1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Syria is heartbreaking.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dankstronaut, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I did as much reading as I could do. I read because I was asked a question and didn't know. I read because I wanted to understand...

I don't understand.

Part of me wants to say **** em. Theyve had some war going in that region for like 8,000 years. I'm surprised there's anyone left but whoever is left **** em. I hope they dig everyone a grave.

Part of me wants to say we've got the most well funded digging company with the biggest, baddest shovels. We'll dig em a hole alright...

Part of me wants to accept refugees. The other part reminds they are rebels.

Part of me wants to arm them. The other part reminds that's a horrific idea...and hasn't worked anywhere else. Creating jihadists....not wise

I read that Russia needs Syria. So they are somewhat sponsoring the killing but also fighting ISIS. Whose friggin side is anyone on? Peace? There will be no peace here, not ever. Not as long as two slightly different versions of the same religion exist near each other (eye roll to that)...

So round I go. **** em. Kill em. Help em. Leave them be. Repeat.

My heart is broken for the innocent people, the children mostly. They see this, they will experience undue levels of torment...and they will repeat it if they're lucky enough to be the next generation of broken, miserable, enslaved combatants in the most unecessary, unending, stupid fight this planet will probably ever know.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Russia wants Syria to be a buffer for them a secular buffer between them and the hard core Islamists....can't really blame them.

It is sad all the way around.

DD

3. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Not wanting to be near extremists is an opinion and a context I can understand. Even agree with.

Supporting a regime that's killing its own with chemical weapons seems like probably not the same sentiment. One might even label that as extremist.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

#4 Exiled, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It's harsh, but **** the refugees.

This is one of the few things I still agree with Trump over Clinton 100%. Clinton keeps saying that the refugees are mainly women and children, but I don't want the wives and children of Syrian fighters in this country ever (or even the chance of it).

6. bacliff

bacliff Member

Not our problem. Let others spend a fortune trying to figure it out. Brings all troops worldwide home now.

7. TheresTheDagger

Since when did we become responsible for this? Do you think anyone in any other part of the world cares about our homeless problem...or our vet care...or any of our problems?

You can feel sorry for them, but personally I'm focusing on helping those right here in my own community first. We can worry about others when we solve all our own problems.

bacliff likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we had a homeless problem like the Syrian refugee problem then yes they would care. That is why they are taking in many times the number of Syrian refugees we are.

The whole anti-refugee thing is ridiculous. The refugees already have to wait 2 years to get into the U.S. with our already extensive vetting. If terrorists wanted to come into the United States they would be better off just entering illegally and much quicker than the 2 years of vetting they would have to undergo as refugees.

These refugees are victims of both ISIS and the murderous dictator Assad. Assad is far worse than Sadam was to his people. Assad continues to use chemical weapons against his people, imprisons and tortures anyone who speaks against him and does it regularly. There are rebel groups against Assad that aren't ISIS. ISIS is only one of the groups against Assad.

When there is humanitarian crisis in the world, the right thing and the good thing is to offer help. This is at crisis level. I would rather not have another instance like prior to WWII where the U.S. did not accept victims of the holocaust and they ended up dying at the hands of the Nazis. Better to be proactive.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

It's just such a shitshow over there, not that blame lay at the feet of Clinton or the Obama administration....but our meddling in the Middle East has seemingly never helped. Like....never ...and it's one of those glossed over, nothing to see here topics. Trump has mentioned it I believe and his whole campaign right now is detracting Clinton but he's such an arrogant tool it becomes easier to dismiss what he says.

Our foreign aid numbers, in the face of so many domestic problems and needs is startling. I'm sure it does some good, I am almost completely ignorant of why and what it goes toward but you see the sheer volume of money pouring into the world. You see those numbers going to countries I'm pretty sure hate the US. Probably something I should not read more into, lest I ruin my Friday.....

