1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets season preview (Hoopshype.com)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jgreen91, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Delete or lock if already posted. I think we can be better than 6th.
    http://hoopshype.com/2016/10/06/nba-season-preview-houston-rockets/

STAYING: Trevor Ariza, Patrick Beverley, Corey Brewer, Clint Capela, Sam Dekker, James Harden, Montrezl Harrell and KJ McDaniels.

ADDED: Ryan Anderson (New Orleans), Bobby Brown (Besiktas), Tyler Ennis (Milwaukee), Eric Gordon (New Orleans), PJ Hairston (Memphis), Nenê (Washington), Chinanu Onuaku (Louisville), Gary Payton II (Oregon State), Pablo Prigioni (LA Clippers), Isaiah Taylor (Texas) and Kyle Wiltjer (Gonzaga).

GONE: Michael Beasley (Milwaukee), Andrew Goudelock (Maccabi Tel Aviv), Dwight Howard (Atlanta), Terrence Jones (New Orleans), Donatas Motiejunas, Josh Smith, Jason Terry (Milwaukee) and Marcus Thornton (Washington).

STRENGTHS: There’s only a few franchise-changing players and the Rockets have one of them inJames Harden … In terms of offensive production, it doesn’t get much better than The Beard … Clear candidate to lead the league in scoring … Offensive repertoire is incredible … Puts so much pressure on opponent’s defenses driving to the basket … Plenty of three-point shooters … Harden, Patrick Beverley, Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson will bomb away … Scoring and spacing have typically been strenghts of Mike D’Antoni‘s teams … Super intriguing center in Clint Capela, who looks more than ready to play a bigger role … Tremendous potential as a defender … As far as chemistry and effort, the only way is up.

WEAKNESSES: Point guard play … Rockets will experiment with Harden at the position … We’ll see how that works … They have a more than decent full-time point guard in Beverley, but he’s nowhere near star level – which is what most contenders have at PG spot … They are going to have to ride Harden a lot, which can take a toll on his body … A squad that struggled on the defensive end hired D’Antoni as head coach … That should be interesting … Depth is nothing to call home about … They are not going to overwhelm opponents with athleticism … A lot of questions about Gordon‘s durability … D’Antoni didn’t get along all that well with some of the superstars he coached recently… What’s going tp happen with Harden?

PREDICTION: 2nd in the Southwest Division, 6th in the Western Conference.

SALARIES:

[​IMG]

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Did Hairston fly with the team to china?

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I disagree with depth being an issue. One of last seasons greatest shortcomings was inability to get the bench involved. Inability to define roles. I think they have 9 legit players and this isn't including DMo.

Unlocking the bench, defining roles...this will lead to better health, fuller gas tank and the ability to exploit and win different matchups. This was the very thing that got me amped against NY. The ball was moving and everyone got into the action. Last season seemed like they only scored 100 or better when harden scored 35. Against NY they scored what, 102 and harden 28?

TheRealAllpro and oelman44 like this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yes Depth to me is a strength and why are we just writing off Eric Gordon off as a bench scoring threat when James sits.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

People are underestimating how wide-open the West is after GSW-SAS-LAC.

6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

FIFY. Clippers suck. Always will. They peaked the year we beat them

Tha TC and Von Rafer like this.
  7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

No one's saying they're a contender, but they'll get to 50-55 wins on talent. Easily.

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Oh no doubt. But what I'm saying is the clippers can land anywhere between the 2nd and 8th seed. I can see them having a very bad year like we did last year... ooor they can have an amazing year. They're consistent in the regular season but will blow it with injuries or choke jobs in the playoffs.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

When....when will be the year the Spurs finally taper off?!?!

Never was a big fan of the clippers because of the river of tears they bring to the court. Not that they're bad but I wouldn't consider them a league above this rockets team.