1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

San Diego sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 29, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Or Baytown.

2. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

la jolla and mission beach are legit, why would you go anywhere else in san diego??? and how dare you, those surfer bros are changing the world :p

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well yeah, pretty much anywhere is better than that place, especially if you are an immigrant worker.

DD

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in san diego specifically the pacific beach area. many many years.

the other city I know well is Houston also many many years. I willl give my two cents.

first off if you are looking to get laid san diego is NOT the place to do it. very true that the women there are few and far between with not much of thst hot latin woman element you might think. san diego is very much segregated so you get all the white anglo along with east coast wannabes. they usually manifest themselves in the form of a red sox fan. very unbecoming lots of frumpy pasty east coast skanks...and overall big picture this affects the scene. basically a bunch of brash east coast brahs.

so from a p***y and party perspective houstom is way better. there are some truly beautiful women in texas. Thst said I was in san diego one time at beach for 4th of july and they had not yet banned alcohol. the women were amazing that day. I think that was influx of arizona p***y which is its own spectacle. clafornia local brahs are a joke too, its a re meeing of the minds mixing guys like tommy lee with east coast brahs.from getting girls and overall women its houston by a landslide. disclaimer tijuana has beautiful prostitutes if thats your thing. I took many a visitor from houston to adelitas, hong kong bar, purple rain, and of course chicago bar. cocaine from the taco stand yadda yadda. again if thats your thing. compared to mens club or any other name, big time advantage san diego.

yes everything is slow paced. imo part of feeling bustly in houston is driving around everywhere in houston. thats not bustling thats just lame and unnecessary. in san diego I say Im going to post office and bank and it takes 2mins. in Houston it takes 40 minutes. thats not bustle or san diegos fault it takes you 35 mins less to do anything. I put 200 miles on my car a month in san diego. yes they are slow. whats the rush it wont take as long as in houston.

weather. the great decider of why you me and 80% of this board wants to move to san diego, my favorite time of the day in san diego is around10 am. buyer beware though since you go a few miles inland and its as hot as Hades or anywhere else in texas excpt now your place is small and now youu have fire season to deal with. high rent. and heat. advantage on weather obviously is san diego but tread carefully here you go inland san diego and it becomes a dusty hot no mans land in a second. inland sd the advantage is back to houston. I recommend la jolla, coronado, pb, del mar. if you are ok with a smaller somewhat ratty place built between 1976-1983 and you like glorious weather yes san diego wins and its not even close.

flat vs. natural beauty. san diego wins in spades.

food. southern food is pretty nice and in and out burger can only get you so far.
    the problem with san diego food is there is not much in between when talking eating out.
    its either 200 per person fancy in san diego or McDonald's. not many good local spots abd have to do tons of trial and error. being from texas the closest to tex mex wecould get on san diego was on the border and even that as you know is an eschelon below our standards of pappasitos, el tiempo, lupe tortilla, ninfas etc.
    they in the end do have some hidden eating gems. they certainly know how to incorporate avocado better than in tx. rubios was a hidden treat. found a good curry place in san diego. big time advantage on houston but eating seaside at jakes del mar is kinda not fair to anything houston has. houston wins but not by as much as you might think. if you like bbq or cajun you can forget about sd. also

the after hours and party scene eating late night sucks. after 2am everything moves to tijuana in terms of party.

special shout out to black beach full moon drum circle. when is the next full moon?

other notables is yeah you shouldn't have stayed downtown. if you like rollerblading, volleyball, pretty place, with nice beach and tremendous weather then coastal la jolla cant be beat and blow redondo,newport,venice, santa monica out of the water. you think the east coast brahs are bad I can only warn you the leave of poser in LA is on steroids. the posers in houston are more your gangster types. in LA its straight up poser and sd is a mix of east coast and local sd brahs. so totally different mindsets

houston has amenities sd does not like stores and first world things sometimes sd lags behind. I agree that can make it feel a bit orlandoish

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in San Diego now.

What drug are you smoking ?
    It must be powerful cause this place is way nicer than Houston.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Darth Didacus, the whole area in under his influence.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has the best weather in the US, but it was too laid back for me. I am an East Coast person and not a West Coast person. I did not take the job to my wife's disappointment. What are you doing in SD this weekend?

