to side movement behind the LOS to give room to Griffin, Anderson for TDs, and Hunt for his runs in this game.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The Commissioner has asked Brock Osweiler to turn over his cell phone for evidence on account they think he is deflating Texans fans.

ramotadab and Houstunna like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-hou-jax-grades/

Quarterback grade: Brock Osweiler, 69.9

Osweiler efficient, though attempted limited deep passes

This wasn’t a bad game by Brock Osweiler, though he wasn’t asked to do much downfield. Attempting just seven passes traveling 10 yards or further downfield, completing two for 26 yards. That included going zero-for-two on throws 20 yards or more downfield. He was efficient, though, completing 12-of-17 passes either behind or within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Top offensive grades

OT Duane Brown, 90.1

C Greg Mancz, 83.2

FB Jay Prosch, 80.7

TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, 72.3

HB Akeem Hunt, 71.9

Strong rushing attack fuels Texans’ win

The passing game didn’t need to do much thanks to a strong showing on the ground. It started with Lamar Miller, who was unlucky not to score after breaking off a 45-yard run, finishing the game with 60 of his 83 yards coming after contact. Akeem Hunt, a 2015 undrafted free agent from Purdue, flashed some potential in his first action of the year after being activated from the practice squad, forcing a missed tackle and averaging 7.1 yards per carry, despite having a long run called back thanks to a holding penalty.

Top defensive grades

LB Benardrick McKinney, 87.3

CB Charles James, 80.4

CB Kareem Jackson, 80.1

S Quentin Demps, 80.0

LB Brian Cushing, 79.9

Big plays fuels Texans’ defense in winning effort

Houston’s defense took advantage of Bortles’ errors, including a pick-six from Kareem Jackson. Brian Cushing had a good day in run defense, as he had four tackles and an assist in 20 snaps against the run. Texans LB Benardrick McKinney had a good day defending the pass, as he was targeted six times, yielding five receptions but for only 18 yards. McKinney also added three tackles in 20 snaps against the run. The Texans’ defense was solid all day, and if not for a pass interference call late in the game, would have turned this into a big-time performance.

awc713 likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Good getting the win. Division games are more likely to be close, I think.

Defense playing very well as things considered.

Brock looks like wasted years of fandom.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ben's injury is the biggest reason for PIT's record.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm somewhere in between "6-3, great! I'll take that every year!" and being sick of this team's mind numbing conservatism putting themselves in stupid situations. Idk how they win, idk why it's always hey-we'll-take-ugly-wins kind of wins...just win baby.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Is Nick Martin out all season? Would be a great addition if not. IIRC, he was playing at a high level before his injury.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  12. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Have yet to watch the game but Brock did at least two things I've been screaming for. Make the plays he needs to make (2Tds) and take care of the ball. I gotta say that's progress. Oh apparently those Tds came in the red zone.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Anyone else notice how bad the secondary looked today? The CBs were giving up big play after big play.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Good win for sure. Could have been more impressive, but divisional games are expected to be close.

Lol @ Brock's numbers though. 2 TDs are nice but 14/27 for 99 yards? Yikes. Offense is going to need to put up points/long drives next week against that Raiders defense otherwise we'll be in for a long night.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Was the Mercilus play an interception or fumble recovery? I have seen it referred to as an interception, yet the box score shows it as a fumble recovery. I do not understand why it would be a fumble as Bortles (and box scores show him as the fumbler) clearly threw the ball. Is there a scoring rule explaining why it is considered a fumble?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They were missing probably their best CB.

Hopefully he will be back next week.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It may have been a backwards pass. That's the only way it could be ruled a fumble.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Combination of a really strong running game/gameplan, and being without two of your top WR's (which probably influenced said gameplan).

They did have their share of long drives. Points would/should have been better with FG's or making some easy conversions/avoiding stupid penalties.

Also, with the offensive line being absolute dog **** today, there's a pretty good chance there would have been at least one game-changing turnover with more passing/less running.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

PFF: 10 BEST PLAYERS FROM SUNDAY’S WEEK 10 NFL ACTION

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-best-players-from-sundays-week-10-nfl-action/

CometsWin, studogg and deb4rockets like this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

A win is a win is all I have to say. It was ugly but hey were perfect against our divisional foes.

On to the game, I hate to say this after a win but good grief Brock is horrible. Props for the two touchdowns passes but man oh man this dude is outright timid. Even when there was no real pressure, his ticking time bomb inside of head had him rushing to get the pass off. I mean damn it go through your progression. Look off the defenders for crying out loud. Even with a damn good running game the play action didn't work.

We are winning despite Brock's horrendous play.

Man was Novak trying to blow this game. Was he paid off or something.

Good thing the Jags are a terrible team huh. Because if they weren't, we would have lost.

Defense was very solid. We had a few hiccups here and there though. But overall they played solid football.

I will tell you we miss both Bouye and Johnson.