1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team will never win anything with Brock Osweiler at QB!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Mar 8, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Member

He certainly acts like a Franchise QB which is a great step to play like one. Everyone position group on offense, OLine, WRs, TEs, RBs, and QB, needs to improve. We've seen bad drops, bad routes, bad protection, meek running game, invisible TEs, different playcaller, etc... He can't play like a Franchise QB with all of those issue. But those issues are expected when you rebuild an entire offense and you've had injuries. So it might take him awhile because it will take all of them awhile.

Two Sandwiches and Joshfast like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Yeah, see - here's the problem - "along with others" only made an appearance *after* you were called on exclusively blaming Brock. But here's what great about you retroactively trying to make that part of the conversation...

Within the very same post, you drop the "along the others" and are back to exclusively blaming Brock...

The Texans prioritized resigning Brooks; the Eagles overwhelmed him with an offer that guaranteed him $21MM, which is 8th among all interior OL. That was too rich for the Texans, Brock or no Brock.

You're *still* blaming Brock, despite the fact we've repeatedly told you that they had room under the cap. At the start of the offseason, they had $42MM. Even after the spending spree (Osweiler, Miller, Allen and Begrstrom), they *still* had $10.3MM in cap space - and that was before reaping the space created by jettisoning Hoyer.

Brock Osweiler ("along with others") did not prevent the Texans from signing OL.

RocketTOOL likes this.
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

We had 10 million BEFORE the draft. We most certainly couldnt get a high level OL for what we had left. Osemele would have been nice. And what's your deal with the word "blame"? Whether it's Brock's contract or anyone elses, there is limited cap space....duh.

Will it make you feel better if I say Lamar's contract prevented us from signing a top level OL?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

You need to get over yourself..."retroactively"...lol what a joke.

The total sum of all contracts spent on players means that less money can be dedicated to signing others. Thats ALL that is being said, stop trying to make it something it isnt.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair. Would you rather Okung and maybe another OL with Hoyer? Or Nick Martin, what was supposed to be a better Allen, and Brock?

Joshfast likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We have so many new players on offense, and a new QB trying to learn that offense. Somehow (probably due to ease of schedule, we are 3-1. I honestly think this offense, and Brock will get better each game as they start to gel. So many new variables, who expected elite production? Give it some time.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

I'd 100% take Brock at that time....had I known Lynch would be available in the 1st round for us, I may have leaned in that direction. But, I never had any issues with the Brock signing and I never had issues with the dollar amount. The Texans needed something done. However, I would have also been fine with giving Savage a shot. I always thought the Texans misplayed him last year by sending him to IR, when we could have had a nice sample size to see what he could give us this season. You win the NFL by dominating the trenches. It doesnt matter if you have Rodgers at QB if your OLine is a bunch of scrap pieces, so I always have the mindset that you need to do everything you can to build from the inside out.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The same evolution? Of course not, but he has had a massive advantage over rookie quarterbacks because he is older and more mature, and has been studying with NFL coaching for the last four seasons. The situation is not that similar to a rookie quarterback.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

You do realize a lot of college coaches have NFL experience or backgrounds?

Once again I don't understand your logic.

Joshfast likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agree on the Savage to IR move. Would have definitely been nice to use him last year and see what he's got. Definitely need an Oline no matter who your QB is (see Luck). Are there any up for FA next year? gettting Martin back, and drafting 2 OL then looking OL in FA we could be all set across the board.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Really? You mean there is cross over between college and the NFL? I didn't know that... wow.

What is there not to understand? Brock has spent 5 years in the NFL, where he has been coached by NFL coaches to compete in the NFL, he has been an understudy of other NFL QB's, been around NFL locker rooms and the life style for years. Not to mention that he is older and more mature than a true rookie QB.

There is no doubt that actually consistently playing in games is important, but comparing Brock to a rookie is simply not factually true. He has studied and prepared for years.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Rookies have an advantage going up against live bullets for a 3-4 year period as compared to a guy who has sat for 4 years building cob webs.

As many have noticed, we are seeing improved overall play from rookie QB's coming out of college. The college game is becoming more and more like the NFL.

To suggest he has a leg up on rookies is a questionable statement in my opinion.

Joshfast likes this.
  13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I didn't get putting him on IR either last year. I said during pre season that I expected all 3 to get some starts,because I didn't think any of them were good enough to lock down the job for the full season.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. To add to it, Brock might not even fully grasp everything until the last quarter of the season or maybe even until the start of next season. Sitting for 4 years can take a toll. He played decent last season because there was no real game tape on him. After a few starts teams can start picking up on things.

That brings me to the titans game. First two drives Texans rolled to two touchdowns. They picked up what the Texans were doing and adjusted. That's where BOB has to start making adjustments.

Not making adjustments is what's killing us. If something doesn't work we just try to keep doing it until it does.

#734 red5rocket, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Htownballer38 and Joshfast like this.
  15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So Brock suppose to immediately light up the NFL basically.

16. Buck Turgidson

Where did anyone say that?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only two options are instantly elite or bust. There's nothing in between apparently.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

People keep bring up the fact that he's been in the NFL for 5 years. Like that suppose to have some type of barring on how he's playing.

Like I said before people need to give the man some time.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I would he happy if he was as good as Schaub his first year here. Schaub was also 26 in a new system but had fewer starts.

So far, he isn't there.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member