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm there for work but staying the weekend.
    Hotel is in the Gaslamp district .

10. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I stayed at the Gaslamp Courtyard for next to nothing. I was harassed my first night there by at least 10 people asking for money while I was just walking around the few blocks around the hotel.

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I've been in San Diego all week, specifically mission beach

I am in heaven here and trying to convince my wife to either move here or at the least buy a winter home on the coast in mission beach to give us an excuse to leave the Midwest each winter before the kid hits school age. also spent some of the week in la jolla but a winter home on the beach there is likely out of our price range

seriously, I am totally at bliss here

12. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Even though I want less tourists in area, I'm going to make some recommendations for my fellow clutchans:

1) Blind Lady Alehouse. AWESOME pizza. Great beer. Always poured in the proper glass through clean beer lines. Other places to get good Pizza are Buona Forchetta (South Park), Best Pizza and Brew (Cardiff). According to Tripadvisor, San Diego is the best Pizza town in America. Suck it, New York. It is incredibly easy to find good pizza here.
    2) Breakfast at Las Cuatro Milpas. Total dive/dump. AWESOME Mexican food. It's not Tex-Mex. It's not healthy. You can't get a margarita here. It's more Mexican than anywhere you've been before. They don't spend money on design and ambiance. It's in a crappy part of town, but close to downtown. The person you order from probably doesn't speak english. You're welcome. There is always a line on the weekend.
    3) Unless you are a nightclub and chain restaurant kind of person, avoid the Gaslamp district. Crappy parking, tourists and douche bags.
    4) LIke craft beer? Go to Toronado (North Park). Especially on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Great beer list. Good food. Other places for beer are Hamilton's (avoid Friday and Saturday night), Modern Times, Alpine (east of town in the hills), Societe, Ballast Point, Encinitas Alehouse (awesome burgers and bottled Belgian beer selection). If you like hoppy beer, don't give a **** about ambiance, like soccer, go to O'Brien's. They also have serviceable, inexpensive food, and crappy parking. Lots of good asian restaurants in the same area on Convoy.
    5) Herringbone, in La Jolla. More upscale, and amazingly good. Cucina Urbana is also very good and close to downtown.
    6) Oscar's Mexican seafood. The one on Turquoise on the border of PB and La Jolla). Great fish tacos and spicy shrimp tacos. Order the tacos, and walk over to Tourmaline Surf park and watch people surf the wildly crowded and not very good wave there. While you are in the area, go snorkeling or kayaking (morning is best before the wind picks up).
    7) If you do end up staying downtown/ Gaslamp, the Lion's share has great food and good beer and drinks. Monkey Paw has good beer and great Philly cheesesteaks.
    8) The wildly popular upscale restaurant called Juniper and Ivy isn't any good. I just saved you $100 per person. Yay! Neither is Kettner exchange.

moligity and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I always pictured San Diego based on "Three's Company". If I could live Jack Trippers life it would be grand.

14. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

There's a beer and sausage bar called the Reagle Beagle. It's good, too. And pretty close to the airport.

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's actually too hot this weekend. Damn Santa Anas got it up to like 85 degrees.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

unless you are sitting on millions,which I hope you are, a place there will cost that. mission,pb, la jolla are not cheap unfortunately.

note fair number of places are ratty in pb, mission beach. your place will be very small. you will not want your kid at crowne pointe elementary or pb middle school.

it is nice, has its downside. Op is incorrect but there are always pros and cons. you know that

17. tinman

Supporting Member

No such experience for me, everyone has been nice. food has been good, weather has been great.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I spent four days there and was not asked one time for money. Place was very pleasant.

19. joesr

joesr Member

If money wasnt an issue I would return to San D asap. Miss it

20. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Over exaggerating much? I always stay in Gaslamp and have never been harassed by anyone while walking around. You would think someone who was raised in the projects and then lived in Baltimore for school would be a little more humble and appreciative of being able to visit and potentially work in one of America's finer cities.

While I almost always prefer a trip to NY, I do get excited when my next visit to SD is coming up, which happens to be this week. It's nice to have a getaway with a "lack of urgency" every now and then.