1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(For Fun) Call Your Shot - Pick Any Two Players

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Because being arbitration eligible doesn't concern the White Sox. The White Sox do not want a total rebuild at this point, they have an 80+ year old owner, and could spin Springer off on a third team if needed. The Astros are not dealing Correa or Bregman for Chris Sale. McCullers is someone the Astros were willing to discuss so I would expect him to be a major piece involved in a deal for a legitimate #1 starter like Sale.

It comes down to what pieces of value will/won't be moved. It very well could be that the Astros end up targeting someone like Gray or Archer if the White Sox get cold feet again. The White Sox are notoriously difficult trade partners. Also the Red Sox are likely willing to gut their upper farm system/young MLB talent to get Sale. While the Astros are desperate, I don't believe they would be willing to go as far as the Red Sox.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'm not saying you're lying, but it would be incredibly stupid for Chicago to trade Sale and not do a total rebuild. Trading him to acquire players like Springer, given the paltry state of their farm, would only make them worse now without making them better down the road.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Springer loses value later in the line-up, IMO - he strikes out waaaaaay too much. He draws walks, has speed, pop - I think he's a terrific lead-off hitter, frankly.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Nothing worse than having Springer up in the early innings with men on base, and having him predictably strikeout.

The leadoff position is probably where his strikeouts cause the least amount of impact... and he can still get on base and provide early power.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think they are all conservative predictions. Those are more like deals that make sense, but in FA, players tend to get overpaid.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree

Although I wonder if some of the top spending teams will be a "little" more conservative in free agency this offseason, knowing guys like Bumgarner, Arrieta will be there the next offseason, then the huge talented class after 2018 that right now includes Harper, Kershaw, Fernandez, Machado, Donaldson, McCutchen and more

I know that's farther down the road than many teams think, but with the amount of dollars those guys will command, just wonder if that has any effect at all

7. Hey Now!

I would think being a 27-year good, not great, player would concern the White Sox. I can't imagine - as the centerpiece - Springer has enough juice to land an ace of Sale's ilk.

They are right to want Bregman or Correa - and someone is going to offer them a Correa or Bregman type if Sale is the prize.

8. The Beard

Other than the Red Sox offering Betts/Moncada, I can't think of another team that both has guys of that type AND would be willing to move them

9. Hey Now!

Bregman or Correa - important distinction: or. I would have to think there are plenty of teams that could offer a Bregman or Correa + McCullers-type.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Cubs? They have so much young position talent, though their rotation doesn't really need much help.

Dodgers as well have the young talent & need.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

While the Astros were playing the A's today, it occurred to me that they might make good trade partners this offseason. Oakland is pretty awful, but have a deep farm and some good young players and are essentially rebuilding. They have 3 good established MLB players who will reach arbitration this year who happen to fit need areas for Houston. Stephen Vogt is an aging catcher and could fall apart at any moment; but he makes a ton of sense for Houston as a guy they can pair with Gattis to evenly split the C and DH positions. As Vogt is left handed they would also make a very good platoon. And while Vogt is a good player, he probably wouldn't break the bank to acquire. Khris Davis was Oaklands best player this season, hitting 40 bombs. He will reach arbitration and those HR #s will make him expensive. He may be fairly costly to acquire, but a legit middle of the order hitter with 3 below market years of control is a valuable asset. Houston has a (dire?) need to add an outfielder with Gomez and Rasmus gone, and none of the young players laying firm claim to the CF/LF job. Finally, Sonny Gray will also reach arbitration this season. He's coming off of a down year and there are warning signs (4 straight seasons of increasing xFIP and some injury history). The As may be well served to sell before his stock gets any lower (and before they have to start paying him meaningful money). For grins, let's add a good lefty reliever in Sean Doolittle. Houston has the minor league depth to both trade for veterans and take an upside risk like Gray. So here's my proposal:

Astros get:
    C/DH Stephen Vogt
    OF Khris Davis
    SP Sonny Gray

A's get:
    SP David Paulino
    SP Mike Feliz
    1B AJ Reed
    OF Derek Fisher
    RP Brendan McCurry
    SP Brad Peacock
    C Max Stassi

Resulting roster:

OF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    OF Davis
    1B Gurriel
    C/DH Gattis
    C/DH Vogt
    OF Kemp

Bench: Marwin, White, Marisnick

Rotation: Keuchel, Gray, McCullers, McHugh, Musgrove
    Bullpen: Devenski, Fiers, Sipp, Doolittle, Hoyt, Harris, Gregerson, Giles

12. The Beard

Yea obviously we wouldn't deal both

So if there are plenty, who?

Who has a Bregman and McCullers type of combo they would be willing to deal for sale?

I've heard people say there are teams that would do it, I've yet to hear a player conbo of that level that an actual team would be willing to part with though

13. Hey Now!

Khris Davis is essentially Chris Carter 2.0. As Charlie Paillilo put it the other day: I'd like the Astros to aspire higher.

14. Hey Now!

The Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox; the Rangers, for sure (which should scare the ever-living **** of out everybody). The Nationals have a lot of young talent. If the Yankees want to talk about dealing Sanchez, they're in the mix.

The point is: the White Sox, who are not a bad baseball team, are going to have to have their sox blown off to deal Sale. And there will be plenty of teams willing to dump prospects in front of US Cellular; prospects much more highly-regarded than not-prospect, not-great George Springer.

15. The Beard

So who would they trade then? Again throwing out teams

What is the Correa/McCullers type of combo those teams have and would be willing to trade?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sox: Moncada/Benentendi/Devers
    Rangers: Gallo/Mazara/Profar/Mendez
    Dodgers: Urias/DeLeon
    Cubs: Jimenez/Schwarber

17. awc713

awc713 Member

For those wanting Ramos...

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We have to keep our TALENT . Our young core is what gives us a window in the first place . Bregman , Correa , and altuve all are musts .

What we have a lot of is room to increase salary . Well , for one of our needs ( SP) the free agent market is absolute trash . So we can spend some money getting bats / relievers but to improve our SP we have to look to trades or internally .

A type of trade that I would be in favor of is taking on a "bad " contract . I would rather not give up too much minor league talent as I feel that our recent trades have thinned the top of the system by quite a bit .

No Worries likes this.
  19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I would love for the team to go after Edwin Encarnacion and offer him a front loaded contract(similar to Scott Feldman's but obviously he'll cost more) He would fill a huge void at 1B/DH and all he does is drive in runs so imagine him in the 5 hole behind the "big 4"

Springer -RF
    Bregman - 3B/LF
    Altuve - 2B
    Correa - SS
    Encarnacion - 1B/DH
    Gurriel - 3B/1B/DH
    Gattis - C/DH
    Full time LF ?
    Marisnick - CF

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh I forgot to mention among the type of guys that Id kick the tires on : grienke, Santana , Bailey , shields ... A bunch of older guys who outside from grienke profile more as #3's if that . But they've all proven to be able to eat innings