1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start KJ McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sufiank, Oct 27, 2016.

1. opticon

opticon Member

I don't think kj needs to start, bit I do think he needs startets minutes.

Hopefully when Bev comes back Kj will keep his minutes and Brewer will be pushed out of the rotation come completely.

2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

KJ got 22 minutes last night and produced good enough to earn that again, and hopefully consistently. I don't think he is ready to start yet, and definitely not for Gordon...and after last night definitely not for Ariza. But hopefully he does take ALL of Brewer's minutes from here on out. I do think we still need an upgrade at the 3, and preferably Ariza off the bench.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not what +/- means. Plus minus is just the point differential for that players minutes on the court.

You're describing a different stat. A real stat but has a different name. I think it's called the simple rating. 82games.com uses it. I like it too as it normalizes an individuals plus/minus with other factors - like how good the team is overall, or he strength of the lineup they were in, etc.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bickerstaff's coaching last season mystifies me more each day that goes by.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Imagine if KJ had actually took Sewer's minutes last year like he should have. He'd either be much more developed by now as a player or at the very least we'd have found out a lot more about him.

Pen15clubber and Little Bit like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is one of many gaffs by Bickerstaff, and maybe even the most obvious of them all. And despite this, there are people who believed that James Harden was the Rockets problem last season. Amazing. Truly.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  7. ch44

ch44 Member

The more he is in the positive, the more it means the Rockets are bad with him off the floor though. So if he is a 0, it means they still do the same with him off the floor. It won't happen, but it would be ideal that we don't suck without him.

Edit: I think I am describing the adjusted plus minus and not the traditional one, so never mind my argument here.

#27 ch44, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Is KJ capable of facilitating? Perhaps let him take Ennis' minutes as well?

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

KJ can barely dribble the ball for himself, much less facilitate.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

MDA said post game that he has to adjust Eric Gordon's substitution pattern because the current substitution pattern makes it difficult for Gordon to stay in rhythm, maybe we will see KJ starting next game?

11. hakeemthagreat

KJ needs more minutes. I agree 100% in everybody trashing Brewer. The guys just needs to go. The worst part is Brewer gets in the game and just goes crazy barreling into places theres no room, forcing plays that aren't there & turning the ball over. I'd like to know why he can't just play within himself and take what the defense give him.

12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I was at the game last night and watched KJ, Gordon, Dekker, Brew, and Capela play amazing D possession after possession. That lineup extended the lead for the starters to 16 points bc the D was great and fast break was better. It's amazing how D can change the course of a game so quick when you dedicate yourself to it and last night showed. There was a play where Harden turned the ball over and sprinted back on D when as before he would've just given up. I also saw A LOT of talking among rocket players on both ends of the court which was pretty impressive to say the least. Yea Brew may not be what we want him to be but dude brings a lot of hustle, pace, and defense to this team. Yea KJ deserves more than half his minutes but MDA is doing a great job bringing on gradually rather than scare him off.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am definitely rooting for everyone but KJ McDaniels. His anti-cop tweet lost me as a fan. Go Rockets!

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

But is he a better option than Ennis?

15. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

His new haircut lost me. No way in hell that hair doesn't force him to change his shot. If KJ makes a 3 tonight I'm shaving my head and putting a video of it on internets.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

The problem is he cannot shoot at a high enough %, if he is not dunking then his numbers go way down.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94, JJWhat? and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A promise is a promise.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

KJ needs more minutes, and I think the staff knows it, but they have to showcase Brewer.

I guess it's not that bad his minutes aren't going up fast. I still feel uneasy or suspicious when KJ is in there, but he has been surprisingly improved this season. Not great. Not amazing. I know that increased minutes will mean decreased production. But he is on the right track, and I think he CAN be our Ariza replacement by the end of this season.

He really suits this offense. I do wish he would grab more rebounds though, even as a G/F. But I'm fine with baby steps. This season is all about finding a developing guys like KJ to see what we can carry over into next season.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i ohpe this is another showcase brewer thing like they did last season. but at least he didnt get like 25+min and kj got 5 or less. andas much as i kid i know brewer isnt that bad. he's been playing better this season and he should with mda's offene anyone would. but i really dont want him over kj or dekker. dont mind him as a reserve incase of injuries.