1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

36 years old with clear injury problems...it will be very interesting to see what Hill commands this offseason.

I'd be down with a 6-man rotation: Kuechel, LMJ, Hill, Pineda, Musgrove and Fiers. Or sub out Pineda with another arm. I'm surprised more teams haven't already moved to a 6-man rotation...there has to be some evidence that it isn't as efficient as it appears.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

6 less starts by your best pitcher, and those 6 extra starts would be made by your worst pitcher. 6 man is overkill, some pitchers feel it's too much and they don't feel as sharp. It's better to just go with 5 and one in reserve to replace the guy that inevitably will get hurt. You want your best pitchers making 32/33 starts if they don't have a hiccup.

oelman44 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Got to it this morning with my coffee. Very much a human-interest story about being an Astros fan, very well-written by Htowns John Nova Lomax. It may show up online someday, but not yet.

Max, pick up a copy, you and your kids would love it.

MadMax likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just found it!! http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/another-season-of-loving-the-houston-astros/

EDIT:

Holy crap, who's cutting onions? That may be the most relateable article I've ever read...from Doran to Springer. To Astros baseball being the backdrop and in the nuances of every summer of my life.

Thanks so much for letting me know about it, Buck.

#284 MadMax, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Also, Verlander seems likely to fall off a cliff given his age and pitch count this past year. Neither he nor Chris Sale were missing as many bats as they used to. Both of them worked real hard to amass the strikeout numbers they did. I wouldn't think either worth what it would take to acquire them.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

More funny than serious, but with Milwaukee rebuilding and Detroit needing to trim payroll, what about trading back for Carter, Villar, and Martinez. Carter would be pretty much a salary dump, while Villar and Martinez would each probably cost 2 pretty good prospects. But both would definitely solidify the lineup:

3B Villar
    CF Springer
    LF Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    RF Martinez
    1B Gurriel
    C Gattis
    DH Carter

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oops, wrong thread

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Fabulous article. I'm too young to relate on the Doran years, but the Killer B's are firmly embedded in my childhood memories. I still contend that an Astros championship might be the only instance where I actually cry tears of joy. I'm a die-hard Texans, Rockets, and Aggies fan (I might come close to tears if any of them win a title), but there's something about the Astros that pulls at my heartstrings just a little bit more.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah, I get that. I just think it makes sense (both financially and competitively), to have your best arms adequately rested. If a 5-man rotation is plenty rest for Kuechel and LMJ, then I agree. But if they could both benefit (as well as the Astros) from a 6-man rotation, then I'd certainly consider it IF there was a viable candidate for the 5th and 6th slots.

10. toycannon

toycannon Member

Time to upgrade our starting and relievers.

We need to get one stud starter and other solid #. We need a to get a new 7th and 8th setup reliever and a new closers (Chapman is the top FA)...let's get him.

11. Buck Turgidson

I thought you'd like that... it hit me right in the feel-bone as I was reading it, especially the family aspect...

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Talk about making someone feel old....

raining threes likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

He was my favorite Stro back then, my dad was a Terry Puhl man.

The paragraph about Spec Richardson made me cringe yet again, I'm glad I didn't get to live through that. What was the thinking at the time in the papers and among the fans? (...if you can remember)

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even though I was around 10 when his tenure started I remember that people were all over Richardson back then. His trades tended to turn out poorly. And Bowie Kuhn didn't help. He should have voided the Staub to Montreal trade when Clendenon refused to come to Houston.

The talent he essentially gave away set the franchise back for years - Morgan, Colbert, Mayberry, Staub, Cuellar...

raining threes likes this.
  15. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Excellent article, thanks for sharing. It's unfortunate that writing that good is more the exception than the norm in newspapers and journals today.

16. raining threes

The thinking was

Oh crap, Spec just made another trade.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Olney: Tigers open for business, willing to trade anybody

A few others:
    Anibal Sanchez
    2017: $16M
    2018: $16M team option / $5M buyout

Cameron Maybin
    2017: $9M team option / $1M buyout

Francisco Rodriguez
    2017: $6M team option / $2M buyout

Mike Pelfrey
    2017: $8M

Mark Lowe
    2017: $5.5M

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

According to the Book of Baseball, extra day of rest seemed to harm starting pitchers worse than playing on short-rest. The 5 man rotation is what works best, and there's no need to change that.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No Kidding. Doran was my Astro buddy in the 80's.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Terry Puhl is still who I think of when I think of a fundamentally sound outfielder.

Bill Doran was an underrated player and a flat out stud with the glove.

Kevin Bass is one of the most down to earth people to ever play big league baseball.