1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Are the 2016-17 Houston Rockets a 50-win team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

FIRST! (ok, now time to listen)

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Thanks guys. Always enjoy the podcasts.

If healthy and Bev comes back right this team is a 52-56 win team IMO

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hopefully Clutch won't get as bummed out this season so he can grace us with more podcasts.

Rockets were so disappointing last season, Clutch could barely muster conversation.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That season played a role perhaps but podcasts generally take a lot of time for me to put together so I haven't done them as often. I do think this season should be a lot less frustrating to watch.

Nick_713 likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

As long as the team shows effort I will watch and go to games. Last season did nothing but piss me off. Team just didn't care.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"You can bet your bottom dollar"

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Great minds think alike.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Great stuff.

I kinda agree on KJ. I like his effort and athleticism, but I'm not really sure he's at the point of being a really good contributor.

The defense has to be top half for the Rockets to be a 50 win team. What if the defense is bottom 10, worse than last year?

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Thanks for podcast, guys

Way too much trust for Nene from both of you.

Nene's legs are dead, he's injured every major part of both legs and that's why he can't defend anything on the regular basis anymore, he can't make a step close to a perimeter without committing a foul on a driving player.

His body was LITERALLY EVERYTHING for his game since his day one in the NBA and now it's essentialy gone.

We also have to remember that he is a former cancer patient and all those treating proccesses are damaging athletes bodies more than any other particular injury.

I've listened to Joe Young on Bill Simmons latest podcast, who is a Wizards fan and attending every game for them for the years, and he also said that Nene didn't defend anything, he was a dead weight on a team.

With his injury story and most importantly with his body being destroyed by medicine in his tough fight with cancer, there is no way he could get better in terms of health by any means, so no need to rely heavily on him. It would be just worse. Sad, but true

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting take, @_RTM_ ... I hadn't thought of that being a reason for his market value being down. I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason, to be honest with you. I still would have thought he would have gotten more money on the open market.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great podcast! Enjoyed it. I am predicting 47 wins and the 5th seed. Looking forward to the season!

Clutch likes this.
  13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm predicting 56 wins because I think Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson stay healthy. That and of course because I'm an eternal optimist. Add to the fact that I think the personnel on this team are almost perfect for a D'Antoni team. IMO, this is the best supporting cast that has been around James Harden in terms of what type of ball they are trying to play. I think in previous seasons we have tried to force round pegs in square holes by signing players that were not particularly good outside shooters and expecting them to consistently hit open 3's.

Last, I saw how good James was 2 seasons ago when he was fully engaged. That team won so many games wth DMo as the 2nd best player and a bunch of nobodies throughout most of the season. I thought James should have been the MVP that season. As good as James was last season he was not 2014 / 2015 season James. I think we see the best James Harden this season. So even if one of Ryan or Eric get injured I still think the Rockets can win close to 50 games and make the play-offs. If both stay healthy I think they will challenge for the 2nd seed in the play-offs this season.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

48 - 52 right now.

We are fortunate that the league is weaker than it has been in the past. (IE less two+ star teams).

Outside of GSW, LAC, SAS and CLE, I don't think anyone is clearly better than us, so that bodes well.

15. atam

atam Member

This is not a 50 win team. I think we go 45-37. Getting 48 wins I think would be a great season, and I think we pick up the 6th seed and play LAC in the first round. Thanks to GS becoming more stacked, the rest of the West has gotten weaker. With SA's LMA "problems" looming and the fact that Duncan's presence will be incredibly missed, I think Portland may shock everyone and take the 2 seed.

Jontro likes this.
  16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Good podcast with you and Bima. Is a 50 win season possible? Of course, but I still see it as unlikely. Houston will still be much closer to 50 wins compared to 41 wins though.

Clutch likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

always good stuff #1 breh.

just wondering, do you ever think about having a veteran cf breh to join in your podcast? maybe tinman, swoley, or a3po.

if i were in houston, i would love to join and drop my knowledge on hangout stuff. no garm tho.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I reckon this team could realistically target 54-55 win range.

I think this team has renewed focus and commitment, and I feel like the team is better off being underdogs that the favorites. Most importantly, Rockets have 2 sharp shooters now, and one guy that could legitimately run the offense (Eric Gordon) and create his own shot.

However, I feel like everything is contingent upon MDA. I don't think McHale was as bad as some people portray him to be, but I also think MDA was underutilized in his prior coaching stints.

One thing is for certain, although the Rockets still showed stagnation at times on offense during the off-season, they were also getting quite a lot of seriously high quality looks that you would never expect the team to have last season.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

46-49 wins barring major injuries of course. a lucky guess

20. toycannon

toycannon Member