I don't think isolation is the right answer and most countries in the world don't have the resources to "help" us. I commend you in whatever effort you're making in our community though. There's certainly no shortage of need here.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's all about russia. each for their own reasons, us/eu/ksa/qatar all want to replace russian gas to eu with qatari gas. hence the funding/arming of merceneries the past several years to clear the way for the pipeline. hundreds of thousands dead along with mass destruction, all collateral damage in a wholly manufactured chessboard conflict

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Syria is a nightmare like few others right now in the world. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the Frontline documentary that aired this week Confronting ISIS. It does an admirable job of trying to explain in two hours what would otherwise take days: the quagmire of the rebels fighting Assad, the Turkish hate for Kurdish groups, Shia/Sunni militia violence in Iraq, Russian airstrikes aimed largely at preserving Assad, the reluctance of Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations to enter the fight, despite their theological similarities to ISIS, the proxy war in Yemen, Jordan's involvement, etc.

I really have no idea what will happen and I doubt anybody does. Senior Obama administration officials described Syria as a quagmire the likes of which haven't been seen in decades. While Americans have no political appetite for "boots on the ground," we also want to destroy ISIS. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anything good will fill the void when that is gone.

Dankstronaut, jo mama and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a huge proxy war that could lead to a larger war if things don't settle down. Turkey could've caused a shitstorm with Russia by pulling NATO into it. After the failed coup, they're bff while Hillary just double downed on the Kurds by name dropping then in a debate.

The Syrian peoples are rightfully hopeless as it's not really their war anymore.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What grievances did Syrian rebels have against Assad that Arabians do not currently have against the Salafis?

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is a long list including use of chemical weapons against civilians. I won't list all of the instances here. The amount and extent of torture against political opponents. The amount and extent of oppression against dissident voices.

Much of that goes on in Saudi Arabia, but the degree, frequency, and extent is far greater in Syria.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

They are taking more refugees in part because they are closer to the conflict, and there is a great deal of buyers remorse in most of Europe.

List most things, it is not an easy topic.

I don't think it is ridiculous, it is a huge undertaking for any country. You are discussing a large financial obligation and very possible conflicts in the decades after refugees in. Personally I do not mind the USA taking in well educated refugees with skills. I am against the USA absorbing hundreds of thousands of refugees that have no formal education.

I cannot agree with you here.

Assad is not far worse than Saadam Hussein. While I would prefer someone other than Assad, he is secular and far better than the other candidates that have emerged. I also have a wife that is from the Middle East; and Saadam had a level of complete control in Iraq that Assad and that familial dynasty can only dream about.

I do draw some parallels with Jews and the refugees. Neither group is Christian, and both groups are viewed as culturally different. History has forgot that Jews were committing quite a bit of terrorism and were often aligned with anarchists or Communism. Having said that, there is no Nazi Germany type entity openly killing Syrians. So the overall comparison is a little off.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Hussein was also secular. Hussein actually stopped using chemical weapons and was held in check. Assad has not stopped using chemical weapons. His torturing of political opponents is as bad as anything that Saddam has done.
    It is definitely not identical to the Nazi/Holocaust situation. But there is a humanitarian crisis there just as there was in Europe under the Nazis. There are refugees fleeing for their lives just like there was back then. It isn't a holocaust situation. The comparison was more refugees to refugees and so much Assad to the Nazis.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Not saying it is right or wrong but actions have consequences, Syrian people demanded change, this is the result. The lesson is that change is not always good.
    People in England wanted changed and is now going to be out of the EU, we will see how that plays out in the future. This November we will see this play out in the US too, do we really want the changes Trump says he will bring? Let the voters speak with their votes on Nov 8.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think the change away from Assad was a great idea, and demanding it was what should happen. It's never okay to go ahead and stick with a murderous dictator who may imprison or torture your family because you are afraid of what will happen if you demand change.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How dare they want to get out from under a brutal dictator....clearly they had this coming. That's really a good message to send people. If you're under a dictatorship, life with it or you deserve what happens to you if you try to overthrow that dictatorship and fail.

DudeWah likes this.
  20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Right or wrong is another story, but if you ask the Syrians today, how many of them would say they would demand changes if they could do things all over again? I bet most of them would just want to carry on their lives as before if they had a second chance.

We can talk about this from the safety of the United States and say they should change, but what if you have to lose many members in your family to change something? Would you be so quick to say it is right?